Defending Romo

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
In regards to Romo's fumbles, I would point out the following:

Currently, there are five QBs who have thrown the ball 200 or more times this season. Those five players are Tony Romo, Donovan McNabb, Kurt Warner, Drew Brees and Jay Cutler. Of those five, three have five or more fumbles and four of them have at least one multi-fumble game. When you throw the ball a lot, the probability of your QB getting hit increases. When the probability of your QB getting hit increases so does the likelihood that he will fumble.

In 33 starts for the Cowboys, Romo has fumbled 25 times, or once every 0.76 games. If we project that out to the rest of the season then we get 12 fumbles. Would that suck? Yeah, but it wouldn't mean that he didn't have a good season and it wouldn't be the downfall of the Cowboys. Tom Brady has had 10+ fumbles in a season 4 times, twice with 12+. In those seasons the Patriots win totals were 11,9,14 and 12. Brady has also fumbled at least once in the playoffs in every season but one and the Pats, if I recall correctly, have been fairly successful in the post season.

It is not as if Romo is the only QB who fumbles.

Using last year as a statistical source, here are the fumble rates (total attempts/fumbles) for the top 10 QBs based on QB rating:

1. Brady - 1 per 96 attempts
2. Roethlisberger - 1 per 45 attempts
3. Garrard - 1 per 108 attempts
4. P. Manning - 1 per 85 attempts
5. Romo - 1 per 52 attempts
6. Favre - 1 per 58 attempts
7. Garcia - 1 per 82 attempts
8. Hassleback - 1 per 39 attempts
9. McNabb - 1 per 53 attemps
10. Warner - 1 per 38 attempts

That means 3 of the NFLs top 10 QBs had a significantly worse fumble rate and 4 of the NFLs top 10 QBs had a significantly better fumble rate. Among the NFLs elite QBs, Romo is average. Other notable QBs who had a worse fumble rate than Romo include: Jay Cutler, Matt Schaub and Phillip Rivers. Those three were all just above 1 fumble every 41 attempts.

In other words, don't be so quick to throw Romo under the bus. Yes, he fumbles, but it is not at some record setting rate, it's normal. In so many other ways he is elite that it's ok if he's just average when it comes to holding onto the ball. He's 3rd in yards per attempt right now. He's completing 64% of his passes and has nearly a 3 to 1 TD/INT ratio. He's one of the best QBs in the league at converting 3rd downs. He has the second most plays over 20 yards and the 3rd most over 40 yards. His 103.5 QB rating is 3rd in the league.

He's our franchise QB and he's a damn good one, one of the best in the league.

Cowboys79

Reaction score
masomenos85;2332705 said:

Currently, there are five QBs who have thrown the ball 200 or more times this season. Those five players are Tony Romo, Donovan McNabb, Kurt Warner, Drew Brees and Jay Cutler. Of those five, three have five or more fumbles and four of them have at least one multi-fumble game. When you throw the ball a lot, the probability of your QB getting hit increases. When the probability of your QB getting hit increases so does the likelihood that he will fumble.

In 33 starts for the Cowboys, Romo has fumbled 25 times, or once every 0.76 games. If we project that out to the rest of the season then we get 12 fumbles. Would that suck? Yeah, but it wouldn't mean that he didn't have a good season and it wouldn't be the downfall of the Cowboys. Tom Brady has had 10+ fumbles in a season 4 times, twice with 12+. In those seasons the Patriots win totals were 11,9,14 and 12. Brady has also fumbled at least once in the playoffs in every season but one and the Pats, if I recall correctly, have been fairly successful in the post season.

Using last year as a statistical source, here are the fumble rates (total attempts/fumbles) for the top 10 QBs based on QB rating:

That means 3 of the NFLs top 10 QBs had a significantly worse fumble rate and 4 of the NFLs top 10 QBs had a significantly better fumble rate. Among the NFLs elite QBs, Romo is average. Other notable QBs who had a worse fumble rate than Romo include: Jay Cutler, Matt Schaub and Phillip Rivers. Those three were all just above 1 fumble every 41 attempts.

In other words, don't be so quick to throw Romo under the bus. Yes, he fumbles, but it is not at some record setting rate, it's normal. In so many other ways he is elite that it's ok if he's just average when it comes to holding onto the ball. He's 3rd in yards per attempt right now. He's completing 64% of his passes and has nearly a 3 to 1 TD/INT ratio. He's one of the best QBs in the league at converting 3rd downs. He has the second most plays over 20 yards and the 3rd most over 40 yards. His 103.5 QB rating is 3rd in the league.

Romo is not our problem we just need some different play calling and the OL needs to step up more.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with Tony Romo. I have a problem with the way Jason Garrett is managing him at times. You don't want to put him on a leash at all, but Jason Garrett has to be smarter and protect him more with his gameplans and play calling. Just look at the two losses. They have two common themes:

1. Romo going for the big play too much

2. Not nearly enough of Felix Jones, not even close to enough

texbumthelife

Reaction score
It is amazing what a sane, cool, controlled mind can come up with while others are in such a state of chaos and dissent. Numbers never lie!

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
41gy#;2332719 said:
I don't have a problem with Tony Romo. I have a problem with the way Jason Garrett is managing him at times. You don't want to put him on a leash at all, but Jason Garrett has to be smarter and protect him more with his gameplans and play calling. Just look at the two losses. They have two common themes:

Well, Felix was hurt in the second half today.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
41gy#;2332719 said:

With all due respect, the Cardinals got a sack with a three man rush. There is not much Garret or Romo can do about that. If Garrett starts letting other teams dictate, that is the day Jerry should get rid of him.

The blame for this loss falls short of absolutely no one. No one who played or coached a down today was prepared. That is why you just let the loss column take care of, what is now, yesterday and you start thinking about next week.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
With all the mistakes, penalties, and poor plays, the game was lost right here:

Three times Dallas started in Arizona territory, and three times, they came away with zero, nadda, nothing... no points. That was the game.

Dallas started drives here:

Arizona 25 (after Henry recovered the fumble)
Arizona 27 (after the onside kick)
Arizona 46

If you get two field goals there, you win.

At the 25, on first down, Garrett went for the kill or big play, and Romo held the ball too long. He has to either feel the pressure and step up or get rid of it. He did neither, and fumbled the ball away. Dallas' defense had just made a play, and Romo gave the ball right back to them. That was a killer turn of events.

At the Arizona 27, again, Garrett goes for the kill or big play on first down. Romo had Austin wide open for a TD on first down, but the throw was off due to in coming pressure. The field goal is missed.

I think Garrett should have realized that the pressure was an issue for his line and Romo today, especially on those two drives. I just think Romo and Garrett have been too greedy in these two losses. You need to be conservative sometimes. Dallas would have been better off getting the ball to the running backs in space and letting them rack up the yards and points.

How about a screen to Felix Jones when those defensive ends are causing problems. How about a screen to Owens or a reverse to Felix Jones. Dump the ball to Barber and let him run. The defense was playing well. Garrett should have limited the number of times the line had to block on long passing plays in this game, but he wanted the quick score when Dallas should have grinded some things out today.

The defense will take the heat for letting Arizona take the lead, but it was the greedy offense and poor special teams play that doomed Dallas in this game.

12 penalties for 93 yards

The Cardinals only had 276 total yards of offense, and they turned the ball over 3 times, not counting the onside kick. That should be good enough to win the game. The defense was bringing heat the entire game. Warner took a beating. However, the 3rd and 17 play on the tipped screen pass really hurt Dallas. That can't happen. Someone has to make that play out there.

I hope McBriar is alright. He did this today:

McBriar could have bailed Dallas out on the goalline, but he never had a chance.
user_online.gif

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
texbumthelife;2332728 said:
With all due respect, the Cardinals got a sack with a three man rush. There is not much Garret or Romo can do about that. If Garrett starts letting other teams dictate, that is the day Jerry should get rid of him.

The blame for this loss falls short of absolutely no one. No one who played or coached a down today was prepared. That is why you just let the loss column take care of, what is now, yesterday and you start thinking about next week.

Your making my point. Why throw the ball deep so much? I really like Jason Garrett, but he needs to manage his super star better. He could have used a little Bill Parcells in him today.

I went back and looked at the NFL.com play summary. If you don't think Dallas threw the ball deep in this game (some thought that way), look at their play log. I watched the game, too.

1st drive 3-12 Dallas 35 pass incomplete; deep middle Owens

2nd drive 2-9 Dallas 29 (sack; -10 yards) Romo wants to throw deep.

3-19 Dallas 19 pass incomplete; deep left Owens

3rd drive 1-10 Arizona 25 sacked; fumble; recovered by Arizona

Garrett goes for the kill or big play down the field when he should know the protection has been poor. Romo looks down the field. The receivers are covered. He doesn't feel the backside pressure, and he has room to step up and avoid it. He has to throw the ball away or step up. He did neither and was sacked and fumbled. If he is going to hold the ball that long, he better feel the pressure and step up and let it go. Again, Garrett needs to manage Romo better and protect him with the play calling. Three points here could have won the game.

5th drive 3-2 Dallas 42 pass incomplete; deep right Crayton

It was 3rd and 2. Again, Garrett and Romo get greedy, and they punt.

Here are the other plays in the game.

1-10 Arizona 27 pass incomplete; deep middle Austin

Austin was open for a TD, but Romo missed him. He felt the pressure from his left and was drilled. He knew the hit was coming, and it affected his throw.

3-1 Arizona 18 pass incomplete; Owens

A safer call could have netted a yard, and you could have gone for it on 4th down. Yet, the ball is pushed vertical and down the field. This really wasn't a "deep" pass, but it went well past the one yard needed, well past it. So, I'm counting it. The ball was in the air pretty good, and the risk went up when you consider you only needed one yard. Get your first down and take your shots.

1-20 Dallas 25 pass incomplete; deep right Austin

3-11 Dallas 31 pass complete; deep left Witten

Overtime:

1-10 Dallas 22 (sacked; fumble)

3-17 pass incomplete; deep left Owens

Owens was open, but Romo rushed his throw due to the constant pressure all day long. He had to throw it down the field, but the call on first down wasn't a good one, especially when you consider the pass protection and lack of successful deep pass plays. Get the ball to Marion Barber. He just went 70 yards for a TD.

There were 8 deep passes or balls thrown down the field which were not successful. Romo had the 30 yarder to Witten at the end of regulation. The long pass to Crayton was a shorter and underneath throw.

Furthermore, Romo was sacked 2 times in regulation where Dallas wanted to get the ball down the field on pass plays.

So, that is 10 looks to get the ball deep that were not successful.

After only hitting 1 big pass play down the field or deep and after getting beat in pass protection all day, what does Jason Garrett do on the first play in overtime?

Yep. Romo drops back and wants to push the ball down the field and is sacked. He fumbles and falls on it.

Some safe or conservative calls in this game could have made the difference on offense or a different offensive strategy. There is no excuse for having Romo throw the ball out of his own endzone when there are protection issues. You don't want to lose the game down there. The tuck rule saved them. Romo had no business holding the ball, while waiting for people to break free down the field, while he was at or inside his own 20. What is Garrett thinking, especially in overtime after he has watched the entire game.

This is just my opinion, but I strongly feel this way.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
1. Press Coverage. You use deep passes to beat tight press coverage.
2. When you get heat with 3-4 rushers, the shorts zones are flooded with defenders.
3. We needed a back in the backfield most of the game to help in protection, thus there weren't many opportunities for check downs.

I guess we have a difference in philosophy. I think with our offense we should be dictating. I think Romo is plenty good in the pocket and makes the right reads most of the time.You think we should allow the defense to dictate and take what they give us.

I dont want an offensive coordinator with that mentality and thus far, that's one of the best things about Garrett. He is aggressive and he wants to dictate. I dont want another Sporano offense, thanks.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I agree that Garrett needs to stay aggressive, but there comes a time when you have to realize that their guys are just whipping your guys upfront and you have to alter your game plan.

You cant take 5 and 7 step drops if the other team is drilling your QB with only a 3 or 4 man rush, you just cant.

You have to counter that with screens, 3 step drops, and your running game.

Garrett made no adjustments at all to the pressure Romo was under, very bad coaching in my opinion.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
In 33 starts for the Cowboys, Romo has fumbled 25 times, or once every 0.76 games. If we project that out to the rest of the season then we get 12 fumbles.

What happens if you project this year's fumbles out for the rest of the season?

I don't think anyone is complaining about the way he's protected the ball last year or over his entire career here; they're complaining about how he's done it the last few games.

Also, it should be okay to criticize the QB. Of course it's not all his fault and of course he's still a good player. I haven't seen anyone say that Romo should be benched. But would Parcells have shrugged off Tony's Chad Hutchinson-like ball security of late? I don't think so.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with Romo. I think the guy is a great QB and I'm thrilled we have him. He just HAS to learn to protect the ball better by learning to throw a few away from time to time. There is no shame in throwing a couple into the stands to avoid untimely sacks, like the one he took in OT yesterday.

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
Bonehead Romo ?!
Anyone else surprised at what a bonehead this guy is. Can someone show him how to tuck the ball away? How to run with the ball?

I give him a pass because he is in his 2nd year but these types of things can become a permanent part of your makeup. Either you do these things or you don't. It seems to be getting worse.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2333057 said:
What happens if you project this year's fumbles out for the rest of the season?

I don't think anyone is complaining about the way he's protected the ball last year or over his entire career here; they're complaining about how he's done it the last few games.

Also, it should be okay to criticize the QB. Of course it's not all his fault and of course he's still a good player. I haven't seen anyone say that Romo should be benched. But would Parcells have shrugged off Tony's Chad Hutchinson-like ball security of late? I don't think so.
All that noise he talked about being more calm in the pocket a la Tom Brady has been to the detriment of the thing that made him so great.... his mobility in the pocket, that uncanny knack for getting away from the hit at the last second.

I can't remember one time this season that Romo has made a DL shake his head because he missed a sack. Right now, if the DL gets close, Romo gets hit.

It was all well and good because he wasn't getting hit the first couple of games. But at some point, the other team is going to get pressure to the QB. When Romo has time, he's still been very good statistically. But I wish he would forget the calm feet in the pocket thing.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Romo is getting worse. He's not protecting the ball and he's trying to stand in there instead of moving around. He doesn't seem to be much of a leader. Sure he's got the stats and thats more than I can say for any other QB we've had in 10 years but I have yet to see him step up his play when things are going bad and lift the team on his shoulders. Sure, you can blame the OL, the recievers not catching balls, whatever you want, but the bottom line is do you want a QB that can succeed from time to time under duress or do you want one who only plays well when everything around him is perfect. Romo does not seem to be the former.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
DIAF;2333226 said:
Romo is getting worse. He's not protecting the ball and he's trying to stand in there instead of moving around. He doesn't seem to be much of a leader. Sure he's got the stats and thats more than I can say for any other QB we've had in 10 years but I have yet to see him step up his play when things are going bad and lift the team on his shoulders. Sure, you can blame the OL, the recievers not catching balls, whatever you want, but the bottom line is do you want a QB that can succeed from time to time under duress or do you want one who only plays well when everything around him is perfect. Romo does not seem to be the former.

What are you talking about.....

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
masomenos85;2332705 said:

Thank you. You would think "More passes thrown = more fumbles and INTs" would be common sense, but apparently not. I'm afraid the post has too much common sense in it for most people.