Detroit signs Ross Verba

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Detroit releases King for offensive line help

The Detroit Lions announced today that they have signed free-agent guard Ross Verba to a one-year deal with additional club option years. Additional terms of Verba's contract were not disclosed.

,The team also released QB Shaun King.

Verba, an eight-year veteran, signed with Detroit after having spent the previous four seasons with Cleveland and his first four NFL seasons with Green Bay. Verba did not play in 2005 after leaving the Browns on June 9th.

In his eight-year career, Verba has played in 106 games with 100 starts. Verba was drafted by the Packers in the first round of the 1997 NFL Draft.

Verba, who missed the 2003 season with a ruptured right biceps tendon, returned to Cleveland's starting lineup at left tackle in 2004 and was the only Browns' offensive player to start in all 16 regular season games.

As a rookie with the Packers, Verba played in all 16 games and also started all three playoff games, including Super Bowl XXXII when he became the first rookie ever to start at left tackle in the Super Bowl.

King, a six-year veteran, did not play in the NFL last season after being released by the Arizona Cardinals in March 2005. The 28-year-old spent his first five NFL seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and had moderate early success.

King inherited the starting role for Tampa Bay late in his rookie season of 1999 and helped the Bucs reach the NFC Championship Game. He spent the 2000 campaign as the starter, but lost that role in 2001 when Brad Johnson was signed.

In 34 NFL games, including 24 as a starter, King has completed 56.2 percent of his passes for 4,566 yards with 27 touchdowns and 24 interceptions. He has a record of 14-10 as a starting quarterback.

However, since the 2000 season, when he started all 16 games, King has appeared in just 12 contests with three starts.

©2006 Sports Network. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander said:
He is being oppressed. He led the Buccaneers to the playoffs once.
I literally laughed out loud at that. You're killing me today. :lmao2:

superpunk

Reaction score
I agree A - post of the fricken day, LOL. Pretty soon Millen's going to pay for this. Harrington was one thing - but he has gone and DONE it now!

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
I've always liked Ross Verba and was hoping he'd sign with us last year...he's the only player that I know of in the NFL that is doing somewhat decent that went to the same high school as me.

p1_

Reaction score
Alexander said:

That puts him RIGHT THERE with Quinthy Starter.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Lions release Shaun King

Associated Press

Detroit— Former Buccaneers quarterback Shaun King was released by the Deroit Lions on Wednesday, just days before an upcoming minicamp.

"This is a joke ... an insult," King told the Detroit Free Press. "I was throwing all over the field, from either hashmark, with ease. And we were practicing in an indoor facility, so I couldn't throw as deep as I wanted."

Detroit coach Rod Marinelli said King's release was based on performance.

"Someone had to go," added offensive coordinator Mike Martz. "He was the obvious choice. He had the lowest grades."

King's departure leaves veterans Josh McCown and Dan Orlovsky to battle for the No. 2 job behind starter Jon Kitna.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander said:
Lions release Shaun King

Detroit— Former Buccaneers quarterback Shaun King was released by the Deroit Lions on Wednesday, just days before an upcoming minicamp.

"This is a joke ... an insult," King told the Detroit Free Press. "I was throwing all over the field, from either hashmark, with ease. And we were practicing in an indoor facility, so I couldn't throw as deep as I wanted."

"Someone had to go," added offensive coordinator Mike Martz. "He was the obvious choice. He had the lowest grades."
Didn't I just read this same article (almost word for word) last week only it was about QC???

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
p1_ said:
That puts him RIGHT THERE with Quinthy Starter.

p1, please post more often...like maybe 20 or 30 posts a day, OK?

I really don't care what you have to say or anything....but, I absoutely LOVE your posts! :p:

:star:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Didn't I just read this same article (almost word for word) last week only it was about QC???

What the...that is the EXACT same thing! Word for word that was in the Crankcase article when they kicked him to the curb! :eek:

:star:

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Alexander said:
sounds like a former Cowboys QB given his current misfortunes.

superpunk

Reaction score
Whoosh_Whoosh.gif

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
©2006 Sports Network. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Might want to link to the page in the future.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Alexander said:

Be careful what you say. Jerrah could feel the need for an 'established veteran backup QB'....

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
King was a up and coming starter for a short time with TB, wow how time changes

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander said:
Lions release Shaun King

Associated Press

King's departure leaves veterans Josh McCown and Dan Orlovsky to battle for the No. 2 job behind starter Jon Kitna.
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: