Def. Coord. Dan Quinn post-1st Round 2022 Draft

HanD

Reaction score
Fredbeard started his first season and was already one of the best centers in the game. Dont compare the 2. Its apples to bowling balls.

did i compare them in my post?

fredbeard was a widely panned pick when it happened. no one thought he would step in and be one of the best centers. everyone laughed and said he was a 3rd rounder. Smith will step in and start at LG. he has lots of physical tools and is very smart.

conner01

Reaction score
I'd say he's thrilled. Better run game equals fewer defensive snaps.
If smith can be a dominate guard then it’s huge
I’d have preferred a guard who’s actually played guard to be my starter but we will see if they can get him ready to start

morasp

Reaction score
If smith can be a dominate guard then it’s huge
I’d have preferred a guard who’s actually played guard to be my starter but we will see if they can get him ready to start
I was severely disappointed last night but he sounds like the right pick. Our OL got pushed around in the wildcard game and they knew it. NFL had him ranked just below Zion Johnson and thinks Smith moves better in space.

conner01

Reaction score
I was severely disappointed last night but he sounds like the right pick. Our OL got pushed around in the wildcard game and they knew it. NFL had him ranked just below Zion Johnson and thinks Smith moves better in space.
Can Smith be ready to start day one?
I don’t doubt the guy has the tools to be a good guard and maybe even play tackle at some point
I just question whether he is gonna be able to start day one at guard when he hasn’t taken a snap in a game at guard since HS
I hope they are right
I probably would have taken Johnson though I wonder why Johnson fell so much. Every year a guy falls way down and generally there is a good reason we find out about later

morasp

Reaction score
Can Smith be ready to start day one?
I don’t doubt the guy has the tools to be a good guard and maybe even play tackle at some point
I just question whether he is gonna be able to start day one at guard when he hasn’t taken a snap in a game at guard since HS
I hope they are right
I probably would have taken Johnson though I wonder why Johnson fell so much. Every year a guy falls way down and generally there is a good reason we find out about later
The only thing I can figure is they knew Edge rusher is the deepest position this year and Smith was the last of the tier one OGs. If Smith does start there will most certainly be growing pains but his flaws are the ones that can be taught and his strengths can't. Mickey was saying McGovern has put on 15 pounds of muscle this far.

CWR

Reaction score
How many different ways can one poster cry about a draft pick? You have no clue how this ends up. Seriously, not a clue. I'm not over the moon with it, but I'm not gonna play make believe and act superior to Will McClay and our draft process.

I'll at least give him a handful of games before I decide he looks like a wasted pick.

I predict he has a strong camp and the team is impressed with how quickly he catches on at guard. Then come week 1 we will see if it holds water.

phildadon86

Reaction score
did i compare them in my post?

fredbeard was a widely panned pick when it happened. no one thought he would step in and be one of the best centers. everyone laughed and said he was a 3rd rounder. Smith will step in and start at LG. he has lots of physical tools and is very smart.
And is also a flag machine. Sorry if I don’t trust our OL coach to coach him up when he couldn’t do it with Williams all season. Also. Fredbeard was the best center in college football for like 3 years. They are in no way the same.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
How does D-Coordinator Dan Quinn feel like knowing he could have had potentially the best edge rusher (Jermaine Johnson) in the entire 2022 draft, but it was squandered away for a Div. II project Olineman who is an O-Tackle but will be plugged in at Left Guard (a position he has never played, had poor technique and was one of the most flagged for holding in all of college football)?

BRO WE ONLY WENT OFFENSE BECAUSE QUINN WENT DEFENSE LAST SEASON

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Well............this Oline needed an injection of talent. I'm sure Quinn knows this as well.

HanD

Reaction score
And is also a flag machine. Sorry if I don’t trust our OL coach to coach him up when he couldn’t do it with Williams all season. Also. Fredbeard was the best center in college football for like 3 years. They are in no way the same.

also at a position where he was more exposed on the edge. hopefully the limited working space with the original TSmith on his left will help him cut down his mistakes.

it's done. i didn't want him as our pick but i'm gonna hope for the best. that we're all wrong and overreacting like when TF was drafted. he makes us meaner, nastier and more physical.

phildadon86

Reaction score
also at a position where he was more exposed on the edge. hopefully the limited working space with the original TSmith on his left will help him cut down his mistakes.

it's done. i didn't want him as our pick but i'm gonna hope for the best. that we're all wrong and overreacting like when TF was drafted. he makes us meaner, nastier and more physical.
And more penalized most likely. Listen. The offense is taking a step back without Cooper. That’s just a fact. They did nothing in FA and reached in the draft. This isn’t the first time I’ve seen this. My biggest issue is. You could have gotten a stud pass rusher who is plug and play. Instead you take a project. And then try to sell it to the fan base like he was ranked higher than Johnson and Lloyd. Meanwhile they tell the pick himself they chose him over some really good players. This FO is a joke. And they are doing nothing to make the fan base happy after the worst off-season I’ve seen since the special teams draft. You know the offense is less potent. Why not grab the stud pass rusher and make the defense better?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
If we don't get either Mafe, Jackson, Bonito or Sam Williams today we failed

kevinhickey

Reaction score
You might be disappointed but try to stay objective a bit. Tulsa isn't division 2. Jj isn't the best de. Jj was shooting up draft boards but so was smith. Jj was project mid late first and started being projected first half of the round. Smith was rumored to be who the Titans wanted badly at 26.

I wanted JJ too and I think there was better ol value later but if we get someone like sam Williams today, it's gonna be fine. Smith has huge upside and needs to refine his technique a bit.
Funny thing about the Johnson selection to the Jets; they showed his highlights from the senior bowl practices where he made Smith look absolutely terrible. Johnson started him outside, then moved quickly inside to the QB, leaving Smith waving his arm as he went by him. Smith needs lots of work.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tyler Smith is so raw they likely do not use him at guard but instead train him on how to play tackle as tyron's backup.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Yeah, he is lazy. Thats how he ended up being an NFL first round pick. Try again.
Lots of players with a rep of being lazy have been drafted in round one over the years. His highlights against Alabama last year, looks like he quit to me. Even Booger and Riddick mentioned it.

your turn

HanD

Reaction score
And more penalized most likely. Listen. The offense is taking a step back without Cooper. That’s just a fact. They did nothing in FA and reached in the draft. This isn’t the first time I’ve seen this. My biggest issue is. You could have gotten a stud pass rusher who is plug and play. Instead you take a project. And then try to sell it to the fan base like he was ranked higher than Johnson and Lloyd. Meanwhile they tell the pick himself they chose him over some really good players. This FO is a joke. And they are doing nothing to make the fan base happy after the worst off-season I’ve seen since the special teams draft. You know the offense is less potent. Why not grab the stud pass rusher and make the defense better?

i'm with you. i wanted johnson. i'm just not jumping off bridges today. i'll reevaluate in 2-3 years.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fredbeard started his first season and was already one of the best centers in the game. Dont compare the 2. Its apples to bowling balls.

You missed his point. He's talking about the way Frederick was viewed by Cowboy fans when he was drafted, which, like Smith, was that he was taken too high in the draft. You're talking about Fredrick with the benefit of hindsight.

Besides, he said he "hopes" he turns out like Frederick, not that he is as good as Frederick.

Sandyf

Reaction score
How does D-Coordinator Dan Quinn feel like knowing he could have had potentially the best edge rusher (Jermaine Johnson) in the entire 2022 draft, but it was squandered away for a Div. II project Olineman who is an O-Tackle but will be plugged in at Left Guard (a position he has never played, had poor technique and was one of the most flagged for holding in all of college football)?
Believe the real question is "if Johnson was potentially the best edge rusher in the entire draft, why did not a single team take him before the Jets moved up from the 2nd round at the end of the 1st round to take him. If he is that good, then every team made a huge mistake."

Sorry, just not buying that no team passed him for nothing. If truly that good, then he would not have been on the board till at #26.