Defensive Line Coach Todd Grantham Hired

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
It was rumored he was having trouble getting along with the players in Cleveland. (I read it somewhere last night after I heard about his hiring)

newlander

Reaction score
he's a good coach guys. MSU came very close to hiring him last year. I agree with theogt: he was scapegoated in Cleveland last season. Did any of you see them play last season? I did and they had NOTHING on defense. Easily the worst talent on that side of the ball in that division IMO. As someone else said, I am cautiously optimistic: he IS a fire and brimstone guy, because that was Saban's style at MSU where Grantham coached on defense, but this might VERY well be a sign of things to come with the new coaches that are brought in guys: especially on the defensive side of the ball. Hatcher, Canty, Spears, Tank,Ellis, Ware, are all talented but not very fiery. That could be about to change..............;)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It is who Wade wanted that to me is the most important. Evidently Wade feels Grantham in knowledgeable regarding the defensive front and system we are running.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I guess Ray Sherman will be a terrible position coach, too. After all, he was considered a poor offensive coordinator.

Right?

Woods

Reaction score
Also, I think Stewart and our new DL coach coached for a couple of years together, so Stewart knows him.

Duane

Reaction score
Woods;1926252 said:
Also, I think Stewart and our new DL coach coached for a couple of years together, so Stewart knows him.

They coached in Houston for a while.

yesfan

Reaction score
Todd Grantham was hired as the defensive line coach for the Dallas Cowboys, less than two weeks after the Browns unexpectedly fired him as defensive coordinator.

Grantham is familiar with the 3-4 alignment favored by Cowboys coach Wade Phillips, having coached it under Romeo Crennel and former Houston Texans coach Dom Capers.

Under Grantham in 2007, the Browns defense was 30th in total yards allowed, 27th in rushing defense, 26th in sacks, 24th in passing defense, 21st in scoring defense and 14th in interceptions. Still, his dismissal was considered a surprise because the defense improved late in the season.

CNY Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
yesfan;1927464 said:
Under Grantham in 2007, the Browns defense was 30th in total yards allowed, 27th in rushing defense, 26th in sacks, 24th in passing defense, 21st in scoring defense and 14th in interceptions.

Doesn't make me too optimistic.:confused:

khiladi

Reaction score
CNY Cowboy;1927490 said:
Doesn't make me too optimistic.:confused:

Actually, his only bas stint was with the Browns, and that was because of deterioration in talent. The Browns had nobody. Look at his track-record prior to coming to the Browns, especially from the perspective of the defensive line..

CNY Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;1927557 said:
Actually, his only bas stint was with the Browns, and that was because of deterioration in talent. The Browns had nobody. Look at his track-record prior to coming to the Browns, especially from the perspective of the defensive line..

Sorry to say I didn't research him at all. Hope your right and he makes a good fit.

khiladi

Reaction score
CNY Cowboy;1927565 said:
Sorry to say I didn't research him at all. Hope your right and he makes a good fit.

He has pretty much improved line play no matter where he has gone. He seems to be pretty aggressive from the line position, always increasing numbers like quarterback pressures and sacks. Tackles also increase in his tenure from the defensive line position.

ringmaster

Reaction score
khiladi;1927557 said:
Good observation, some people aren't satisfied with anyone.

I would rather have Grantham, coaching the DL, than Ed Orgeron, an unknown from the college ranks whose name kept popping up after Rodgers, left for Miami, before Dallas, settled on Grantham.

Imagine if it was Orgeron, some fans would've committed suicide.

khiladi

Reaction score
ringmaster;1927575 said:
Good observation, some people aren't satisfied with anyone.

I would rather have Grantham, coaching the DL, than Ed Orgeron, an unknown from the college ranks whose name kept popping up after Rodgers, left for Miami, before Dallas, settled on Grantham.

Imagine if it was Orgeron, some fans would've committed suicide.

I don't know how much our previous coach affected what Wade wanted to do. All I know is that from a defensive line position, Parcells and his coaches had their own style of play. Maintain the point of attack intsead of hitting the open gap. Wade pretty much had to teach Rodgers his own style of 3-4, and we do know that Wade employs some exotic blitz packages. I don't know how much a lack of continuity was present, but there must have been some.

Grantham seems to coach a pretty aggressive front-line. Look at his stint in Houston and the Colts.

ringmaster

Reaction score
khiladi;1927579 said:
I don't know how much our previous coach affected what Wade wanted to do. All I know is that from a defensive line position, Parcells and his coaches had their own style of play. Maintain the point of attack intsead of hitting the open gap. Wade pretty much had to teach Rodgers his own style of 3-4, and we do know that Wade employs some exotic blitz packages. I don't know how much a lack of continuity was present, but there must have been some.

Grantham seems to coach a pretty aggressive front-line. Look at his stint in Houston and the Colts.
I did and his resume is quite impressive as a DL coach.