Devon Hester better than Deion Sanders as a Return Man?

FCBarca

Reaction score
Apples and Oranges, really...Had Deion ever really focused on being a return man, then I could see maybe Deion having more impressive records...But, he was primarily a DB who also returned.

That being said, no one is in Hester's class...The thing I like about him is like someone else mentioned, he hits the hole and doesn't always hesitate and wait for something to develop...He initiates and that puts a lot of pressure on the coverage unit to fill the gaps and be sound in their tackling...And he's got some joystick in him like Dante Hall.

And the stats support it, Hester is on pace to shatter all the records in a fraction of the time, no less :bow:

Yet, he was curiously absent from the Cowboys game, eh? :laugh2:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's a bit more to it that hasn't been mentioned yet. Hester has fumbled/muffed something like 15 kicks/punts in his 2 seasons, which is a really high number. I have no idea what Deion's numbers were like in that category, but I sure don't remember him muffing kicks. Hester's great, obviously, but he really needs to work on that.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
One can argue Hester being a better return man but I would still take PRIME TIME on Sundays.

A lockdown corner plus being a gimmick play WR along with return skills is too good. The defense he brought alone is better than an explosive return man IMO. Teams need to play keep away from this guy, the Bears offense is not good enough to take advantage of any field position you give them, until then keep it away!

Duane

Reaction score
I'll mention something else.

Hester isn't going against special teams units that are as good as when Deion played. Think about those teams in the 90s where you could name special teams players that weren't returners. Bates, Gant, Vanderbeek, etc... Teams had the luxury of keeping players just to play special teams.

IndianaCowboyFan

The Bullet
Reaction score
Combined Kick Returns, Most Touchdowns, Career, 13, Brian Mitchell, 1990-2003

Hester has what 10 in 26 games? Maybe able to claim he is the most exciting player in the game today. What will his next contract be worth? What would you pay him if you were an owner?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
MagicMan;1791323 said:
Exactly, Hester is a stud in PR and KR, but does not carry over to WR or even RB---much less at CB. He is strictly a ST player---nothing wrong with that.

Deion was a great shutdown CB, who also happened to be very good at PR.

PR and KR is an art, Hester has mastered it---I like the Cleveland kid too, Josh Cribbs. Wish the Cowboys would one day draft someone like this to just play ST......it has become an important part of the game. You would think that teams would just kick it away or out of bounds, but somehow you can't resist to challenge your own special teams and sooner or later, Hester will burn you. The 'Boys played Hester incredibly well last time in Chicago.

you mean you wish that the Cowboys would successfully draft someone like a Hester or Cribbs

remember that Ireland thought Skyler Green was his Dante Hall

next on the hopeful list is Stanback

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
smarta5150;1791478 said:
One can argue Hester being a better return man but I would still take PRIME TIME on Sundays.

A lockdown corner plus being a gimmick play WR along with return skills is too good. The defense he brought alone is better than an explosive return man IMO. Teams need to play keep away from this guy, the Bears offense is not good enough to take advantage of any field position you give them, until then keep it away!

I don't know about that, the Bears won alot of games in great part to the TDs Hester produced

plus the ones their D produced, and them shutting alot of Os down

Reaction score
Ireland was severely wrong about Green, makes you wonder... WE NEED A GUY LIKE HESTER, maybe Stanback can be that guy but you have to be born with that kind of ability.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1791793 said:
I don't know about that, the Bears won alot of games in great part to the TDs Hester produced

plus the ones their D produced

Maybe if they had an AVERAGE offense Hester wouldn't have to carry the team.

A team shouldn't have to rely on an EXCELLENT and BEYOND special teams.

If a special teams unit gives their offense average field position and their defense the same then that is a win in 1/3 of the play.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
smarta5150;1791799 said:
Maybe if they had an AVERAGE offense Hester wouldn't have to carry the team.

fair enough, just pointing out that most of HEster's TDs have gone a long ways to winning games for the Bears

smarta5150 said:
A team shouldn't have to rely on an EXCELLENT and BEYOND special teams.

If a special teams unit gives their offense average field position and their defense the same then that is a win in 1/3 of the play.

just imagine a complete team w/ a good O and D, plus the return capabilities that the Bears possess, that would be something

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1791806 said:
fair enough, just pointing out that most of HEster's TDs have gone a long ways to winning games for the Bears

just imagine a complete team w/ a good O and D, plus the return capabilities that the Bears possess, that would be something

Hester would be even more dangerous (if thats possible) on a team like the Patriots or Cowboys.

You can't afford to give us a short field so you would HAVE to kick to Hester.

Would be a big something

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1791189 said:
Screamin A Smith is discussing this now on his radio show.

Discuss?

Hester is with no doubt the best return man I've ever watched. Best player? No! Deion was a great corner and return man. They aren't comparable in the total aspect of the game.

links18

Reaction score
Duane;1791482 said:
I'll mention something else.

Hester isn't going against special teams units that are as good as when Deion played. Think about those teams in the 90s where you could name special teams players that weren't returners. Bates, Gant, Vanderbeek, etc... Teams had the luxury of keeping players just to play special teams.

Maybe it also has something to do with the fact that special teams coverage units aren't as good as they have been in the past. A lot of kicks getting returned for TDs right now in the league it seems. Can anyone verify this stat wise?

I think for a part of Deion's time in the league, teams were kicking off from the 35 yard line instead of the 30, not sure if that has anything to do with it though.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
links18;1791987 said:
Maybe it also has something to do with the fact that special teams coverage units aren't as good as they have been in the past. A lot of kicks getting returned for TDs right now in the league it seems. Can anyone verify this stat wise?

There have been a lot of ST Touch Downs.

Verified.

:D

I am also curious though... there have been a ton this year.