Define Football

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A war between men among men...trying to move an odd shaped ball that does not cooperate, into enemy territory and eventually into the house of that enemy, to secure the spoils, that secure victory.

To the players?
Blood, sweat, and tears...

To the fans?
Heartbreak or exuberance, maybe tears…

An American cult ritual only exceeded by Politics or Religion…or maybe not!

:star:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
All I can say about Football.... Dallas Cowboys Football that is..... is...... When the game is coming on I get so pumped that I feel like I am playing the game and....... thats is the case on every snap of the ball during the game and.......... doesnt end until game is over........... then starts again with the highlights of the said game:D

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
...Unlike most other contact sports, ...American Football is a collision sport.

The first professional American Football game in the United States took place in 1895 in the town of Latrobe, Pennsylvania, between a team representing Latrobe and a team from Jeannette, Pennsylvania. In the following years many professional teams were formed, including the Duquesnes of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; the Olympics of McKeesport, Pennsylvania; the Bulldogs of Canton, Ohio; and the team of Massillon, Ohio. Noted college players who took up the professional game during its early years include Willie Heston (formerly at the University of Michigan), Fritz Pollard (Brown University), and Jim Thorpe (Carlisle Indian School).

As we reflect on what this game has evolved into, we can realize that the game of football is one of the (if not "the") most dangerous games that can be played under the auspices of the name "sporting event." From kick-off until the sound of the final whistle ...someone is almost guaranteed to get injured.

But if asked the question ...would we do anything different ...you'd probably get told ...I wouldn't change a got-dern thing (quote from the movie "Seige at Fire station Gloria")

burmafrd

Reaction score
The truly sweet sound of the wails and lamentations of the fans of your beaten opponents....

Spectre

Reaction score
To me, football is the ultimate team sport.

Where else in sports is there an opportunity for a guy 300+ lbs to play a role as important as his teammate of half the stature and everything in between?
No one player can win the game alone as in many other sports. It requires many working in a coordinated fashion.
What other sport requires the immense mental aspect of football. The play calling, recognition, assignments, etc.?
In what other sport is the coach as integral and involved in every aspect of the game?
Where else do you have players assigned solely to defense and different players to offense?
What other sport involves kicking, throwing and catching?
Finally, what other sport looks more uniform in the sense that the players all look the same from afar as a result of the head-to-toe apparel. No one stands out as an individual. (ie: Rodman) The team truly looks like a unit.
What other sport allows you to physically take out your aggression on the opponent rather than building tension that leads to a ridiculous fight.
What other sport do professionals actually play hard during the games?

I could go on but that's the jist of it to me.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Football is for people like me. To fat too play tennis and to thin to sumo wrestle. :)