Defensive ranking the roster (by position)

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Defensive end
1. DeMarcus Lawrence
2. David Irving
3. Tyrone Crawford
4. Benson Mayowa
5. Damontre Moore
6. Taco Charlton
7. Lenny Jones
8. Charles Tapper
9. Darnell Leslie
Reason: I put Irving over Crawford because of what Irving showed in his brief playing time Saturday. Moore is more active overall than Charlton. Jones came on Saturday to overtake Tapper.

Defensive tackle
1. Maliek Collins
2. Stephen Paea
3. Cedric Thornton
4. Lewis Neal
5. Joey Ivie
6. Jordan Carrell
7. Richard Ash
8. Woody Baron
Reason: We haven't seen the top three, but none of the others have shown reason to believe they've overtaken them. Neal has been the most steady of the rest, while Ivie has flashed on a few plays.

Linebacker
1. Sean Lee
2. Anthony Hitchens
3. Jaylon Smith
4. Mark Nzeocha
5. Damien Wilson
6. Joseph Jones
7. Kyle Wilber
8. Justin Durant
9. Keenan Gilchrist
10. John Lotulelei
11, Lucas Wacha
Reason. I had a hard time deciding whether Nzeocha has outplayed Wilson, and Smith might be ranked too high because there's a lot of speculation involved there.

Cornerback
1. Orlando Scandrick
2. Chidobe Awusie
3. Nolan Carroll
4. Anthony Brown
5. Duke Thomas
6. Marquez White
7. Jourdan Lewis
8. Sammy Seamster
9. Leon McFadden
Reason: Awusie is primarily ahead of Carroll and Brown because he's making plays on the ball. Carroll and Brown are about even at this point, but I didn't think Brown was particularly strong against Arizona while the secondary performed well against LA with Carroll on the field. Lewis would likely be ranked higher, but we simply haven't seen him.

Safety
1. Byron Jones
2. Xavier Woods
3. Jeff Heath
4. Kavon Frazier
5. Jamiell Showers
6. Robert Blanton
Reason: Woods was all over the field Saturday while Heath has had a pretty quiet camp and hasn't really shown up in games.

JonCJG

Reaction score
Jourdan Lewis will be the number #2 corner on this team by the end of the year. Furthermore when he's healthy, he's one of your top 3 cbs immediately.

I've seen him play since he was in high school; he's a stud.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Jourdan Lewis will be the number #2 corner on this team by the end of the year. Furthermore when he's healthy, he's one of your top 3 cbs immediately.

I've seen him play since he was in high school; he's a stud.

Be interesting to see him. I certainly would not be bothered if he rises up quickly and pushes lesser players down.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Looks great except LB. Wilson has been outstanding this preseason.

I don't think he has. I didn't focus on him particularly in the first game, but there were some moments when he put himself in a poor position. He was much better in the second game.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I don't think he has. I didn't focus on him particularly in the first game, but there were some moments when he put himself in a poor position. He was much better in the second game.
Well every Cowboy columnist does and so do I. He had an outstanding blitz and sack vs Arz.We're all entitled to our opinion but there's no way nzechoa has looked better.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Well every Cowboy columnist does and so do I. He had an outstanding blitz and sack vs Arz.We're all entitled to our opinion but there's no way nzechoa has looked better.

I knocked off on Wilson for his first game. The sack was good, but he also seemed to miss some assignments. Nzeocha has shown some good and some bad. As I said, I felt I could have gone either way with the two of them up to this point. But that doesn't mean I'm disappointed with Wilson. If he plays like he did against LA, I'll be happy with that.