Defensive positives and negatives and where improvement must come

Bobhaze

Staff member
Messages
22,376
Reaction score
94,740
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Game 3 positive and negatives vs the ravens and more importantly where this defense MUST improve…
POSITIVES - honestly not many but here they are:
  • The ravens had 12 possessions and we forced 3 punts and two 4th down stops.
  • We had two red zone stops
  • Held Derrick Henry to less than 4 yds per carry.
NEGATIVES
  • 34 points on 387 yds; 7 splash plays (20 yards or more)
  • Lamar Jackson had no pressure and had a 9.2 yards per attempt passing, well above leave avg.
  • Gave up nearly 200 yds rushing
  • No sacks
  • Zero turnovers
Btw - interesting stat from Bob Sturm on Cowboys defense the last decade: We are 0-10 in games where we get no sacks and no turnovers. The defense that led the NFL in TOs during the Dan Quinn era is long gone, at least at the moment.

WHERE WE MUST IMPROVE TO HAVE A SHOT AT BEING A PLAYOFF TEAM
  • We must start getting some sacks and TOs) No sacks or to’s mean we have no chance. (Again we are 0-10 in last decade when we get no sacks and no TOs)
  • Stop giving up so many big plays.
  • Stop the run. (Where have we heard this before?)
One reason I’m a little “meh” on the Joey Porter trade - he won’t pressure the QB. It’s hard to get picks when there’s no pass rush.

So I will be watching to see if we can manufacture any kind of pass rush the next few weeks. Through 18% of the season, our defense has to blitz to get pressure which puts it all on the secondary. Maybe Porter helps in coverage some. Time will tell.
 
Sacks and picks. Can't generate much of either. Of the two sacks we do have, they only amounted to -1 total yards lost. Basically, no-gain plays rather than an effective sack that costs a team 5 to 8 yards or more.
 
Sacks and picks. Can't generate much of either. Of the two sacks we do have, they only amounted to -1 total yards lost. Basically, no-gain plays rather than an effective sack that costs a team 5 to 8 yards or more.
That’s why I thought getting some help for the pass rush was way more important than getting a corner. Porter can be good but I’m not sure even a guy like Deion or Champ Bailey can cover somebody for 10 seconds, lol
 
Another great post, Bob.

I believe they all look lost most of the time, the scheme isn’t there and I believe our beloved DC has no sense of adjusting to play situational football, just look at the pitiful last play vs Ravens.

Dallas needs real coaching, but that won’t be happening in this so called football team.
 
To your successes list I thought Barham was THE catalyst to most of those by his own production or by setting the example/mentality that others followed his lead.

I hope this last game wasnt one where the defense just got really up for the challenge of tackling Henry and now will regress to Game one and 2 standards.

BUT.. Does that sound even close to good enough after reading all the negatives listed to include still giving up 192 yards rushing anyway?

I guess it's still a CowboysZone suffering from that 2025 hangover, debacle or PTSD in which any almost bare minimum improvement can be a positive.

I still think there's no edges. 1 linebacker and 1 and a half corners (since Durant is currently hurt) at all 3 levels.

My opinion.
 
It doesnt matter if you have all pros in the backfield. When you generate no pressure and get run over in the trenches its going to be a loooong game.

Let alone the scheme and miscommunication
 
One reason I’m a little “meh” on the Joey Porter trade - he won’t pressure the QB. It’s hard to get picks when there’s no pass rush.
Nice write up Bob but I'm not meh on the Porter pickup because im not looking at it from the prism of 2026.

In my bloodshot eyes im looking at 2027 in which they pickup their Edge guy in the offseason along with another LB and we have Curious George Pickens for one more year on another franchise tag.

Defenses just dont go from 30th to middlin in just one season. However, they must show at least tangible evidence that they've improved this season for 2027 to be realistic...... the clock is ticking.
 
Bottomline is this isn’t what was being hyped all offseason. Not even close.

I was in wait and see mode but I at least thought it would be improved. WTH is going on?

We’ll see what the mood is if we drop to 1-3.
 
Game 3 positive and negatives vs the ravens and more importantly where this defense MUST improve…
POSITIVES - honestly not many but here they are:
  • The ravens had 12 possessions and we forced 3 punts and two 4th down stops.
  • We had two red zone stops
  • Held Derrick Henry to less than 4 yds per carry.
NEGATIVES
  • 34 points on 387 yds; 7 splash plays (20 yards or more)
  • Lamar Jackson had no pressure and had a 9.2 yards per attempt passing, well above leave avg.
  • Gave up nearly 200 yds rushing
  • No sacks
  • Zero turnovers
Btw - interesting stat from Bob Sturm on Cowboys defense the last decade: We are 0-10 in games where we get no sacks and no turnovers. The defense that led the NFL in TOs during the Dan Quinn era is long gone, at least at the moment.

WHERE WE MUST IMPROVE TO HAVE A SHOT AT BEING A PLAYOFF TEAM
  • We must start getting some sacks and TOs) No sacks or to’s mean we have no chance. (Again we are 0-10 in last decade when we get no sacks and no TOs)
  • Stop giving up so many big plays.
  • Stop the run. (Where have we heard this before?)
One reason I’m a little “meh” on the Joey Porter trade - he won’t pressure the QB. It’s hard to get picks when there’s no pass rush.

So I will be watching to see if we can manufacture any kind of pass rush the next few weeks. Through 18% of the season, our defense has to blitz to get pressure which puts it all on the secondary. Maybe Porter helps in coverage some. Time will tell.
A shut down CB also you to blitz more frequently.
 
The interior run defense did a good job - shockingly good, cause Baltimore is about as tough as that test gets. Our weakness is on the edges.

And of course, the secondary is trash. You aren't going to win many games where you give up 9 YPA.
Yep, THAT shockingly good part I want to see consistently. I think they just might have got up for the challenge of Henry.

IF the interior can play that well all the time this is extreme progress and I will acknowledge it.

Yep, and I also agree with you on these edges pass rushing or trying to set the edge have been horrendous along with the corners coverage.
 
Yep, THAT shockingly good part I want to see consistently. I think they just might have got up for the challenge of Henry.

IF the interior can play that well all the time this is extreme progress and I will acknowledge it.

Yep, and I also agree with you on these edges pass rushing or trying to set the edge have been horrendous along with the corners coverage.
Again when you can't stop the run, everyone has to commit to it and it will hurt the pass rush and your coverage in the secondary.
 
Game 3 positive and negatives vs the ravens and more importantly where this defense MUST improve…
POSITIVES - honestly not many but here they are:
  • The ravens had 12 possessions and we forced 3 punts and two 4th down stops.
  • We had two red zone stops
  • Held Derrick Henry to less than 4 yds per carry.
NEGATIVES
  • 34 points on 387 yds; 7 splash plays (20 yards or more)
  • Lamar Jackson had no pressure and had a 9.2 yards per attempt passing, well above leave avg.
  • Gave up nearly 200 yds rushing
  • No sacks
  • Zero turnovers
Btw - interesting stat from Bob Sturm on Cowboys defense the last decade: We are 0-10 in games where we get no sacks and no turnovers. The defense that led the NFL in TOs during the Dan Quinn era is long gone, at least at the moment.

WHERE WE MUST IMPROVE TO HAVE A SHOT AT BEING A PLAYOFF TEAM
  • We must start getting some sacks and TOs) No sacks or to’s mean we have no chance. (Again we are 0-10 in last decade when we get no sacks and no TOs)
  • Stop giving up so many big plays.
  • Stop the run. (Where have we heard this before?)
One reason I’m a little “meh” on the Joey Porter trade - he won’t pressure the QB. It’s hard to get picks when there’s no pass rush.

So I will be watching to see if we can manufacture any kind of pass rush the next few weeks. Through 18% of the season, our defense has to blitz to get pressure which puts it all on the secondary. Maybe Porter helps in coverage some. Time will tell.
Haze something has to give, we can't continue just to almost get pressure, I think eventually someone will hit home and maybe that begins to get contagious
 
Bottomline is this isn’t what was being hyped all offseason. Not even close.

I was in wait and see mode but I at least thought it would be improved. WTH is going on?

We’ll see what the mood is if we drop to 1-3.
I’ll never forget the loud cheers all off-season that “this year just feels different”, lol.

I certainly hope we get better of course. But with the hype and marketing this franchise sells to our fan base, I have adopted the philosophy of “I will believe it when it happens.”

There’s a huge difference between hope and belief. After 30 years I I only have hope. Do I believe this FO is capable of building a winning roster and culture that can compete for a championship? No I don’t. I hope it can happen. But I don’t believe it will happen. Until it does.
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,046
Messages
14,659,210
Members
24,226
Latest member
Dorsett99Yards
Back
Top