Defensive starters?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
blindzebra;1487110 said:
We have depth at LB?

Where?

If Carp moves inside we have 3 inside LBs.

After Ware, Spencer, Ellis and Burnett we have Glymph...factor in I bet Ellis plays more DE than LB and that gives us 6 guys, plus crap.
If Carp and Burnett move inside, as I suspect they will, we'll have Ellis, Ware, Spencer, and Glymph on the outside, and James, Ayodele, Carpenter, and Burnett on the inside.

That's 4 for 2 positions and another 4 for 2 other positions. I think that's depth.

We could have up to 3 starters get hurt and still put a competent set of LBs on the field.

Let's say Ware, Ellis, and Ayodele are hurt. Then you stick Spencer and Carpenter (or Glymph) outside, and have James and Burnett (or Carpenter) inside. To have 3 guys hurt, that's not a bad group of linebackers. How many teams, particularly a 3-4 team, can say they can have 3 starters injured and still put out a solid group of linebackers?

The key that makes it all work is having Carpenter and Burnett able to play both.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Starters in bold:
DE (4)= Ellis, Hatcher, Spears, Canty
NT (3)=Ferguson, Ratliff, Olg (UDFA)
OLB (4)=Ware, Spencer, Burnett, Saldi
ILB (4)=Carpenter, Ayodele, Brady, Hoyte
CB (5)=Newman, Henry, Glenn, N. Jones, C. Brown (UDFA)
SS (3)=Roy, Keith Davis, Abram Elam
FS (2)=Watkins, Hamilin

I believe that the Cowboys will keep their best performers and Elam bumps Bowen off of the 53 man roster.

Ratliff can play DE or NT.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
ethiostar;1486915 said:
I looked at the Chargers website to get an idea of how Wade approaches the depth chart on the defensive side of the ball. I did this because i wanted to see how many players he keeps at each position and here is what i see.

DE=7
NT=3
OLB=4
ILB=4
CB=5
SS=1
FS=2

I understand each team has different types of players and coaches adjust to the skills and strengths of the players they have on thier rosters, especially Wade. Also, it is a little hard to determine the defensive side of the ball without considering the entire roster, because depending on the flexibility of players on the game day roster, they might not take as many players for some positions (i.e., OL). Additioally, Wade has already said he is going to move people around, so someone like Carpenter will be playing both ILB and OLB.

Keeping all this in mind, how do you see the depth chart for the Boy's defense this season? The way i see it, and i realize it's way too early for this but what the heck i'm bored......

DE (5)=Spears, Canty, Hatcher, Ratliff, Bowen
NT (3)=Furgeson, Stanley, Olg (UDFA)
OLB (4)=Ware, Spenser, Ellis, Burnett
ILB (5)=Brady, Akin, Carpenter, Hoyte
CB (5)=Newman, Henry, Glenn, N. Jones, C. Brown (UDFA)
SS (2)=Roy, Keith Davis
FS (2)=Hamilin, Watkins

I'm i forgetting someone on DE? it seems like there should be more DE. Also i'm not sure where Elam and Glymph fit.

Ratliff and Bowen will also see some action at NT i believe.

any ideas?

Brown was drafted