Defense a colossal personnel failure?

rangers71

Reaction score
bbailey423;2396399 said:
Garrett sold Jerry on BOTH guys!!!!![/quot

I don't think we know that for sure. Who knows how it really went down. If Jason is actually responsible for Brad then he needs to be roasted. But I am not sure anyone knows for sure.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2396167 said:
The defense isn't a "colossal" failure of "immense proportions." It's a pretty good defense overall, it just hasn't played well at times.

And I'm not sure where you're getting us committing 11 first-round draft picks to the defense. You have to go all the way back to Robert Jones in 1992 to get 11 first-round picks for the defense. We've used seven this decade, but three of them have been injured this season and have barely played, and another is a rookie. That leaves Ware (perhaps the best defensive player in the NFL), Spears (a solid starter) and Carpenter (a bust).

AdamJT13, thanks for being the voice of reason! I see a defense that gets winded by the third quarter because it's twice as long on the filed by then (because the offense can't conrol the clock). That's why the defense unravels as the game goes on.

The fact is, this team was down by 7, with the ball on offense and at midfield, with just a few minutes before the first half ended, and once again, the offense turned the ball over and put the Giants near scring position. I think this mentally demoralized the defense, partly explaining how they gave up another TD.

Also, the Giants did a good job again picking on a rookie (Jenkins), much like they succesfully picked on Jacques Reeves last year. Without that who did the giants consistently beat on? Nobody. And Jenkins is is only starting because Newman is injured. Then again, you're only as strong as your weakest link I guess.

But I just can't put this squareon the defense. Yes a defense's job is to give the offense opportunities, and any defense loses faith when the offense not only squanders those opportunities, but directly works against its defense to create opportunitiies for the opposing offense that the defense is trying to defend.

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
What I have seen the last 2 weeks, for me at least, left me feeling a little bit better.

We knew that we needed some kind of scoring on defense against the Giants in order to have a chance...we did that.

We knew that we needed more than 2 turnovers to have a chance in the game...we forced 3 turnovers.

It just came down to the fact that we were playing the Super Bowl champs at their place, with a horrible QB, a ton of injuries, and not to mention the problems that we had even before the injuries. Such as penalties.

You look at the final score and you see 35 pts with 200 rushing yards and its easy to say the defense was terrible. But when you force 3 turnovers, you don't expect your offense to give the ball away 4 times. That means the defense would have to make at least 6 turnovers to have a chance.

There is a lot to improve, but I have seen improvements over the last 2 weeks.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
sacowboysfan513;2396648 said:
What I have seen the last 2 weeks, for me at least, left me feeling a little bit better.

We knew that we needed some kind of scoring on defense against the Giants in order to have a chance...we did that.

We knew that we needed more than 2 turnovers to have a chance in the game...we forced 3 turnovers.

It just came down to the fact that we were playing the Super Bowl champs at their place, with a horrible QB, a ton of injuries, and not to mention the problems that we had even before the injuries. Such as penalties.

You look at the final score and you see 35 pts with 200 rushing yards and its easy to say the defense was terrible. But when you force 3 turnovers, you don't expect your offense to give the ball away 4 times. That means the defense would have to make at least 6 turnovers to have a chance.

There is a lot to improve, but I have seen improvements over the last 2 weeks.

The defense also had 4 sacks, I mean, what else does our offense want? I'm with you, I'm fine with the defense becaus even with injuries they are making plays and stepping up. It's our offense that is not giving the team any chance to win, and wearing our defense down by keeping too long on the field. Everyone wants to call out the defense, but whay has Garrett not been called out?

dacoming

Reaction score
The problem isn't talent, it's heart and the fact that nobody is held accountable. They are basically getting paid to do nothing. I see marginal defenses across the league who don't have nearly the talent our players have but they maximize their abilities with heart and effort. Our players think they can show up and win but other teams are playing their hearts out against us. Until we get a coach who makes them feel their job is on the line every week (Parcells, Jimmy), they will continue to be a bunch of bums.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I don't see them as a personell failure. I don't think that Ratliff and Johnson are big enough inside and I don't think Ellis is even close to a good OLB.

Right now this defense would do much better with 4 down lineman. I think we could switch back easily. We are just not physical enough at the LOS at all. We are getting some pressure now but our run D has suffered.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2394870 said:
Defense a colossal personnel failure?

Colossal? No.

We really only lack a big run stuffing DT and someone to replace James. Zach is solid. Ellis, Canty, and Spears are serviceable. Spencer looked pretty good yesterday and I've been disappointed in him being hurt all the dang time so I was pleasantly surprised with his play.

And, of course, Ware is the best in the bidness.

dfense

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2394883 said:
When the O leaves you bad field position all day, can't sustain drives, you eventually get tired. Blame Garrrett....
That's weak. Scheme, players, attitudes, whatever it is, this core defense has never put together a solid run. When they control the pass, it's because they gave up the run and vise versa. It's a bad scheme from a day gone by, like 1985. Teams can pitch and run wide with coonsistency. The Commanders and the Giants have been killing Dallas with that. The corners play way too loose at the line. I hear it every week from the commentators who just laugh at it. The 4-3 didn't do that with marginal talent.