Defensive Backs in the 09 Draft...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
OK, we've taken a look at the offensive linemen in this draft, the defensive linemen and the linebackers, time now to round out our look at the defensive side of the ball, by examining the DBs available... once again, this is a position of need for the Boys (especially safety), and they're fortunate that there is a deep and talented group of safeties in this draft class...

SECOND ROUND:

Louis Delmas, FS/CB/KR, Western Michigan... 5-11, 200 pounds, 4.5 second 40... might be off the board before pick 51...

Patrick Chung, SS/KR, Oregon... 5-11, 210 pounds, 4.5 second 40... again, is no more than 50-50 to still be on the board when the Boys' first pick comes up... Chung seems to be a board favorite among Cowboys fans...

Sean Smith, FS/CB, Utah... 6-4, 216 pounds, 4.5 second 40... if he's still on the board at pick 51, it would tough for me to pass on him...

William Moore, SS, Missouri... 6-1, 220 pounds, 4.5 second 40... if he'd come out last year, he would have been a likely first rounder, but injuries his senior season have knocked him down most draft boards... IMO, he'd be a steal here...

The Cowboys are reported to like all 4 of these safety prospects, suggesting they're giving serious thought to drafting a DB early...

THIRD ROUND:

Darcel McBath, FS, Texas Tech... 6-0, 200 pounds, 4.55 second 40... McBath seems to be rising on most draft boards, but I wonder if he has the speed needed to succeed at the next level...

Sherrod Martin, FS/CB, Troy... 6-1, 200 pounds, 4.45 second 40... a player the Boys like, but is he a safety or a corner??

Rashad Johnson, FS/CB/KR, Alabama... 5-11, 205 pounds, 4.5 second 40... another player the Boys have shown some interest in...

Keenan Lewis, CB/FS, Oregon State... 6-1, 195 pounds, 4.5 second 40... another "tweener" like Martin, and another player the Boys seem to like...

Chip Vaughn, SS, Wake Forest... 6-2, 220 pounds, 4.45 second 40... perhaps the best pure strong safety in this draft...

Michael Hamlin, SS/FS, Clemson... 6-2, 216 pounds, 4.55 second 40... yet another player the Boys are bringing in for a private workout...

If the Boys did not go DB in the second round, Martin or Lewis would be nice consolation prizes in the third...

FOURTH ROUND:

David Bruton, SS/FS, Notre Dame... 6-2, 220 pounds, 4.4 second 40... great computer numbers, but from the scouting reports I've read he's a workout warrior, with somewhat stiff hips...

Jonathan Casillas, SS/OLB, Wisconsin... 6-1, 230 pounds, 4.5 second 40... one of my absolute favorite pet cats, I think Casillas has a similar skillset to Darren Woodson when Woody came out of college, so I think that Jonathan is a good candidate to move to SS in the NFL...

FIFTH ROUND:

Chris Clemons, FS, Clemson... 6-0, 206 pounds, 4.35 second 40... his speed will make him worth a look late in this draft...

SIXTH ROUND/SEVENTH ROUND:

Brice McCain, CB/KR, Utah... 5-9, 186 pounds, 4.35 second 40... for DBs, speed kills, and Brice has speed in spades...

Domonique Johnson, CB, Jackson State... 6-2, 200 pounds, 4.45 second 40... nice size/speed ratio...

Colt Anderson, FS/KR, Montana... 5-10, 195 pounds, 4.55 second 40...

Quin Glover, CB/FS, New Mexico... 5-11, 206 pounds, 4.5 second 40...

Bradley Fletcher, CB/FS, Iowa... 6-1, 195 pounds, 4.45 second 40...

Wopamo Osaisai, CB/KR, Stanford... 5-10, 195 pounds, 4.45 second 40...

In all candor, I'm not particularly impressed with the late round DBs out there... my favorite would be Brice McCain...

PRIORITY UNDRAFTED ROOKIE FREE AGENTS:

Ray Garvin, CB/KR, Florida State... 5-8, 175 pounds, 4.25 second 40... a smurf with blazing speed, might be worth a look just for his potential as a kick returner...

Ryan Palmer, CB, Texas... 5-8, 190 pounds, 4.5 second 40... as a Horns fan, I know that Palmer is faster than that 4.5 40... not spectacular, but is a reasonably solid cover guy, who could probably cover slot receivers in the NFL...

William Middleton, CB, Furman... 5-10, 195 pounds, 4.45 second 40...

Jamar Love, CB/FS, Arkansas... 6-0. 195 pounds, 4.35 second 40... pure speed...

Allen Nelson, SS, McNeese State... 6-1, 210 pounds, 4.55 second 40...

DJ Clark, CB/FS, Idaho State... 6-1, 200 pounds, 4.5 second 40...

DeAndre Wright, CB, New Mexico... 5-11, 200 pounds, 4.5 second 40... injuries his senior season dropped his draft grade, to the point where I think he'll be a steal for some team...

DeVon Hall, SS, Utah... 6-3, 216 pounds, 4.5 second 40...

Jerome Boyd, SS, Oregon... 6-2, 216 pounds, 4.5 second 40...

While there is a good amount of DB talent at the top of this draft, the talent starts to thin drastically by the 4th round, so the Boys should claim one early if they're set on upgrading their DBs... if they go DB late in the draft, or after the draft, they should be looking for raw speed (McCain, Clemons, Garvin or Love)...