Dez Bryant - A Man With No Position

Kwyn

Reaction score
I know we have several Dez posts and threads but today I’m asking for some patience with a new one because I want to talk about the receiver position and the right end position and what role Dez can actually fill in the 2020 NFL.

For the record, Im a Dez fan. He’s in my sig, I met him irl and he was great, etc etc etc. If the Cowboys want to give Dez a tryout, Im good with it but I think we need to be realistic

Many fans are arguing that Dez can either play the slot WR role or play TE. I think this is simply incorrect and I’ll state why.

First, some physical stats on Dez because they are important.

Dez is 6’2 and 220 lbs.
His 40 time as a rookie was 4.52

Tight End
  • He’s never played tight end
  • He’s extremely undersized for the position. Check out the best tight ends in the league. 6’4-6’6 and 245-260 lbs
  • He was never fast and now he’s probably around 4.6-4.7 range which is only average for a decent tight end. I think 4.6 is a fantasy for him at this point but we won’t know unless he goes on the clock which, no surprise, is not something he’s doing in any of his dozens of “skills” videos. The best tight ends are at 4.6 or better now.
  • He was never a good blocker. He was ok, but that was against DB’s. Linebackers and d-linemen would destroy him and all tight ends, even those who are more of a passing game threat go up against d-linemen and linebackers all day long. Its an inescapable fact of NFL life.
  • Bottom line, Tight Ends are not just slow wide receivers.

Wide Receiver
  • X Receiver (Split-End) Cooper - this is your #1 receiver, lines up wide, on the line, is set at the start of the play and can’t go into motion. Gets jammed by corners, faces the best man to man defender and needs to be fast and somewhat elusive to get out into his route.
  • Z Receiver (Flanker) - Gallup - lines up opposite of the X and slightly off the line of scrimmage. If he lines up on the line, the TE is ineligible. Needs to be fast, cause he’s defended by CB’s, but being off the line isn’t as easily jammed. This is typically the “motion receiver” and you sometimes see them go across the middle or involved in reverses but they also will go deep at times. Typically a lot of speed.
  • Slot Receiver - Cobb - this guy lines up closer to the interior of the line, almost always has a LB lines up across from him looking to hit him and keep him off his route. This guy needs to be quick and elusive or he’ll get caught in the wash and never be able to get open. This was Beasley for us before Cobb
  • 4th receiver - you only see this when a team goes to a “10 personnel” set. This is the “spread” and is something McCarthy used to run in GB and it wasn’t particularly rare for him so it won’t surprise me one bit to see it used here. It’s just a fourth guy who lines up and usually runs a crossing route. Sometimes it’s a TE and not a WR at all
  • Five wide receiver sets are Hail Marys and desperation pass situations. there’s no running back at all.
So, where’s Dez in that? Clearly he can’t be an effective TE and if you’re trying to make him your X, Z or Slot, you’re gonna have a bad time because he’s not fast or elusive enough to play any of them.

He could be a spread receiver and see spot play here and there, but wouldn’t you rather see a young WR talent develop with that roster spot than a 32 year old who hasn’t played for two years after an Achilles tear? A guy whose best plays, in his prime. were jump balls in the end zone and back shoulder fades?

I loved Dez but I just don’t see a good spot for him that couldn’t be filled better by a long list of rookies or young free agents.

Thanks for indulging me.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The idea of Dez playing TE just seems silly to me. Why would anyone think he is capable of stepping onto an NFL roster as a TE? I just don't get it.
And why hasn't anyone else does it? People think once you lose a step as a wide receiver you can just jump straight into tight end. Against guys who have been playing tight end for their whole careers. Its one thing to do it out of college. To do it in your 30's? Yikes.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Maybe MM don't need a TE sometimes. He needs a weapon...Dez is one...when the need him.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Maybe MM don't need a TE sometimes. He needs a weapon...Dez is one...when the need him.
What kind of “weapon” is Dez? What “weaponry” does he bring to the offense?

I’m interested in what you think he can do that almost any other WR cant do at least as well, if not better.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I believe he can play Cobbs positions we cant have both so its either try and retain Cobb of that falls though tryout Dez..if an anquann bolden and other older vets can contribute im betting a motivated Dez can if they make sure they motion him have him run a lot of slants and crossing patterns get him going sideways in space and get it to him on the move and use him on GL for jump balls,.the last few years our Offense hardy ran those when dez was here and Dak had issues throwing them...lmao he still does to a degree his most inaccurate balls are crossers and slants so many are behind to point it slows the EWR and he has to stop to make catch or make a spectacular catch,,

you get accurate passes to dez on those he will be very successful..

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
What kind of “weapon” is Dez? What “weaponry” does he bring to the offense?

I’m interested in what you think he can do that almost any other WR cant do at least as well, if not better.

Play the slot fast...like the Bease did...and he's a strong mutha to bring down.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If, and that’s a huge IF, Dez is healthy, can run, and has his gap head on right, he can definitely get snaps at all WR spots due to breaks, injury, and situations. I would definitely use him in the slot some, especially in the red zone or as a possession receiver. His size would be hard to deal with for most slot corners. He would likely get the bracket treatment by a DB and LB/Safety, which would open more run space and other wideouts.

TE.....Dez is clearly not an actual TE, but there are plenty of those around. Engram in NY is a terrible blocker, but that’s not what they ask him to do. Dez will never be a blocking TE, but you align him as a TE, slightly split, or in the backfield like an H-back, and he could be a weapon that changes the way a defense aligns and substitutes when he is in the game.

However, none of that means squat unless the guy is healthy, retains some of his athleticism, signs for a realistic amount, and shows he knows who he is today, not 4 years ago.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Modern offensive football is about spreading out defenses and winning match-up's. If you sign Dez, he's most likely drawing the other team's 3rd best defender. Much like a Travis Kelce or George Kittle (I'm not suggesting Dez is a tight end, just for sake of matching up), he's too athletic for linebackers and he's too powerful for slot corners.

If I was McCarthy and Moore, I'd use him the way the 49ers use Deebo Samuel (I realize he's not as fast) and Jalen Hurd, and try to get him the ball on crossing routes and tunnel screens. I think people forget how hard Dez runs with the ball in hand.

SSoup

Reaction score
  • Slot Receiver - Cobb - this guy lines up closer to the interior of the line, almost always has a LB lines up across from him looking to hit him and keep him off his route. This guy needs to be quick and elusive or he’ll get caught in the wash and never be able to get open. This was Beasley for us before Cobb
Comparing Cobb as a slot receiver to Beasley as a slot receiver is interesting because it illuminates something people don't think about very often.

Beasley was basically a receiving TE in a tiny body when you look at his actual statistical production. Beasley averaged single-digit yards per catch in half his seasons in Dallas. And barely eked out 10 or, if he was having a real banner year, 11. This is real TE territory.

Cobb on the other hand averaged 15 yards per catch last year. He was more of a weapon.

And you know what? Cobb's 41 1st downs last year are still in the ballpark with most of Beasley's seasons purely as a chains-mover. What I'm saying is we didn't pay a penalty for sacrificing having a slot receiver whose whole gimmick is shorter routes theoretically meant to make him a whiz at moving the chains.

So, since you can still move the chains without conceding a WR spot to a purely possession type in the name of moving the chains, I'd rather go with the guy who is more of a weapon.