Dell OptiPlex 7010

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
That is what I am using. Should I upgrade? Works ok for what I do but has a lil lag to it on some things.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Just wait and upgrade with neurolink and enter the metaverse that way

Last edited:

Praxit

Reaction score
Just upgrade the ram and replace the drive with SSD hard drive ...that will make it faster.
I take it you are on windows 7 right?
...I agree, I would just upgrade to SSD, that will be huge difference. As for ram, cpu, psu..etc. its just to old.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Why not to install Linux ( like Linux Mint xfc or other distros ) it is light, secure, virus free, up to date and free of charge

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Why not to install Linux ( like Linux Mint xfc or other distros ) it is light, secure, virus free, up to date and free of charge
Will check it out I can actually replace hard drives and install memory that might surprise some folks

Creeper

Reaction score
That is what I am using. Should I upgrade? Works ok for what I do but has a lil lag to it on some things.

How much do you want to spend? You can get 8GB memory and a 1TB SSD for about $120. If you have 16 GB installed already you can't add more memory according to the specs from Dell I read. If you have 8 GB or less installed, another 8 may provide a boost for some functions. If you have only 4 GB now, then replacing that with 16 GB will definitely be a noticeable improvement. $28 at Newegg for an 8 GB module, $43 for a pair. The SSD will help a bit more, depending on how you use the machine. Hard drive related actions will speed up significantly, so booting for example will take a lot less time. If you have only 4 GB of memory installed then your system is probably using your hard drive to cache info it needs when executing certain programs. That will slow everything down significantly. If this is the case, then the upgrades should make you happier.

Also, if your existing HD is full that will slow the system down as well. In this case get a larger capacity SSD than you already have installed. I find it amazing how quickly Windows can fill up a hard drive so the bigger the better. Like I said, I found a 1 TB SSD at Newegg for $90. If you look around you may find an even better deal.

These upgrades will not help you with the Windows 11 incompatibility though.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
How much do you want to spend? You can get 8GB memory and a 1TB SSD for about $120. If you have 16 GB installed already you can't add more memory according to the specs from Dell I read. If you have 8 GB or less installed, another 8 may provide a boost for some functions. If you have only 4 GB now, then replacing that with 16 GB will definitely be a noticeable improvement. $28 at Newegg for an 8 GB module, $43 for a pair. The SSD will help a bit more, depending on how you use the machine. Hard drive related actions will speed up significantly, so booting for example will take a lot less time. If you have only 4 GB of memory installed then your system is probably using your hard drive to cache info it needs when executing certain programs. That will slow everything down significantly. If this is the case, then the upgrades should make you happier.

Also, if your existing HD is full that will slow the system down as well. In this case get a larger capacity SSD than you already have installed. I find it amazing how quickly Windows can fill up a hard drive so the bigger the better. Like I said, I found a 1 TB SSD at Newegg for $90. If you look around you may find an even better deal.

These upgrades will not help you with the Windows 11 incompatibility though.
thanks