Defensive gameplan

superpunk

Reaction score
I just didn't get it.

I think back to the Indy game, and we pulled out all the stops. Confusion was the name of the game. We showed one thing, did another. Corner blitzes, Newman getting in there, Ware backing off and then coming. We're facing an equal offense to what the Colts are, and all that goes out the window. Why? What possible good could come of that?

You can't sack Brees. He's too fast with getting the ball out there. This was the perfect storm. The flats are a huge problem area in our defense, and many of us noted this in the preseason. It was a problem then, and it remains now. It's obvious our enormous LBs who are not as athletic as Ware cannot cover the flats or run sideline to sideline. James looked dreadful covering the deep middle. Every time we blitzed (and Brees always knew it was coming) he tossed the ball right into the vacated area immediately, and a receiver was available.

That makes me think the whole defense is fundamentally flawed - and the thing that kills me is - they did nothing to adjust. That's what got me the most. We could have lost by twenty, I don't care. Just show some fight and change things up to stop the bleeding. Play and coach for pride and the name on the back of your jersey. Instead, the players and coaches hit the mat and decided it was too much trouble to get back up.

Where was that defense from the Colts game? We didn't need to blitz, we needed to confuse.

Cowboys vs. Saints team motto. If it's not working, keep doing it.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I just wrote a similar message in another thread. the defense IS fundamentally flawed. Throw the stats out of the window, the real ranking IMO comes when you face a very good offense, what will the defense do to stop it? We showed some different things vs Indy that gave us a chance. Last night, we sat back and got destroyed. Something has to change. either we become a more consistently complex defense or we add 3-4 talented athletes to the defense, particularly pass rushers and Ss who can run and cover.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Dallas needs to throw the cover 2 out of its defensive playbook. Its ridicilous trying to play cover 2 when both of your safeties are HORRIBLE in coverage. Roy Williams and K. Davis got abused to the tune of 3 TDs because of the zone defenses that required that to cover a WR deep.

The one that really cracked me up was Bush's TD that was just funny. How many times did they put Bush back there and throw a little dump off to him in the flat before the long TD? At least 4 or 5, where are the adjustments?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
people have overrated the game vs Indy, its not like they were scoring 50 on everybody else and then we somehow stoned them to keep them at 14...they've been playing stinkers and just getting by most weeks all year...they are 10-3 now but only +47 in scoring margin...they've now had 5 games this year where they scored no more than 17 pts

David

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
Disagree, Roy Williams has completely turned it around, last year his "went for nachos" move was showcased, but this year it was strictly"excuse me is this seat taken" as the wr blew by him, I won't cover for this guy anymore, he's a biscuit short of being a ss, and now we all know why the fs are so bad, Roy has been mentoring them all season on these dance moves. I mean honestly we would have been better prepared if they all went to California for To's birthday, that was aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawful last night...where's the Cowboy pride.....