Defense Tooo Vanillla!

K-DOGG

Reaction score
WOW, that up and coming Doomsday III defense looked rather plain (Vanilla) yesterday. The Jags made adjustments to how the BOYS were pressuring Fatboy Slim! And as it happened many times last season, our Idiot Defensive Coordinator made Zero adjustments and they kick our @#$%%! The only time in the game where the Boys applied serious blitz pressure was too late in the 4th quarter. I watched Pittsburg last week and I longed to have a more exotic (pressurized) scheme in our 3-4 like the Steelers. This Defense is waaaayy tooo conseervative and Vanilla!:banghead:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I thought for sure we would have a more exotic blitz package, but oh well.

Stautner

Reaction score
K-DOGG said:
WOW, that up and coming Doomsday III defense looked rather plain (Vanilla) yesterday. The Jags made adjustments to how the BOYS were pressuring Fatboy Slim! And as it happened many times last season, our Idiot Defensive Coordinator made Zero adjustments and they kick our @#$%%! The only time in the game where the Boys applied serious blitz pressure was too late in the 4th quarter. I watched Pittsburg last week and I longed to have a more exotic (pressurized) scheme in our 3-4 like the Steelers. This Defense is waaaayy tooo conseervative and Vanilla!:banghead:

Give it time .......1st game, and Zimmer wrote a game plan to Parcell's specs - that's the way it works.

The first quarter showed what we are capable of even without an elaborate blitz package, while the remainder of the game showed we are still in the learning and gelling process.

Hiero

Reaction score
Clove said:
I thought for sure we would have a more exotic blitz package, but oh well.
me too. im not sure whether to blame Zimmer, Parcells or the youth, but I am leaning towards zimmer and parcells. our defense is flatout generic most of the time. comparing us to the steelers is like a ford truck versus a ferarri

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Hiero said:
me too. im not sure whether to blame Zimmer, Parcells or the youth, but I am leaning towards zimmer and parcells. our defense is flatout generic most of the time. comparing us to the steelers is like a ford truck versus a ferarri
I would have Ware all over that line. I would blitz Ayodele from Ware's side, for them to choose. I would do so many things, and it's like when we blitz, Ayodele and James walks up to the LOS too fast (giving away the blitz lanes) or RW comes all the way up to the line way before the offense snaps the ball, it's pathetic.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I agree with everything said about pressure, but it's not like Leftwich was standing back there for 5 seconds surveying the field. They called a great game against us...it was like they knew when we were coming and when we weren't and from where. Leftwich dropped and got rid of the ball pretty fast most of the time. They killed us with slants, fades, and inbetween routes...I won't let our corners off so easily...it wasn't like they "couldn't cover all day"...they were getting beaten quickly, and when the WR wasn't beating them, and we had good coverage, Leftwich beat them by putting the ball in the perfect spot for big receivers.

There was a lot more to this game than just a pass rush or a poor performance by our QB. I think we were outcoached, and our defense lost intensity with the lead and never played well again.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
We didnt even play a 3-4. We were in a nickel type of d the entire night. why was that. we had 4 down lineman with Ayodele and Jamed behind them

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I agree with everything said about pressure, but it's not like Leftwich was standing back there for 5 seconds surveying the field. They called a great game against us...it was like they knew when we were coming and when we weren't and from where. Leftwich dropped and got rid of the ball pretty fast most of the time. They killed us with slants, fades, and inbetween routes...I won't let our corners off so easily...it wasn't like they "couldn't cover all day"...they were getting beaten quickly, and when the WR wasn't beating them, and we had good coverage, Leftwich beat them by putting the ball in the perfect spot for big receivers.

There was a lot more to this game than just a pass rush or a poor performance by our QB. I think we were outcoached, and our defense lost intensity with the lead and never played well again.
Great point! This brings me to Anthony Henry... I'm concerned that teams are going to start throwing the fade route on Henry since he had problems with this route and the slant.

But I still think we could do more in our blitz package to get in the QBs face within a split second.

Stautner

Reaction score
Hiero said:

The Steelers have had one of the top defenses in the NFL for years, have been playing the 3-4 for years and have a number of pro-bowl and pro-bowl quality players.

We're young guys trying to see how we fit in the NFL and learning a defense that we have little experience with.

Not exactly a fair comparison.

This is like wondering why our offense isn't playing like the Colts.

daniukid

Reaction score
I absolutely agree...I think our D's talent isn't being used creatively and aggressively enough...it was boring and we couldn't apply any pressure. I want to see more aggression and attacking/