News: DeMarcus Lawrence wants to beat Von Miller to season sacks record

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're entitled to your opinion. I thought it was good sportsmanship on Favre's part.

How so? I’m happy to agree to disagree, but I don’t see how it’s sportsmanlike to throw part of a game. I see that as disrespectful. Sportsmanlike would be to stop and shake is hand once he actually earned the record.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
His career high for a season was 14.5 sacks.

Strahan's career high before he broke the record was 15, and that was three years prior to his record-breaking season. He had 9.5 the year before he set the record and 5.5 the year before that.

It's funny how streaky such things are. He did have an 18.5-sack year two years after setting the record, but had double-digit sacks in only six of his 15 years.

Reaction score
Lawrence is a very good player and it's always good to have aspirational goals.

But Lawrence isn't nearly the pass rusher Von Miller is.

Lawrence is a 10-15 sack guy. And he seems to get them in bunches. Then he disappears for games at a time. Not a recipe for breaking sack records.

bsbellomy

Reaction score

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for him to take Goff's soul. One at a time, please.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Lawrence is a very good player and it's always good to have aspirational goals.

But Lawrence isn't nearly the pass rusher Von Miller is.

Lawrence is a 10-15 sack guy. And he seems to get them in bunches. Then he disappears for games at a time. Not a recipe for breaking sack records.

This is true. D-Law is very good at generating consistent pressure but his sacks tend to fluctuate. However, I think his shoulder injury is what made him disappear late last season. By the playoffs it was almost like he was out there with one arm.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
How so? I’m happy to agree to disagree, but I don’t see how it’s sportsmanlike to throw part of a game. I see that as disrespectful. Sportsmanlike would be to stop and shake is hand once he actually earned the record.
He didn't throw a part of the game. Strahan beat his man and was in Favre's face. Favre merely slide down. Sack.
Strahan put himself in position to get the record. It's not like he was 15 yards away and Favre just stood there until he (Strahan) got there.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He didn't throw a part of the game. Strahan beat his man and was in Favre's face. Favre merely slide down. Sack.
Strahan put himself in position to get the record. It's not like he was 15 yards away and Favre just stood there until he (Strahan) got there.

That's not what actually happened. Favre ignored the play that was called in and ran a naked boot to Strahan (who was 'blocked' by a WR who though the play was going the other direction and didn't really bother to defend it because he didn't know) and then went down, giving him the unearned sack.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
That's not what actually happened. Favre ignored the play that was called in and ran a naked boot to Strahan (who was 'blocked' by a WR who though the play was going the other direction and didn't really bother to defend it because he didn't know) and then went down, giving him the unearned sack.

Who says he ignored the play that was called in?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who says he ignored the play that was called in?

Mike Sherman. IIRC, the OL wasn't that happy with Favre there, either.

But it's just common sense that you're not running a naked boot in that game situation with your WR responsible for Michael Strahan. I mean, come on.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Mike Sherman. IIRC, the OL wasn't that happy with Favre there, either.

But it's just common sense that you're not running a naked boot in that game situation with your WR responsible for Michael Strahan. I mean, come on.
I'd still like to know who said it. If it is a member of the Packers or coaching staff, I'll concede this argument. If not, I stand by my position.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd still like to know who said it. If it is a member of the Packers or coaching staff, I'll concede this argument. If not, I stand by my position.

Mike Sherman, the HC, confirmed that they had a running play called.

...There is no question that Favre knew this, so he changed the play so Strahan could get the sack. ''Strahan can get sacks on his own,'' Sherman said, stressing that the original call was for a handoff. ''We don't have to give it to him.''

Sherman was clearly irritated. Favre had committed a basic sin in football: nothing is free. When Lawrence Taylor was in the same position in 1986 -- facing Green Bay, just a sack and a half behind Gastineau -- did the Packers' quarterback then do a little fixer-upper so Taylor could get it? No. Taylor was shut out.

When asked about the sack, Packers center Mike Flanagan, also irritated about Strahan's gift, said: ''That's not something I'm talking about. Go ask Brett.'' Other offensive linemen were equally bothered."
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/07/...l-cheap-sack-will-cost-favre-and-strahan.html

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Mike Sherman, the HC, confirmed that they had a running play called.

...There is no question that Favre knew this, so he changed the play so Strahan could get the sack. ''Strahan can get sacks on his own,'' Sherman said, stressing that the original call was for a handoff. ''We don't have to give it to him.''

Sherman was clearly irritated. Favre had committed a basic sin in football: nothing is free. When Lawrence Taylor was in the same position in 1986 -- facing Green Bay, just a sack and a half behind Gastineau -- did the Packers' quarterback then do a little fixer-upper so Taylor could get it? No. Taylor was shut out.

When asked about the sack, Packers center Mike Flanagan, also irritated about Strahan's gift, said: ''That's not something I'm talking about. Go ask Brett.'' Other offensive linemen were equally bothered."
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/07/...l-cheap-sack-will-cost-favre-and-strahan.html
Thank you. I concede. :)