Define Football

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
I am writing an article and was wondering about other people's opinions on the definition of football. You can be abstract about the emotions or the history the game has with you, etc. Or you can be literal, x's and o's.

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
stealth;1384567 said:
I am writing an article and was wondering about other people's opinions are on the definition of football. You can be abstract about the emotions or the history the game has with you, etc. Or you can be literal, x's and o's.
A game loved by those who have actually played it. LOL

Jack

Reaction score
stealth;1384567 said:
I am writing an article and was wondering about other people's opinions are on the definition of football. You can be abstract about the emotions or the history the game has with you, etc. Or you can be literal, x's and o's.

Football is a sport where two groups of men try to impose their will to obtain each other's territory. This is accomplished through speed, strength, plotting, heart and violent head on collisions.

PosterChild

Reaction score
Football is all about real estate. You seek to take as much as possible from your opponet while protecting your own. You move the ball as you grab more and more territory, and hopefully, cross into the most prized terrotory (we call it the end zone) and that's how you keep score. It's all very American.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
philo beddoe;1384584 said:
Just making fun of an old thread I once started. LOL. Lighten up.

I know what you were doing, and I am in no way shape or form emotionally vested or concerned. lighten up
those smiley thingies on the right of your screen are far less annoying than typing LOL, FYI.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;1384587 said:
FOOTBALL: A ball requiring a foot to be played with. ;)

ya when I pitched the idea thats exactly what he thought I was going to do, honestly would be neat essay to write 3000 words describing the actual ball. May do that for fun and see how it turns out.

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
stealth;1384589 said:
I know what you were doing, and I am in no way shape or form emotionally vested or concerned. lighten up
those smiley thingies on the right of your screen are far less annoying than typing LOL, FYI.
"LOL" has always been a trademark of mine. I like it.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
stealth;1384567 said:
I am writing an article and was wondering about other people's opinions on the definition of football. You can be abstract about the emotions or the history the game has with you, etc. Or you can be literal, x's and o's.

My wife defines it as woman repellant! She defines it as another type of repellant as well, but I don't think I can post it here! Hard times at the Rodriguez household during the season!

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I can't help you out stealth, I never played an organized game of football, sorry

;)

to answer your question, football is a game of trying to score more than your opponent, and viceversa, hold them to less points than yourself, there are 11 men on the field on both sides of the ball, 4 downs, a K and a P :)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
During the season football was the essence of obsession. It was my ticket out of nowhere to go somewhere. My ticket to paradise where cheerleaders were as plentiful as the next smile at them.

When I did distance training I ran half the way with a football tucked into my right arm, and half with it tucked in my left arm.

When no one else would play I would go run through the desert with a football and pretend the mesquite bushes were tacklers. I never knew where the next bush would be and if the branches brushed me it was the same as being tackled. This training exercise ended for me one day as I turned a corner around a bush and had to leap over a 6 foot long rattlesnake. I broke the long jump record that day. The only problem is the only witness had a forked tongue and hissed.

It's hard to explain enjoying pain, but it was almost a comforting feeling after a game to wake up so sore I could barely move. In my mind I can still smell my traditional after game breakfast of a western omlette and bacon on Saturday morning. I still order orange juice for breakfast on Saturday morning if I eat out. On any other day of the week I will order water or apple juice. Saturdays has to be orange juice. I can't explain why.

Then came college and the ticket to somewhere coming true. College for a football player is almost the ascension into deity. You eat at the cafeteria, but don't have to stand in line, and you get extra portions. College football meant never having to wear old sneakers, and though the dream of cheerleaders hanging all over me never materialized, I can't say I'd trade places with non players on a college campus.

I still prefer watching games on TV in a completely dark room because it reminds me of film sessions. The hum of the projector and the banter of the coaches as they outlined chess with human pieces was interrupted only by the clicking of a pointer on the white wall as something was pointed out that we had to watch for. Maybe that's why I don't mind John Madden and his "boom" drawings the way some do. For me he talks like a coach, and it is somehow comforting.

For me, football was never a game. It was my escape from the pressure of the real world that I desperately wanted out of because for me, growing up, it was a nightmare. Under those lights, on those fresh cut grass fields, whether it was cheers or boos, everything was right in world. Especially if we won. There is nothing like winning and seeing grinning teammates and coaches all around you. That's when you wish it would never fade into the recesses of your memory as age pushes those days further and further away.

But you always have the memories, and you treasure them.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and keep them coming, I want to put as much broad based perspective as I can into it. I have to get offline now but I will check back late tonight or in the morning, I will start writing tomorrow. You guys will be a huge help to me, so thanks!

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
stealth;1384641 said:
Thanks for the replies and keep them coming, I want to put as much broad based perspective as I can into it. I have to get offline now but I will check back late tonight or in the morning, I will start writing tomorrow. You guys will be a huge help to me, so thanks!
No trouble at all. You're welcome.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me, football is a war fought on many battlefields, with armies of men, both young and old, fighting for ultimate victory over their opponents. Most of the battles which take place are memorable, some not as much, but none are forgettable for those who enjoy watching the best team sport in the world. I luv this game!

CosmicCowboy

Reaction score
football..I love football..if they didn't have football..I couldn't play football..I love football....:lmao: