Defensive Line Coach Todd Grantham Hired

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Some of the usual suspects will be here soon to complain about this hire.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Vintage;1925409 said:
I know nothing about him either.

But the fact that he was a DC for the past three years gives me cautious optimism.

When you read that he was fired by the Cleveland Browns the glass looks half empty but when you see the success at the Colts and some other stops the glass looks half full. I don't know which is the correct perception. "Cautious optimism" is probably the accurate terminology.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
If anyone remembers Jim Mora (for anything other than the "Playoffs?!?" bit), I can't imagine a former Marine like him hiring a young guy that wasn't tough, enthusiastic, and kind of a hard*** in his coaching. Which seems to be what people have been wanting.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Good hire. May or may not be good DC, but that's not what he's here for.

I like his success as a DL coach. Should be great for development of Ratliff, Canty, Hatcher, etc

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Today's Akron Beacon Journal sheds some light on why the Cleveland Browns and defensive coordinator Todd Grantham parted ways (other than, you know, the Browns' atrocious defense the past few years). Oddly, the team gave Grantham a two-year extension last off-season only to fire him seven months later.

Apparently, problems surfaced during Cleveland's October 21 bye week when there was talk that Romeo Crennel could take over the defensive play-calling duties. A welcome change for Browns fans, no doubt, but it wouldn't have done much for Grantham's confidence. It gets weirder, though. Two days ago, before Grantham was canned, the Orange and Brown Report had this:

And just what was the genesis of the problems between Crennel and Grantham? According to several players, none of whom would speak on the record, Grantham "schemed behind RAC's back" in an effort to get him fired before the bye so that he could take over as the interim head coach and, possibly, secure the position for years to come.

Additionally, there were "scheme and personnel issues" between not only Grantham and Crennel, but between Grantham and players on the defensive side of the ball. In particular, veterans have been exasperated over Grantham's unwillingness to even listen to input on various defensive issues.

Wow. It's important to keep in mind that OBR cites unnamed sources, but given how this thing has played out, the accounts certainly seem feasible. Ironically, instead of getting the ax, Crennel led the Browns to a 10-6 record and got a new deal out of it. If you're Grantham, I think that qualifies as a plan "blowing up in your face." Good luck finding a job, buddy.

As far as Grantham's replacement, it looks like defensive backs coach Mel Tucker will be promoted to defensive coordinator. Tucker grew up in Cleveland, and was the defensive coordinator at Ohio State before joining the Browns in 2005.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/01/12/why-todd-grantham-got-canned-in-cleveland/

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Funny that Grantham got canned -- Brown D sucked sure while the O took off -- of course had the team picked defensive players with their high picks instead of Winslow, Edwards, and Thomas he'd probably be getting HC interviews.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Grantham_cle_330.jpg

Mick Shots

Evidently recently-hired defensive line coach Todd Grantham had what some called “communication issues” with Cleveland head coach Romeo Crennel, reportedly why the Browns’ defensive coordinator was fired after being signed to a three-year deal and the club improving to 10-6. Now he’ll just be the defensive line coach for Wade Phillips with the Cowboys. But evidently former Michigan State coach Nick Saban thought highly enough of Grantham to put in a good word for his former defensive line coach at MSU when his name came up in 2006 for the Spartans’ head coaching job. Grantham, though, never was given an offer, MSU hiring Mark Dantonio, one of Saban’s former MSU secondary coaches.

-------------------
Terry Pluto says Cleveland Browns raise questions with firing of Todd Grantham

Saturday, January 12, 2008
Terry PlutoPlain Dealer Columnist

This time, it was coach Romeo Crennel's call.

That's the real story behind the firing of Browns defensive coordinator Todd Grantham on Friday.

Nobody is talking, which often is a bad idea in a situation such as this, where about 36 hours after General Manager Phil Savage said at his end-of-the-season press conference that no major changes would be made on the coaching staff.

Advertisement

It's also known that Savage has been impressed by Grantham, who not only survived last winter's coaching purge but was rewarded with a two-year contract extension.

As you consider this move, remember last season when Crennel was slow to fire Maurice Carthon as offensive coordinator. At the end of the 2006 season, interim offensive coordinator Jeff Davidson was fired. Savage had to push Crennel to make those moves.

While Crennel signed off on the signing of Rob Chudzinski as offensive coordinator, Savage strongly endorsed the former Chargers tight end coach. Then Chudzinski and Crennel hired most of the other offensive coaches. The point is Crennel went along with Savage's idea to restructure the offensive coaching staff.

This time, it appears Savage followed Crennel's lead in firing Grantham.

Yes, the defense was worse than a year ago. In Grantham's three seasons, the Browns defense dropped in rankings from 16th to 27th to 30th. But Savage admitted several times that he put more draft picks and free-agent cash into the offense, especially the line.

Three of Savage's four first-round picks have been on offense. Second-rounders have gone to defense: linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, cornerback Eric Wright and safety Brodney Pool. The plan for the Browns was to fix the defense this off-season. Scouts were dispatched to find defensive linemen and linebackers, especially inside linebackers.

And the defense improved over the course of the season, giving up 29.4 points in the first 10 games, 14.6 after.

Now, the mystery begins.

A defensive coordinator in New England, Crennel has been frustrated by his defense with the Browns. It grated at him how they were so vulnerable to the run. In the second half of the season, the Browns showed several new looks besides their standard 3-4 defense. It seemed to help.

Was that the work of Grantham alone, or did Crennel step in? Was he met with resistance from Grantham? I don't know.

Advertisement

A year ago, Grantham was a candidate for the Michigan State head-coaching position. He was considered a possible replacement for Crennel if things went poorly for the Browns.

Was that a factor? Who knows?

There are rumors of clashes between some veterans and Grantham. Of course, that happens when a defense is struggling.

The Browns were the surprise of the NFL at 10-6, and Crennel (with two years left on his contract) is in line for an extension. Given how the defense has performed, I don't have major problems with Crennel wanting to promote defensive backs coach Mel Tucker or hire his own guy. It's a shame everyone is so shut down about the move because it leads to rumor after rumor after rumor, none of which makes the team or the parties look very good.

I just hope he hires the right guy, because if the Browns are to become a playoff team, the defense has to improve and the coaching staff must work together to make it happen.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1200130494212380.xml&coll=2

Mash

Reaction score
Interesting....

Was expecting someone that worked with Phillips......lets see where this goes...from the reports...I wouldnt want him for the DC job anytime soon. Hopefully he will continue to improve our young players like Rodgers did.

ddh33

Reaction score
I had read that he was a hard case and the players didn't like him. I think the Browns ended up promoting their DBs coach even though they weren't a great defensive team against the pass. The story I read was that the DBs coach was a much kindler, gentler teacher and the players responded to that.

Anyway, I think he's probably a pretty good hire. He's got some experience as a coordinator, and for all of the fans who were so worried about having a bunch of easy going guys coaching the team, this guy should be different.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Wow. If Grantham had "communication issues" (ie ambitious power play) with a fiery guy like Crennel, then how is he going to behave with the kindler, gentler Phillips?

On one hand, I like that he is a disciple of Dom Capers but on the other hand, he has been the head of some pretty bad Ds. I am hoping it is due to piss poor personnel.

"Cautiously optimistic" is a very good way to put it.

WoodysGirl;1925553 said:
Grantham_cle_330.jpg

Terry Pluto says Cleveland Browns raise questions with firing of Todd Grantham

Saturday, January 12, 2008
Terry PlutoPlain Dealer Columnist

This time, it was coach Romeo Crennel's call.

That's the real story behind the firing of Browns defensive coordinator Todd Grantham on Friday.

Nobody is talking, which often is a bad idea in a situation such as this, where about 36 hours after General Manager Phil Savage said at his end-of-the-season press conference that no major changes would be made on the coaching staff.

Advertisement

It's also known that Savage has been impressed by Grantham, who not only survived last winter's coaching purge but was rewarded with a two-year contract extension.

As you consider this move, remember last season when Crennel was slow to fire Maurice Carthon as offensive coordinator. At the end of the 2006 season, interim offensive coordinator Jeff Davidson was fired. Savage had to push Crennel to make those moves.

While Crennel signed off on the signing of Rob Chudzinski as offensive coordinator, Savage strongly endorsed the former Chargers tight end coach. Then Chudzinski and Crennel hired most of the other offensive coaches. The point is Crennel went along with Savage's idea to restructure the offensive coaching staff.

This time, it appears Savage followed Crennel's lead in firing Grantham.

Yes, the defense was worse than a year ago. In Grantham's three seasons, the Browns defense dropped in rankings from 16th to 27th to 30th. But Savage admitted several times that he put more draft picks and free-agent cash into the offense, especially the line.

Three of Savage's four first-round picks have been on offense. Second-rounders have gone to defense: linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, cornerback Eric Wright and safety Brodney Pool. The plan for the Browns was to fix the defense this off-season. Scouts were dispatched to find defensive linemen and linebackers, especially inside linebackers.

And the defense improved over the course of the season, giving up 29.4 points in the first 10 games, 14.6 after.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1200130494212380.xml&coll=2

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
well, Next season we play the afc north. THere is no doubt he knows those 4 teams inside out.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1925519 said:
Two days ago, before Grantham was canned, the Orange and Brown Report had this:

And just what was the genesis of the problems between Crennel and Grantham? According to several players, none of whom would speak on the record, Grantham "schemed behind RAC's back" in an effort to get him fired before the bye so that he could take over as the interim head coach and, possibly, secure the position for years to come.

Additionally, there were "scheme and personnel issues" between not only Grantham and Crennel, but between Grantham and players on the defensive side of the ball. In particular, veterans have been exasperated over Grantham's unwillingness to even listen to input on various defensive issues.

Wow. It's important to keep in mind that OBR cites unnamed sources, but given how this thing has played out, the accounts certainly seem feasible.

The Orange and Brown Report is the Cleveland version of Roy Philpott. I'm not sure if it's any more credible.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
And he spent a few years with Crennel's football mind

and a 3-4 guy last two gigs.

Excellent hire. Lot of experience for a younger coach.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
A former DC experienced in the 3-4 as DL coach. Looks like a solid hire.

LowTech

the most important member
Reaction score
Maybe crennel simply felt Grantham was a threat.......who knows

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
LowTech;1925871 said:
Maybe crennel simply felt Grantham was a threat.......who knows

If the coordinator of the 30th ranked defense in the NFL is a threat, you got problems.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Woods;1925414 said:
He's a pretty young guy as well . . . .

Yea that caught my eye as well. He has to be one of the younger guys to be a DC this past season.

For a low-level defensive assistant looks like a great hire. Though I'd wager he'll be out of here soon in a position of more authority.