DeMarcus Lawrence surgery a success

ShortRound

Reaction score

FRISCO - DeMarcus Lawrence was not bragging when at his Tuesday press conference here at The Star he said, “I’m just in my moment right now, so y’all got to excuse me. This is very special to me.''

He was actually humbled by his "moment,'' while also using it as a launching pad toward a goal.

“The contract is a big accomplishment, but my goal is still to have a gold jacket,'' said the Pro Bowl defensive end with the new five-year, $105-million deal. "That’s what I’m hitting on. I’m so honored just to be a Cowboys and to be able to do it here. I’ve got a lot of work to keep doing. ... But I’ve just got to keep building, keep building on my resume.”

Indeed, the "building'' continued on Wednesday, with Lawrence undergoing surgery to his left shoulder to repair the torn labrum that's been ailing him for more than a year. We're told this morning that the surgery has been deemed "successful.''

The prognosis on Tank's recover from the procedure performed by Dr. Dan Cooper, who works for the Cowboys but is also regarded as one of the world's finest surgeons? Agent David Canter continues to caution to us that it could be up to a six-month recover. The Cowboys generally view four months as realistic.

And Lawrence himself said, "I'll definitely be ready for the start of the season.''

That can make all the difference for a franchise with a rich history of rich talent. Being a Cowboy was a way for stars in Roger Staubach's era (though the NFL itself certainly never paid anyone like this). And in the 1990s, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders were among those who cashed in. Later it would be DeMarcus Ware and Tony Romo (before Tank's $65 mil guarantee the Cowboy with the largest deal, Romo having earned a $55 mil guarantee in 2012). But nobody has done it quite like Lawrence, who concedes his ups and downs in a Cowboys uniform -- complete with his own one-time concerns that injuries might've take him down.

“I have so many emotions going on right now,” said Lawrence. “It’s hard for me to take it in. I’m just blessed to be in this position in my life ... Going through the back surgeries and stuff, I thought my career was over. Before I even made a couple of sacks, I thought I would never see this day. I am blessed just to be here, let alone just taking it all in. It’s a lot.''

And once Tank Lawrence is recovered? The Cowboys hope he gives them a lot in return.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I see Lawrence doing nothing in camp but conditioning work and obviously he'll get no preseason.

I just hope he's not too rusty for the opener. Would have felt a lot better if he had this done the week after the Rams playoff loss.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I see Lawrence doing nothing in camp but conditioning work and obviously he'll get no preseason.

I just hope he's not too rusty for the opener. Would have felt a lot better if he had this done the week after the Rams playoff loss.

That's slightly less than he probably would have done without the surgery. I think his preseason was going to be a lot like Elliott's was last year. The team wasn't going to really risk getting him injured in meaningless games. He could have used some practices to keep the rust away, but it wasn't going to be much action, lots of walk-throughs and veteran days.

rags747

Reaction score
Such a Fake News story, did anyone actually believe that we would see a Lawrence surgical story of it being a Total Failure? Do u think the Jones boys had insurance to cover such an outcome?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Send up a flare when you hear that a surgery for a non-life threatening issue was "not successful".

I forgot who it was, but there was a college player a few years back that had a knee procedure botched. He needed another one and it really hurt his draft stock.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Puzzling... we've had current and former players undergo a medical procedure resulting in a success/positive outcome and because multiple tumors weren't removed from the brain some can't offer the customary phrase...great news :huh:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Such a Fake News story, did anyone actually believe that we would see a Lawrence surgical story of it being a Total Failure? Do u think the Jones boys had insurance to cover such an outcome?
Not for the Cap, no.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

FRISCO - DeMarcus Lawrence was not bragging when at his Tuesday press conference here at The Star he said, “I’m just in my moment right now, so y’all got to excuse me. This is very special to me.''

He was actually humbled by his "moment,'' while also using it as a launching pad toward a goal.

“The contract is a big accomplishment, but my goal is still to have a gold jacket,'' said the Pro Bowl defensive end with the new five-year, $105-million deal. "That’s what I’m hitting on. I’m so honored just to be a Cowboys and to be able to do it here. I’ve got a lot of work to keep doing. ... But I’ve just got to keep building, keep building on my resume.”

Indeed, the "building'' continued on Wednesday, with Lawrence undergoing surgery to his left shoulder to repair the torn labrum that's been ailing him for more than a year. We're told this morning that the surgery has been deemed "successful.''

The prognosis on Tank's recover from the procedure performed by Dr. Dan Cooper, who works for the Cowboys but is also regarded as one of the world's finest surgeons? Agent David Canter continues to caution to us that it could be up to a six-month recover. The Cowboys generally view four months as realistic.

And Lawrence himself said, "I'll definitely be ready for the start of the season.''

That can make all the difference for a franchise with a rich history of rich talent. Being a Cowboy was a way for stars in Roger Staubach's era (though the NFL itself certainly never paid anyone like this). And in the 1990s, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders were among those who cashed in. Later it would be DeMarcus Ware and Tony Romo (before Tank's $65 mil guarantee the Cowboy with the largest deal, Romo having earned a $55 mil guarantee in 2012). But nobody has done it quite like Lawrence, who concedes his ups and downs in a Cowboys uniform -- complete with his own one-time concerns that injuries might've take him down.

“I have so many emotions going on right now,” said Lawrence. “It’s hard for me to take it in. I’m just blessed to be in this position in my life ... Going through the back surgeries and stuff, I thought my career was over. Before I even made a couple of sacks, I thought I would never see this day. I am blessed just to be here, let alone just taking it all in. It’s a lot.''

And once Tank Lawrence is recovered? The Cowboys hope he gives them a lot in return.

source.gif

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Time to load up on the HGH to stimulate the recovery process.

erod

Reaction score
Just once, I'd like to see a doctor come out of surgery and say, "geez, we really screwed that up. He's done."

Of course it went well. Great doctors.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The minute they say "sorry guys, that surgery didn't go so hot" is the minute they get hit with a multi-million dollar lawsuit from the player.