Devon Hester better than Deion Sanders as a Return Man?

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
Hester probably a better return man, but Deion was so much more.
Shutdown corner and a pretty decent reciever.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
It's hard to argue against it looking at Hester's numbers! I believe he's already surpassed Prime's return TD total already and has played in like 100 fewer games! I hate to anoint someone so quickly but the kid looks like the BEST EVER (except when he's facing KD & his soldiers :) )!

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Yes, in two years Hester has more special teams return TD's than Deion did in his entire career.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I think he is but that kick return yesterday was one of the easiest returns for a TD that I have ever seen. Was it because of him or the huge hole the team provided for him.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
aikemirv;1791208 said:
I think he is but that kick return yesterday was one of the easiest returns for a TD that I have ever seen. Was it because of him or the huge hole the team provided for him.

For everyone one play like that there is a play like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgn-4BLeLsc (about 40 seconds in is when the play starts) that he has four untouched opposition players around him at one point and they are completely helpless.

khiladi

Reaction score
Deven Hester doesn't dance like Deion did. Devon Hester hits the hole, and he doesn't fall down, because he has increible balance. Plus, his acceleration speed is freakin' ridiculous. The guy turns on another gear when he is in the middle of a hole.

It isn't even worth comparing right now, because Hester is on PACE to shatter the return record. He is already among the league leaders and he has gotten numbers other players liek Deion haven't gotten in 100 less games.

The numbers themselves attest that he is going to be unquestionably the best ever, and unless something dramatic happens, such as an injury, this guy is going to have a lot of TDs...

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Let me ask you all something.

Can a player make the Hall of Fame being primarily a Kick Returner?

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
I believe Hester broke Gale Sayers' record for most returns for TDs.

Yes, Hester is better return man than Deion Sanders.

MagicMan

Reaction score
panchucko;1791195 said:
Hester probably a better return man, but Deion was so much more.
Shutdown corner and a pretty decent reciever.

Exactly, Hester is a stud in PR and KR, but does not carry over to WR or even RB---much less at CB. He is strictly a ST player---nothing wrong with that.

Deion was a great shutdown CB, who also happened to be very good at PR.

PR and KR is an art, Hester has mastered it---I like the Cleveland kid too, Josh Cribbs. Wish the Cowboys would one day draft someone like this to just play ST......it has become an important part of the game. You would think that teams would just kick it away or out of bounds, but somehow you can't resist to challenge your own special teams and sooner or later, Hester will burn you. The 'Boys played Hester incredibly well last time in Chicago.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tyke1doe;1791295 said:
Didn't Deion already say Hester was better than he?

I don't know if he said but he should, 'cause he is.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Hester is great. I also think the Chicago return teams as a whole are great. They often open up huge lanes for Hester. A lot of return guys would do very well with the Bears and Hester would do well with a lot of different teams. The two combined together are great.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Hester is a better return man, but comparing numbers doesn't really hold up because Deion wasn't really his team's primary punt returner many years, and after his first few years in the league he never returned kickoffs. He was too valuable as a cornerback.

DTK

Reaction score
Hester has 10 TD's in 27 games. Deion had 10 in like 200 games.

Pretty much ends any debate about who was the better return man.

joseephuss

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1791385 said:
Hester is a better return man, but comparing numbers doesn't really hold up because Deion wasn't really his team's primary punt returner many years, and after his first few years in the league he never returned kickoffs. He was too valuable as a cornerback.

I agree. If he was a full time returner and nothing else Deion may have put up similar numbers. It is a difficult comparison to make, but I give Hester the slight edge. That edge is growing with each TD.