Oklahoma State Year 3
3 games, 17 receptions, 323 yards, 4 touchdowns

Dallas Year 1

12 games, 45 receptions, 561 yards, 6 touchdowns

Dallas Year 2
8 games, 32 receptions, 517 yards, 5 touchdowns

Extrapolated over the rest of the season
15 games, 60 receptions, 969 yards, 9 touchdowns

Now I think he will completely crush those numbers. Miles being out for a few more weeks, and his natural development and comfort with Romo and our offense.

That said based on these numbers compared to last years rankings it would place him at:

~40th in receptions
19th in yards (currently 26th in yards per game)
tied for 14th in touchdowns (currently tied for 13th)

So you're looking at a top 20 receiver in the NFL in his second year, first year starting.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him get more targets. I think the naysayers have never been more wrong about a player.

He currently only has 53 targets on the year.

New York (JETS) - 8 targets
San Fransisco - OUT
Washington - 4 targets
Detroit - 5 targets
New England - 8 targets
St. Louis - 8 targets
Philadelphia - 5 targets
Seattle - 9 targets
Buffalo - 6 targets

He was 100% healthy from the Patriots game and forward. I think they've generally tried to get him about 8 targets per game. That being said clearly the last three weeks it hasn't always called for it (Buffalo), or we weren't really able to do what we wanted (eagles game).

For wide receivers the pinnacle for targets starts with Wes Welker.

Wes Welker - 100 targets - 9 games
Calvin Johnson - 93 targets - 9 games
Brandon Marshall - 88 targets - 9 games
Roddy White - 86 targets - 9 games
Reggie Wayne - 83 targets - 10 games
Larry Fitzgerald - 82 targets - 9 games
Steve Smith (carolina) - 81 targets - 9 games
Anquan Boldin - 81 targets - 9 games
Pierre Garcon - 81 targets - 10 games

So the top 10 targeted wide receivers have been targeted about 9-11 times per game.

Dez Bryant has been targeted 6 times per game.

As I said before, I think obviously his targets will increase and become more steady. Since New England he has at least 8 targets in every game except 2, where things clearly weren't the norm. Being WR1 clearly makes him a larger part of the game plan than being WR2, and Robinson stepping into WR2 really diminishes the role of WR3 completely.

I think the other thing to remember about Dez Bryant compared to a lot of these other receivers is that they some don't really have many weapons on their teams. A Miles Austin, Jason Witten, DeMarco Murray, Felix Jones, Laurent Robinson... If we had Pettigrew on our team he would probably get as many catches as Martellus Bennett...

Removing Kitna's kneel downs we have had 564 offensive snaps with 549 executed plays (i.e. not a sack).

Breaking down those 549 plays

Murray - 115 (20.9%)
Jones - 84 (15.3%)
Witten - 78 (14.2%)
Bryant - 54 (9.8%)
Austin - 46 (8.3%)
Choice - 42 (7.6%)
Robinson - 36 (6.5%)
Tanner - 24 (4.3%)
Ogletree - 20 (3.6%)
Romo - 12 (2.1%)
Bennett - 11 (2%)
Holley - 4 (0.07%)
Fiammetta - 3 (0.05%)

As you can see 48.1% of our offense is funneled through our running backs. Only 28.2% is funneled through our wide receivers. 16.2% coming from our tight end group.

If you want to compare that to green bay's WRs really quickly let me tell you that they have 474 plays (attempts + runs, including kneel downs).

They're receivers account for at least 35.8% of their offense. 7.6% more than us.

* Not updated by tonights game

Again though, I think that changes a lot based on us getting healthy, and Romo having time, and whether or not Romo needs to throw 30+ times per game, because we certainly have a better defense than Green Bay, and from the looks of it certainly better running backs.

I don't know how many games where Austin, Bryant, and Robinson have been in all together. Maybe the New England, St. Louis game, philly, and then part of the seahawks game. Philly game doesn't count, and then Romo wasn't healthy for the Pats game or the Philly game, we really didnt even have to throw against St. Louis...

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Another thing I would like to then look at is how the players have done with their percentage of our offense.

We have 3734 total offensive yards

Murray - 778 (20.8%)
Jones - 358 (9.5%)
Witten - 585 (15.6%)
Bryant - 522 (13.9%)
Austin - 401 (10.7%)
Choice - 89 (2.3%)
Robinson - 441 (11.8%)
Tanner - 95 (2.5%)
Ogletree - 126 (3.3%)
Romo - 47 (1.2%)
Bennett - 49 (1.3%)
Phillips (Somehow i forgot Phillips in my original post 1.6%) - 42 (1.1%)
Holley - 121 (3.2%)
Fiammetta - 15 (0.4%)

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Murray is right at average
Felix is well below average
Witten is slightly above average
Bryant is well above average
Austin is somewhat above average
Choice was well below average
Robinson is almost double his average
Tanner is slightly below average
Ogletree is slightly below average
Romo is slightly below average
Bennett is slightly above average
Phillips is slightly below average
Holley is murdering his average
Fiammetta is actually above average

I put Ogletree in bold because clearly a receiver shouldn't be below average here. It's a passing league, and passing the ball gets more yards per attempt than running. Essentially Ogletree sucks.

I think based somewhat on these results you really want to get Bryant and Austin a lot more involved in the game. Clearly Robinson is balling for us.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Thanks! It's good to see the statistical breakdowns so far. Now I just need more coffee to consider them properly.... :)