Dexter Clinkscale

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I met a guy today at work who claimed to be Dexter Clinkscale. Im 22 Born in 86' so he was before my time.

I remember hearing the name, and i know he played for the cowboys, and got caught in a scandal but I can't find a picture of him anywhere.

The guy comes into my work every few months when he is in town and buys pretty decent amount of cowboys stuff. I always make a point of talking to cowboys fans extra long and today he said he was Dexter.

He was telling me about a brother he has named George who plays somewhere and that part is true I checked that out.

I was wondering if anyone has a picture of him so I can see what he looks like to verify it.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Did he hit on you? That would be one way to know...
They say in politics you never want to get caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy. That explains the end of former Cowboys defensive back, Dexter Clinkscale’s, budding political career before it ever really got started. Clinkscale was arrested for having sexual relations and molesting an 18-year-old “boy” in 1998. That put an immediate end to him running for political office in Texas but didn’t prevent him from being named the director of sports for the Reverend Jesse Jackson’s Rainbow/PUSH coalition. (and lecturing Major League Baseball about the IMMORALITY of their hiring practices.)

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I remember that. I want to say it was either Dennis Thurman or Dexter Clinkscale.

Whichever name he said he was he mentioned playing with Dorsett, Too Tall and Danny White, as well as (dennis or dexter) in the secondary.

All I need is a pic of his face, and dennis face. Im not even sure if he is just making it up, but he seemed 100% real about it, he wasn't kidding.

So either he is a good liar or he is who he says he is lol.

No clue. Just thought I'd ask bc I know this forum has a lot of members who could help answer my question.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I need a pic though of his face. judging from a card I saw, Im thinking its Dennis Thurman. But I also see that he is/was a secondary coach. If he isnt working than it'd make sense. ???

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Muhast;2272682 said:
I need a pic though of his face. judging from a card I saw, Im thinking its Dennis Thurman. But I also see that he is/was a secondary coach. If he isnt working than it'd make sense. ???
Dennis Thurman is still coaching for the Ravens. Clinkscale works for the PUSH/Rainbow Coalition as their sports director.

It is hard to see. Orange jumpsuit.

images

scottsp

Reaction score
Yeah, he and Michael Downs made up a pretty salty safety duo back in the early 1980s.

Even then, Dex had a reputation. He had a couple friends on the team who knew, one being Tony Dorsett.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I will look through my old dallascowboyz.com picture archives, I think I have one of Dextor Clinksdale. I think I wrote an article about him a long time ago as well.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Picture:

dexter_clinkscale_1.jpg

Article:

Dextor Clinkscale breaks down the Flex

As 25 year old, I never got the chance to see the Flex defense in all of its glory. When trying to convince fans of other teams of Landry's greatness, I would always argue, "He was a great man, he invented the Flex defense". In truth, I really didn't even know what the Flex defense was.

It was something that I had heard about on the news and from many of Landry's ex players. Recently, I was fortunate to come across a passage by the former Cowboys safety Dextor Clinkscale in the book "God's Coach", by Skip Bayless breaking down the nuances of the Flex defense. While speaking to Skip Bayless, Charlie Waters had this to say about Clinkscale, who was signed in 1980, "Watch this Clinkscale. He's picked up the Flex faster than anyone I've ever seen". Here is what Clinkscale had to say about Landry's Flex defense:

What opponents didn't understand with the Flex was that it was stupidly simple. Growing up as a huge Cowboy fan, I always read how complicated the Flex was, but all it really had was a lot of fancy names and terms. If you just look at the playbook, it was intimidating. It was like taking advanced placement English and having the teacher assign you this 450-page book by some guy named Dickerson or Dickens. You say, "Damn, this big book?" I wasn't well-read (as an honors student at South Carolina State), and neither were most of the players who played the Flex. Most only read their press clippings.

But you always hear Summerall and Madden talk about how intricate the Flex was and how Landry was such a scholar and theologian. You (as a rookie) are thinking, "I cant be looking at a coach. He's not draped in blue and white [team colors]. He looks astute. He's a thinker." Then you try to read his playbook, and these things are just tearing up your mind. You try to figure out little things like the technique on [safety's] end-run force, and it becomes a logic game like on an SAT test. It's not like that.

The Flex is probably the simplest defense in the world because unless you're the middle linebacker, you have only one thing to do. You just have one gap to control. Of the front seven, the middle linebacker is the only one with two gaps. The object is to control every gap. There are only so many gaps an offensive line can create for a ball carrier, so by their initial movements, the center and two guards tell the middle linebacker where to go. They are his keys. The defensive linemen keep the offensive linemen off the middle linebacker so he can make the tackle. The middle linebacker has one gap and one "tango", usually to the weak side of the Flex. He can "tango" weak, meaning an immediate "scrape" by the middle linebacker to get an outside gap.

You see, it was necessary to set two of our four defensive linemen a yard off the line of scrimmage in a frog stance because this allowed them to sit back and see what was going on. They could read the actions of the offensive line, which would tell them which specific area they would control. You didn't control a man, you controlled an area. In the regular 4-3 [four linemen, three linebackers], you tried to control a man, but the Flex took away your natural instincts of pursuit. In effect, you held your ground and waited for the ball to come to you.

In the '60s and '70s this was an absolute brilliant concept. Lee Roy Jordan was a student of the game and very quick and agile at around 200 pounds. Then came Bob Breunig in 1976, who was very smart and had some jets on him so he could get outside. He wasn't big (maybe 220) or strong, but he at least could pull down a ball carrier. When he retired [in 1984] all Landry had was Eugene Lockhart, a poor middle linebacker for the Flex. Eugene doesn't have the speed or agility to get outside, and he isn't a thinker like Breunig and Lee Roy. The Flex might have been more dominant in the '80s if the Cowboys hadn't passed over [Baylor's] Mike Singletary (in the 1981 draft). Gil, as I recall, decided Singletary was too short.

Bayless, Skip. "God's Coach (1990)"

As you can see, Landry contributed greatly to helping defensive coordinators and their on-field soldiers adopt the think first, react later philosophy. As opposed to what defensive football theories in the past were predicated on, "React first, think later".

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Why would anyone go into someplace and claim he was Dexter Clinkscale if he wasn't?

I'm guessing he is shooting you straight.;)

AtlCB

Reaction score
trickblue;2272674 said:
Did he hit on you? That would be one way to know...
They say in politics you never want to get caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy. That explains the end of former Cowboys defensive back, Dexter Clinkscale’s, budding political career before it ever really got started. Clinkscale was arrested for having sexual relations and molesting an 18-year-old “boy” in 1998. That put an immediate end to him running for political office in Texas but didn’t prevent him from being named the director of sports for the Reverend Jesse Jackson’s Rainbow/PUSH coalition. (and lecturing Major League Baseball about the IMMORALITY of their hiring practices.)

:huh:

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Meh. The name "Clinkscale" always reminded me of Hogans Heroes...............I don't kow why.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
lol yea its Dexter!

Ill try and get a pic of him next time he comes in. He just ordered some stuff from another store, he'll be in this week.

Thanks for the help

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Muhast;2272774 said:
lol yea its Dexter!

Ill try and get a pic of him next time he comes in. He just ordered some stuff from another store, he'll be in this week.

Thanks for the help

Just don't let him make a play for your junk. That isn't part of being a Cowboy fan...

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
lol trust me im gonna be wary of that. Im the manager of a sports store that has all type of memorabilia.

David276

Benched
Reaction score
did he really molest some boy that is sick how is he in any coalition or group. absolutely hate and have no respect for anyone that does that dont care how nice he is. was he convicted?