Devin Street and Miles Austin

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I know a lot of people are down on Austin, and for good reason, but bringing him in at or near the veteran minimum if he is healthy would probably be a wise decision depending on how Street develops.

I see the Street draft choice as a strong one. Not necessarily because he is going to see the field a lot, but to rebalance our receiving corps. He might find himself inactive the entire season, but that wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'm a huge fan of Cole Beasley, I expect him to have a really big year this year, and Dwayne Harris is another great slot option. That being said, these two are clear slot guys, and aren't well suited to be the #2 receiver.

What this kid gives us is the ability to develop an outside guy behind Bryant and Williams. If either of them are injured, this kid will have to step up immediately.

That's also a scary thought. If there is an injury it would be smart to bring in Austin if he is still available and healthy. He knows the offense and when truly healthy, he can be productive. I don't know if I'd want to instantly depend on Street as the next man up.

This would be our current receiver corps

1. Dez Bryant
2. Terrance Williams
3. Cole Beasley
4. Dwayne Harris
5. Devin Street

I think Austin will probably find work before we need him, but hamstring injuries or not, he gives us good depth.

We're still a 2 TE team, so I'd expect Devin Street never to be active for a single game assuming everyone stays healthy.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
If we can sign Austin for the vet minimum i can't see any drawback from absolutely doing so. If he ever gets healthy he could definitely regain his old form.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Seems like a no brainer.

It really is, you could sign him to the veteran minimum, and really limit his workload completely. Again, I probably wouldn't sign him until maybe the end of training camp though.

Wood

Reaction score
If there are two positions Dallas is doing it right its OL & WR. That group of WR is set up for years in advance so when Romo replacement comes in he will have group hitting their prime.

manster4ever

Reaction score
Seems like a no brainer.

I agree....IF things didn't end badly with Austin (and I don't think they did) he should be open to coming back. Similar to Spencer, he made ALOT of money for very little production the last few years. Nicest way I can put it.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
I agree....IF things didn't end badly with Austin (and I don't think they did) he should be open to coming back. Similar to Spencer, he made ALOT of money for very little production the last few years. Nicest way I can put it.

Eh, i think he produced more than alot of people think. Sacks aren't the only thing to consider when you talk about production.

RS12

Reaction score
Austin is part of an underachieving core that needs to go and stay gone. In a loaded draft there are bound to be cuts from other teams that can at least not tweak their hammy putting on their uniform.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Eh, i think he produced more than alot of people think. Sacks aren't the only thing to consider when you talk about production.

but it is the most important function of a DE in the 4-3 and with the exception of one year he never was more than average. You can get a run stopper and a 6 sack guy a lot cheaper then spencer ever cost.

burmafrd

Reaction score
You cannot depend on Austin; his hammies will always disappoint you when you need him the most

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
but it is the most important function of a DE in the 4-3 and with the exception of one year he never was more than average. You can get a run stopper and a 6 sack guy a lot cheaper then spencer ever cost.

Spencer always had alot of pressures though, usually right on par or more than Ware even.

I don't think making the QB uncomfortable or making him hurry his throws can be discounted so quickly.

I do agree though that we could probably have found a cheaper replacement that would have performed similarly.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
If he comes back at Vet minimum then I would have no issue with it. Those first two games of the season where he is healthy would be a great top three WR grouping. :)

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Austin is part of an underachieving core that needs to go and stay gone. In a loaded draft there are bound to be cuts from other teams that can at least not tweak their hammy putting on their uniform.

I understand and agree with that but you are one injury away from Devin Street starting as a rookie outside. Probably not what you want to do to win games this year.

So if not Austin, someone. Just for a year.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
From the sound of the interviews with Street and Dooley, this is a player they see as especially smart and hard-working. They appear to have been looking for an outside receiver who would be able to assimilate quickly. Whether their confidence is warranted or not, they seem to think they've found him.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
It's time to move on from Miles Austin. He should have his agent call the Browns and help bring along Johnathan Manziel.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I like that Street catches the ball as opposed to receiving it. I think he could handle starting a couple of games, especially if Dez is still on the field. Harris would probably play outside if it was just a few games. Even at the veteran minimum I think I would puke if Austin tweaked a hammy which is very likely. Not only wasting a roster spot but also forcing one of the young guys or a platoon of the young guys to start anyway.

Not opposed to bringing in some veteran help but I am afraid that Austin is a total progress stopper.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
From the sound of the interviews with Street and Dooley, this is a player they see as especially smart and hard-working. They appear to have been looking for an outside receiver who would be able to assimilate quickly. Whether their confidence is warranted or not, they seem to think they've found him.

He already runs their routes so they think he will assimilate quickly because of that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Just like the Spencer signing....if he can be brought back at a cheap price I do it. Romo and Miles have chemistry when both guys are healthy. Its not even really about you having faith in your young guys. If Dez goes out.....i'd feel a little more comfortable with a Miles, Harris, Beasley and Terrance receiving corp than I would with nothing but rookies and youth.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I understand and agree with that but you are one injury away from Devin Street starting as a rookie outside. Probably not what you want to do to win games this year.

So if not Austin, someone. Just for a year.

Right. I say Austin because I think for what he can bring IF healthy and what his price is? That's probably the most realistic option.

I don't consider Austin a "underachiever". I guess the core was but it wasn't because of Miles. And plus at a discounted rate......you're not reliant on him anymore. He's back to where he was as a undrafted rookie free agent essentially.

But like you said....if not him than SOMEONE. But I expect that SOMEONE to be someone who probably isn't good enough to make this roster.