Defensive Coordinator hire will make or break this HC

EJK24

Reaction score
Would Jerry allow MM to bring in Dom Capers who ran his defense in GB's Super Bowl win? I know he is like almost 70 and is a defensive advisor for Tenn. just throwing stuff out there to see what sticks? Thoughts? (obviously this might be short term ......)

One issue there could be Capers runs a 3-4 defense for as long as I can remember. Not saying he cant help with whatever we run but just something to keep in mind if we consider him.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Nonsense. What makes or breaks McCarthy is who is hiring these coaches.

If Kellen Moore is retained in any capacity, you can hang it up now: McCarthy is doomed to fail just as Wade Phillips was.

Our moron owner has once again convinced himself that he's got the next big coach on staff, and isn't letting him go, regardless of what McCarthy wanted. And McCarthy, unemployed, would probably agree to any stipulation to land a mulit-million $$$ job.

:laugh: at the 75% in the poll above who liked the hire. McCarthy couldn't be a more obvious status quo hire.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
LOL....our defense was top 10 we lost 8 games mostly cause we couldn't score enough POINTS!!!
Think the offense is responsible for scoring points?????
I guess in your world one can either have a terrific offense or a terrific defense. Not both?

garyv

Reaction score
Some people might laugh but I'm wondering about Wade Phillips as DC ?

75boyz

Reaction score
Agree and it is the part I'm most excited about. We need someone who can get our guys to attack vs sitting back and letting teams come to us.

Totally agree. It's this basic concept of defensive philosophy that I have always supported as well.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Off topic for a sec....I got a crush on Jane Slater...man ..I think it's something about her that's hotly sexy. And if given the chance???:muttley: ...better keep it at that:muttley: Back to the Cowboys. Offense is not the Cowboys problem. It was consistency on offense. If Garrett were smarter -obviously he wasn't:facepalm: He should of worried more about his defense. If Dallas had a better defense. Garrett would still be clapping on the sidelines. Thankfully he didn't do this.....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marvin not interested in being second fiddle. He wanted the top job or nothing to do with Jerry.
If that's his position, he will likely stay unemployed. He doesn't have enough of a track record to be that picky.

rxdoc

Reaction score
One issue there could be Capers runs a 3-4 defense for as long as I can remember. Not saying he cant help with whatever we run but just something to keep in mind if we consider him.

thanks! I totally forgot about that....

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
The 2014 defense was trash. It was ok because the offense dominated TOP so heavily. They got away from that this season. O can help the D.

And McCarthy would know that very well, per the 2014 Divisional playoff round..

Carson

Reaction score
So does Mike Nolan make or break us?

I am much happier with McCarthy and Nolan than I was with Garrett and Rod/Richard

Dick Nolans son,I believe...who was a long time def asst here for Coach Landry...and was on Jimmy's staff also I think.

You are correct. He wore a suit in SF to honor Landry

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Marinelli has been Terrible.

Absolutely terrible, which I said dating back to like 2017. He brings nothing new, no new schemes, no new in-game adjustments, just vanilla, BBDB for most of the game.

He MUST go, and anyone who supports this philosophy. They need a more aggressive scheme, and definitely more deception (at least FAKE some blitzes, and at least disguise zone and man coverages some). Come on, man! Sheesh!

conner01

Reaction score
TOP doesn't matter, but an offense that actually scores points early in games will make a big difference.

Hopefully the new DC is a lot more attack-oriented, rather than constantly worried about giving up big plays.
Hopefully a much more aggressive scheme
Fixing this team is gonna be as much about attitude as anything
This team under performed and fixing that will help a lot. if he can fix this country club mentality, players who celebrate a tackle after a 10 yd run, can instill some discipline and pride

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
If that's his position, he will likely stay unemployed. He doesn't have enough of a track record to be that picky.

I heard it came down to keeping Moore or hiring Hue Jackson for OC. Marvin wanted Hue to be part if package.:facepalm: