Devil’s Advocate for Kellen Moore

robjay04

Reaction score
Let’s talk about Kellen Moore.

First of all, I want to state that I am not a fan of him being an OC but I know 99 percent of fans here seem to feel the same way so I wanted to look at it from a different prospective.

His main objectors point to his short resume. But how did he do in his one year as QB Coach?

Was Dak a better QB at the end of this season than he was at the end of the 2017-2018 season? I believe that answer should be a resounding yes.

There were times during this past season where Dak looked like he may never figure it out but as the season went on...he improved. Even Dak’s biggest fans have to admit that he looked broken at times. He got better at taking what the defense gave him and his pocket presence even improved over the last few weeks of the season. I haven’t heard it from Dak’s mouth but if you read the writing on the wall..Dak would probably thank Moore for his improvement.

Does Moore deserve any credit for that?

I do hear some people say that a guy that can’t make it in the league doesn’t belong as a coach. Doug Pederson wasn’t a very good QB. Actually his pro experience wasn’t that impressive as a coach before becoming the OC for the Chiefs. He turned out okay. Actually MANY good offensive minded coaches are failed NFL QBs so that’s not a valid reason.

He doesn’t look the part but that’s not a valid reason either. Many of us want something new...fact remains that most existing coaching staffs hire within or at least someone they’re familiar with. It’s not reasonable to think Garrett would hire someone he doesn’t know.

It seems like most people that have spent time with Moore do think he’s very knowledgeable and will be a good coach. It’s also not a stretch to say he did a decent job with Dak if you look at the entire season. This wouldn’t be a “typical Cowboys hire”. This is just a typical offensive hire for an existing coaching staff.

Once again...my thoughts on it Moore is hired is meh. Boring hire...but it’s not a stretch to think he could do a good job.

My only opinion..is that if Garrett and Dak are both on board with this, it should be considered as long as neither gets rewarded an extension this offseason. Let Garrett, Dak and Moore either go down in flames together or thrive.