Dewayne Robertson and the 3-4?

montgod

Reaction score
I saw the following on CNNSI Rumors:

The Jets aren't limited by the value of their picks if they decide to trade up. They also have several players -- wide receiver Justin McCareins, linebacker Eric Barton and possibly defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson -- who could be dealt this weekend.

Since I am ignorant to who would do well in the 3-4 defensive alignment, would Dewayne Robertson be a good fit if Dallas were to trade for him? I believe that the Jets were moving away from the 3-4 to the 4-3 which is why they didn't want Robertson anymore. I could be wrong though:confused:

Shuttemdown41

Reaction score
montgod;1467702 said:

The Jets aren't limited by the value of their picks if they decide to trade up. They also have several players -- wide receiver Justin McCareins, linebacker Eric Barton and possibly defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson -- who could be dealt this weekend.

Since I am ignorant to who would do well in the 3-4 defensive alignment, would Dewayne Robertson be a good fit if Dallas were to trade for him? I believe that the Jets were moving away from the 3-4 to the 4-3 which is why they didn't want Robertson anymore. I could be wrong though:confused:

It's actually just the opposite montgod, it's because of their commitment to the 3-4 that they're willing to part with Robertson. He's not in the mold of a 3-4 nose-tackle but more in the vein of a 4-3 three technique like Tommy Harris or Warren Sapp.

montgod

Reaction score
Gotcha... well then he wouldn't be a viable option then. Oh well...

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I thought I have read that Robertson has degenerative knees.

glassjaw

Reaction score
Well, Parcells certainly thought so. In the 2003 draft Parcells had targeted Robertson as the player he wanted. He went 4th overall to the Jets of coursr and we "settled" for T-new.

6340.jpg
Dewayne Robertson #63 | Defensive tackle | New York Jets Height: 6-1 Weight: 317
Born: Oct 16, 1981 - Memphis, TN
College: Kentucky
Draft: 2003 - 1st round (4th pick) by the New York Jets

2006 stats

62 tackles 2.5 sacks 1 FFum

Career

201 tackles, 10.5 sacks 3 FFum.

If we could get a guy like this, move back a couple spots and still get the player we want why not take a shot. He hasn't had a lot of production, but nose tackles are there to stack everything up and let the LBs do their job anyway.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Gotta wonder why the Jets don't want him?

glassjaw

Reaction score
He is probably in the last year of his contract and the Jets want to get something for him rather than lose him in free agency.

RW31

Reaction score
dmq;1467806 said:
Gotta wonder why the Jets don't want him?
he will be a free agent next year plus he is not exactly a great 3-4 DT. hes a great 4-3 pass rusher though

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
montgod;1467702 said:

BP wanted Robertson in the draft very bad a few yrs ago.......

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Did the Jets not play the 3-4 last year ? I can't say that I watched a single Jets game , but I do know that Robertson had a more productive season stats wise than our own Jason Ferguson . While stats don't tell all about a NT , I would seriously consider moving back 3 spots for a 6-1" 317lbs. NT who had 35 tackles and 2.5 sacks last year . I can't imagine the Jets would be that stupid , but it seems as if that would fix the NT depth and put a young guy on the roster .

alancdc

Reaction score
I remember being really surprised that they traded up to get him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dmq;1467799 said:
I thought I have read that Robertson has degenerative knees.

that is a statement that is likely true of every 300+Lb athlete

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
wow, I'm glad the Jets moved up to take Robertson before Parcells had the chance, because the Jets could have an all-world CB and we would be stuck w/ well...a player who is about to be dealt