Defensive All 22

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This defense hasn't really been working together for years. Under Marinelli the DL guys played 1 way, the linebackers another. They still look like they aren't working the same scheme. It's upto these coaches to get them on the same page, whatever it takes, but the lack of hustle is 100% on the players.

Praxit

Reaction score
...I sure hope the coaches watched the same thing this guy posted. Bring in Griffith, bench Jaylon or move him to outside. He is no MLB for NFL.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Warning. Depressing to watch.

I was wrong regarding my dude J-Train. Wow. Dude is either out or his league or the DC doesn't have a clue how to scheme. I'd imagine it's a combination of both ..

Ok after watching this 1 thing im noticing. the LB's are too close to the LINE, they are getting washed out in the trash. not to mention they are taking terrible angles and the DB's are not reading the gaps.

i think we need to push LB's back off line & stop looking like we are going to blitz every play... doing that once in a while is ok but almost everyone one of those plays we had a blitz look on (DB / LB) and that LB or DB gets washed out in the trash.

Mr_437

Reaction score
So basically if they can set the edge and get some LBs back healthy they'll be better.

Mane, Poe n Hill are fighting... there's effort. Starting to like Hill.

I'm encouraged by the video, I saw some good stuff.

Might as well give Armstrong's snaps to Anae this week...but that's just me.

Edit: Oh and Donovan Wilson is a starter on this team... it's a shame it took them so long.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Jaylon is out of position on every play. He's not getting guys off him, he's getting pushed around. It's disappointing that this is the best we have out there. It's like he's asking every blocker if they want a pair of sunglasses...

It’s tough to stop the run in Nickel defense.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
A lot of this is hangover from Marinelli. They are defending the run on the way to the QB. That works a whole lot better with a 3rd lb on the field. Pretty sure that was what McCarthy was referring to about relying on the previous scheme when things are going poorly.
That's what I was wondering about the DEs - are they just stuck in playing the Marinelli way?

Jaylon, he's just sucking. And he's the guy who is supposed to be making plays for the run defense, while the dline keeps the oline off him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So basically if they can set the edge and get some LBs back healthy they'll be better.

Mane, Poe n Hill are fighting... there's effort. Starting to like Hill.

I'm encouraged by the video, I saw some good stuff.

Might as well give Armstrong's snaps to Anae this week...but that's just me.

Edit: Oh and Donovan Wilson is a starter on this team... it's a shame it took them so long.

We have some pieces, and some guys coming back. Will they have the will to sit the dead weight, and use the guys who can play?

Or better CBs are coming back.

Sit Jaylon ASAP for Lee or LVE. LVE, Lee, and Thomas could be a *good* rotation.

Get rid of Crawford at DT. Play Gallimore instead. Maybe he improves. Crawford is done.

Maybe Gregory challenges Lawrence as the second best pass rush DE after Smith. But Smith should not be playing against the run.

Some addition by addition, some addition by subtraction. We'll see if anything changes this week. But cutting Carr is a bad sign. Between Carr, Heath, and Dix, we opted to drop 3 cheap full season starters and go with Thompson and Wilson. That ain't right.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Man for the life of me I can't believe you guys hate Jaylon this much lol. I've heard nicer things said about murderers lol.
Ha-haaaaa, Smith isn't a vey good football player and if you think he is then you're dumber than your picture looks.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
That's what I notice too. They aren't anticipating anything. They are waiting for it to happen and then reacting. Yikes.

A true indication of a BBDB-style defense - "just keep everything in front of you, pray the offense makes a mistake, or just hold them to a FG!" Like this is a recipe for success when the game is close or when you're behind. :confused: Hec, we could all call this style of defense.

Having said that, Nolan does like to call some complex coverage schemes, but with this lackluster talent, maybe he's hamstrung.

I don't know...we all know this just looks bad, REALLY bad.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
He needs to not be the play caller. He wasn’t terrible against the Rams but since then he has just been horrendous

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ha-haaaaa, Smith isn't a vey good football player and if you think he is then you're dumber than your picture looks.
Well a few things.

No, I don’t think he’s a good football player right now.
Not sure how my picture looks dumb but it’s a picture of the late great Chadwick Bozeman who just passed away from cancer at 43 years old. But continue on.......

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
A true indication of a BBDB-style defense - "just keep everything in front of you, pray the offense makes a mistake, or just hold them to a FG!" Like this is a recipe for success when the game is close or when you're behind. :confused: Hec, we could all call this style of defense.

Having said that, Nolan does like to call some complex coverage schemes, but with this lackluster talent, maybe he's hamstrung.

I don't know...we all know this just looks bad, REALLY bad.
It just doesn’t seem like anyone plays well in his defense. I’ve never heard of Mike Nolan regard as a great football mind.

JBond

Reaction score
How unlucky can JJ be?????? First he turns into Saint Jerry when he drafts a BROKEN DOWN J. Smith in the 2nd rd and the WHOLE NFL world went nuts saying Jerry was the best thing since slice bread because he drafted a kid who will more than likely not play in the NFL because of a horrible leg injury that was sustained in a meaningless college game. Yes, jerry rode in on a white horse and injected life into this kids football career. Jerry brought in the best medical team money could buy and saved J. Smith's career! J. Smith's career looked promising from the start because Jerry made sure he surrounded J. Smith with other Linebackers who were smarter than he was and who were better than he was until it was time to take off the training wheels and let J. Smith prosper on his own. Coaches and players from a far were melting over J. Smith's ability to run like the wind on a football field and were all saying, " He's going to be a star in this league". Yes, Saint Jerry was so proud of his J. Smith that he opened up the skies and rewarded him with a $64 million dollar contract. The Gods all gave their blessings to Saint Jerry for rewarding J. Smith with such a contract for working so hard to get back on the football field and what has J. Smith given back to Saint Jerry for such a rich contract....... that's rights.............NOT A DAM THING! J. Smith is a fraud, he's a bum, his a fake, hell I could go on and on, but I'm afraid Cowboys Forum will start charging me for the extract lines. J. Smith needs to be BENCHED, he needs to be forced to watch HIS game films over and over and over again, until he says UNCLE and gives Saint Jerry back the money he's been stealing from him attempting to impersonate a Pro Bowl Football Player.
I miss Hitchens.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Watch those clips, Trysten Hill gets wasted vs the run. If he was a Marinelli 3 tech, we might be able to live with it like with Collins, but in a line that wants to play him straight-up on guards and tackles in 3-4 looks? NOPE.

Poe's a blocking dummy, Crawford's a blocking dummy, and Hill is just a ragdoll. There's blame to pass to everyone when you give up 300 yards rushing, but I don't think the DTs get enough attention.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
How unlucky can JJ be?????? First he turns into Saint Jerry when he drafts a BROKEN DOWN J. Smith in the 2nd rd and the WHOLE NFL world went nuts saying Jerry was the best thing since slice bread because he drafted a kid who will more than likely not play in the NFL because of a horrible leg injury that was sustained in a meaningless college game. Yes, jerry rode in on a white horse and injected life into this kids football career. Jerry brought in the best medical team money could buy and saved J. Smith's career! J. Smith's career looked promising from the start because Jerry made sure he surrounded J. Smith with other Linebackers who were smarter than he was and who were better than he was until it was time to take off the training wheels and let J. Smith prosper on his own. Coaches and players from a far were melting over J. Smith's ability to run like the wind on a football field and were all saying, " He's going to be a star in this league". Yes, Saint Jerry was so proud of his J. Smith that he opened up the skies and rewarded him with a $64 million dollar contract. The Gods all gave their blessings to Saint Jerry for rewarding J. Smith with such a contract for working so hard to get back on the football field and what has J. Smith given back to Saint Jerry for such a rich contract....... that's rights.............NOT A DAM THING! J. Smith is a fraud, he's a bum, his a fake, hell I could go on and on, but I'm afraid Cowboys Forum will start charging me for the extract lines. J. Smith needs to be BENCHED, he needs to be forced to watch HIS game films over and over and over again, until he says UNCLE and gives Saint Jerry back the money he's been stealing from him attempting to impersonate a Pro Bowl Football Player.
Jerry thinks like a fan and not like a GM.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Watch those clips, Trysten Hill gets wasted vs the run. If he was a Marinelli 3 tech, we might be able to live with it like with Collins, but in a line that wants to play him straight-up on guards and tackles in 3-4 looks? NOPE.

Poe's a blocking dummy, Crawford's a blocking dummy, and Hill is just a ragdoll. There's blame to pass to everyone when you give up 300 yards rushing, but I don't think the DTs get enough attention.

They give way too much ground. That Voch guy did a defense All 22 on YouTube. First play he breaks down he says Hill did a good job because he occupied a blocker. It was one of the plays Hill got chop blocked (payback for gator roll? Happened more than once and didn't get called).

Anyway, Hill gets pushed about 5 yards downfield before getting chop blocked. That's not, "a good job." That's a recipe for 300 yards rushing.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I would move back to the 4-3 (full time) until next year when we get 3-4 OLBs on this roster because right now, we have NONE. You're also using a 4-3 DL to play as a 3-4 lineman yet his experience is at 4-3 DE, which is totally different. Guys are just playing out of position right now. Then you take a smallish Safety in Woods, put him down in the box? I don't know what's going on in Dallas right now on the defensive side of the ball.

Also, you have your safeties watching the QB in man-to-man defense which is stupid, IMO. If you take your eyes off of an Odell Beckham for one second while playing man to man, it's lights out.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Warning. Depressing to watch.

I was wrong regarding my dude J-Train. Wow. Dude is either out or his league or the DC doesn't have a clue how to scheme. I'd imagine it's a combination of both ..

That certainly is no Clear Eye View. :confused:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I would move back to the 4-3 (full time) until next year when we get 3-4 OLBs on this roster because right now, we have NONE. You're also using a 4-3 DL to play as a 3-4 lineman yet his experience is at 4-3 DE, which is totally different. Guys are just playing out of position right now. Then you take a smallish Safety in Woods, put him down in the box? I don't know what's going on in Dallas right now on the defensive side of the ball.

Also, you have your safeties watching the QB in man-to-man defense which is stupid, IMO. If you take your eyes off of an Odell Beckham for one second while playing man to man, it's lights out.
THIS! ^^^^

Mike Nolan needs to go.