Demarco Murray gears up by putting his head down

mmohican29

Reaction score
One thing I noticed in his running style is he gears up by putting his head down. If you watch his college highlights, you'll notice his head dip or angle as soon as he is in space, setting up a sprint or a swivel. His lateral agility is fine, in fact I think it's better than scouts give him credit for.

I don't know how all this translates to a long term successful NFL career, I just think his running style is unique and I haven't seen anyone else with such a pronounced "tell", but his prodcution in college was obscene, and he's off to a good start.

I've read somewhere he "out-athleted" college defenses, and wouldn't be able to do that in the NFL. Maybe that opinion was wrong. Alot of people said the same thing about Dez.

In any event, I like him in the starter's role even with a healthy Felix, as much as I like Felix he has never really "run" with the lead dog role. He's a bit too impatient and easy to bring down in congestion.

In contrast, Murray's head up then down approach gives him a natural forward lean, and I think would cut down the number of no-gains or negative plays that plague our short yardage situations. Just sayin.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
all demarco needs his is ol to give him some daylight.

he will do the rest.

but you are right...he proved he can truck folks too.

felix is not a run between tackles guy..he is a reggie bush type.

don juan demarco and tanner are though.

can't wait to see what they can do sunday night.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
lane;4208396 said:
all demarco needs his is ol to give him some daylight.

he will do the rest.

but you are right...he proved he can truck folks too.

don juan demarco and tanner are though.

can't wait to see what they can do sunday night.

They're basically gonna run a 6 up through the Eagle's wide 9 defensive front and make them our little prison *****.

shockandroll

Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4208407 said:
They're basically gonna run a 6 up through the Eagle's wide 9 defensive front and make them our little prison *****.[/quote]

lol, thanks for the laugh! Seemed like all the posts I read first thing irritated me, I needed to smile! :lmao:

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
He runs "tall" a lot like Eric Dickerson did. He's only 6'0" but he looks taller on the field because he runs upright.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4208496 said:
He runs "tall" a lot like Eric Dickerson did. He's only 6'0" but he looks taller on the field because he runs upright.

He did not run upright against the rams.

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
mmohican29;4208386 said:
His lateral agility is fine, in fact I think it's better than scouts give him credit for.

That move he made to his left at about mid-field last week was crazy!! I'd say laterally he's pretty darn good.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Murray has no wiggle. That's not something concocted by Cowboys' hating scouts. But he's got really good vision to set up blockers in the open field.

He's a one cut and go back with an upright running style that never makes him look as fast as he is.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe it was Broaddus (twitter) who said Murray needs to work on running with his head up so he can see the holes.

Said he did a better job of it in the Rams, but that it's something he's going to have to work on.

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4208496 said:

i see what you mean. his running style reminded me of Dez Bryant

MegaMagick

Reaction score
lane;4208396 said:

Uhhh...no, Felix can definitely run through/in between tackles. He's much stronger and more versatile than a guy like Bush or Sproles.

followthestar

Reaction score
I'll always say that what made Emmitt the greatest as far as yardage is his patience, vision, and intestinal fortitude. Some backs never get it because they don't have the patience to wait for blocks to develop or the vision to see where the hole will develop. Murray seems to have both. Jones in several recent games has not shown those things, and I thought he had them which is why he excited me. Maybe he can be re-taught those principles but I prefer a guy who has those skills naturally...