Delta Airlines

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Gotta vent, I am a bit ticked off right now.

I had to cancel my golf trip to Myrtle Beach today due to bar, restaurant and golf course closings for a few weeks.

I had no issue getting a full refund from the hotel, car rental, golf courses or from United Airlines for the flight there.

However, Delta Airlines is sticking to their cancellation policy and basically keeping my money for the return flight. All $642 of it! If it was a normal circumstance I would get it, but considering we are basically in a crisis and entire towns are basically shutdown it makes me really angry that they are treating people this way.

The best part is knowing that my tax dollars will be used to bail them out when this is over as well.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I believe is one of the companies that benefitted massively by the recent tax cuts and spent boatloads of cash on stock buybacks. Rather than saving some of it.

Now they have their hand out wanting a bailout.

It’s disgusting.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I had to cancel my golf trip to Myrtle Beach today due to bar, restaurant and golf course closings for a few weeks.

I had no issue getting a full refund from the hotel, car rental, golf courses or from United Airlines for the flight there.

However, Delta Airlines is sticking to their cancellation policy and basically keeping my money for the return flight. All $642 of it! If it was a normal circumstance I would get it, but considering we are basically in a crisis and entire towns are basically shutdown it makes me really angry that they are treating people this way.

The best part is knowing that my tax dollars will be used to bail them out when this is over as well.
They're probably glad you cancelled, so they get all the money and none of the cost.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
You're entitled to a change your flight, free of charge, or get future travel credit.

https://news.delta.com/need-change-...-simple-rebooking-options-without-change-fees

Maybe they changed their mind :)

Honestly, though, a voucher does me no good as it would expire in Dec and it is highly unlikely I will be able to take another trip this year since I already have something booked and paid for in Sept.

2020-03-19_0930.png

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We cancelled a couple of trips planned for April and May. The hotels and car rentals refunded the full price. The airlines simply credited us for future travel and waived any future change fees.

The thought of a major bailout of the banking, airline, automotive, etc industries bothered me a bit until I read a couple of recent articles (still trying to find the link to share) outlining the far-reaching impact these industries have on our economy. Fundamentally, the salient point of the articles was that the US is fundamentally a "interdependent service industry" economy and failure of any one component could, in the worst case, lead to a global collapse. Yes, a bit dire but who would have thought six months ago that a viral strain could bring the world to a standstill?

As much as it may bother me, bailing out these industries is not just good business, but a requirement

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Delta fought my company too, but we ended up getting full *credit*, but they weren't refunding the money.

heh I read the airlines had collectively about $39 billion dollar in stock buybacks recently. They won't refund your money and they want a $50 billion dollar bailout.

Talking about robbing the American people. Enrich themselves, take the American people's ticket money, and then ask for $50B more! Fo'Free!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We cancelled a couple of trips planned for April and May. The hotels and car rentals refunded the full price. The airlines simply credited us for future travel and waived any future change fees.

The thought of a major bailout of the banking, airline, automotive, etc industries bothered me a bit until I read a couple of recent articles (still trying to find the link to share) outlining the far-reaching impact these industries have on our economy. Fundamentally, the salient point of the articles was that the US is fundamentally a "interdependent service industry" economy and failure of any one component could, in the worst case, lead to a global collapse. Yes, a bit dire but who would have thought six months ago that a viral strain could bring the world to a standstill?

As much as it may bother me, bailing out these industries is not just good business, but a requirement
While people are at home, I suggest they watch "Too Big to Fail" as I was one of those militants against the bail out, especially hearing what those pirates did with the money, but there is part of that movie that addresses the domino effect on just everyday people and what could have happened. They decided to reward the perps instead of punishing the truly innocent and most vulnerable.

It will be the same with the airline industry and probably others. And we will be pissed but we also are not as aware of the long term effects of not doing that.

Delta should issue full credit toward future flight and extend the expiration date and they may yet do that. Sometimes companies are like people, blindside them and it takes a little time to come back to center.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've got a credit for all my flights and luckily I should be able to use them later this year. You can always purchase refundable tickets. They're more expensive but you take a chance if your travel changes. I don't purchase those refundable tickets and I've been burned before.

the_h0wey

Reaction score

That sucks. I always book all my travel with my American Express card. If you have to cancel for any reason AMEX will refund you 100%. I've done this several different times.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Back in the early 2000s, I was flying out of BWI, back home. Was in Maryland working for a couple weeks and was trying to beat a storm home. So anyway, had a 6 O'Clock flight out. Long story short, engine gave up the ghost on take off and we were very lucky to have a great pilot because I'd be dead now if he hadn't been able to get us down. Very, very lucky is all I can say. Anyhow, deployed the emergency Evac slides and we all got off the plan at the arse end of nowhere on an airstrip and eventually got transported back to the hanger area. From there, they sent us back to the terminal and put us in an area that wasn't being used, at the time. It's interesting because there were no chairs, nobody around. They just lined us up and had us stand there. Hours went by and nobody offered us coffee, water, nothing. Nobody came and talked to us, nothing at all. There were no representatives, nobody said anything to us. Just made us stand and wait for like 4 hours. That was Delta. I've never flown them since and I probably won't ever gain. If they are having money issues, it's not because of Corona. It's because that airline sucks out loud IMO.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Maybe they changed their mind :)

Honestly, though, a voucher does me no good as it would expire in Dec and it is highly unlikely I will be able to take another trip this year since I already have something booked and paid for in Sept.

2020-03-19_0930.png

Haha, they changed the link:

https://news.delta.com/coronavirus-update-how-were-making-it-easy-change-your-travel-plans

Unfortunately, you probably bought a ticket that isn't refundable. If you keep pushing, you may be able to get a full refund, you just have to keep going up the chain. I recommend contacting them through Twitter.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
That sucks. I always book all my travel with my American Express card. If you have to cancel for any reason AMEX will refund you 100%. I've done this several different times.

That is interesting, I bought it through the Amex website using that credit card. Guess it is worth giving them a call to see if they can help me out.