Dez Bryant and Randy Moss? No comparison coach says

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dez Bryant and Randy Moss? No comparison coach says

Ray Sherman squirms a bit when asked if Dez Bryant is the next Randy Moss.

Why?

Because he's not quite sure what you're implying.

"He's got some Moss-type skills as far as the way he catches the football and being a guy who can stretch the field," the Dallas Cowboys' receivers coach said of Bryant, the team's No. 1 draft pick.

And what about the character comparisons that caused both of them to tumble on draft day?

"There are no similarities there," Sherman said. "Dez's character is great."

Moss fell to the 21st pick in 1998, a decent year in which a kid named Peyton went No. 1 overall while Charles Woodson and Fred Taylor also went in the top 10. The Cowboys, batting eighth that year, took Greg Ellis, who became a Pro Bowl linebacker but certainly not Randy Moss.

Moss caught 17 touchdown passes his rookie season and stands at 926 catches, 14,465 yards and 148 touchdowns heading into the 13th season of a Hall of Fame career. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has been kicking himself every day for 12 years but is counting on Bryant to right the wrong once his high right ankle sprain heals. Injured 11 days ago, Bryant is expected to return in time for the Sept. 12 opener at Washington.

Bryant, who went to Oklahoma State, fell to No. 24 before Jones traded up to nab him. The similarities to Moss' free fall were obvious, but unfair, Sherman says.

By most accounts, Bryant has two faults that hurt him on draft day: A tendency of being tardy, and being suspended for most of last season after lying to NCAA investigators about his relationship with former Cowboys cornerback Deion Sanders. Moss, on the other hand, came with baggage that included: A, losing his scholarship to Notre Dame after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor battery charge after a fight in high school; and B, getting booted from Florida State after testing positive for marijuana.

"When Dez began to slide, he became a steal for us," Sherman said. "He's a top-10 pick for sure."

Sherman said he hasn't seen anything off the field to change his mind. Dez's clock apparently is working. And he reported to camp on time by becoming the first No. 1 pick to sign, an unusual move for someone picked in the lower half of the first round.

"That was a huge plus for us," Sherman said. "It told me a lot about the young man. He's been outstanding. He was outstanding when we brought him in here to interview him. He was outstanding when we drafted him. He's been outstanding. His attitude has been great. He's a tremendous young man."

Like Moss, Bryant comes with a controversy magnet. Before he was injured a little over a week ago, Bryant caused a national debate on an NFL rite of passage for rookies that was otherwise overlooked to that point. Bryant refused to carry veteran Roy Williams' helmet and shoulder pads, saying, "I'm here to help try to win a championship, not carry someone's pads."

"That whole thing was no big deal," Sherman said. "It was blown way out of proportion by the media. In fact, I'll tell you how big of a deal it was. They sat in the meeting room together and both laughed about the whole thing. That tells you what that was."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=223&articleid=20100811_223_B3_CUTLIN801316

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
You know, I have kind of been waiting to hear what Ray Sherman felt about how he compared to Moss.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Hostile;3492748 said:
You know, I have kind of been waiting to hear what Ray Sherman felt about how he compared to Moss.

I spoke with two other coaches and they just raved about the talent of DEZ!

They were just as excited as I am about his talent level....which is off the charts.

He is the most talented WR ever with a star on the helmet.......only time will tell if his Talent can Produce the desired results.:)

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;3492757 said:
I spoke with two other coaches and they just raved about the talented of DEZ!

They were just as excited as I am about his talent level....which is off the charts.

He is the most talented WR ever with a star on the helmet......
.only time will tell if his Talent can Produce the desired results.:)

Not even close

Pearson, Irvin, Owens off the top of my head. Im sure there are more.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Moss was taller, faster, and had amazing body control for someone moving as fast as he could, but I don't know that I've ever seen a player look more natural and comfortable running a route and making a tough catch than Bryant does.

If Bryant doesn't have injury issues or personal issues worse than people rushing to his defense put forth, there's no reason he won't be a superstar, and soon. The only thing that likely keeps him out of the starting lineup asap is Wade's affection for underacheiving veterans.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3492761 said:
Not even close

Pearson, Irvin, Owens off the top of my head. Im sure there are more.

These players produced with the talent they had at the time--yes

However, none of them had what Dez has.....just be patient and you are going to see what I mean very soon.:cool:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Hostile;3492748 said:
Me too.
He provided very little insight to how they compare as football players though. Almost all was related to off-field stuff.

Still, saying he has some Moss-type skills is certainly better than saying he doesn't have any. But then again, Moss in his prime may have been the most dominate WR in NFL history....so any positive comp is a good one. "Some" could mean 50% as good or it could mean more--who knows.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bryant reminds me of Larry Fitzgerald the way he goes after the football. Great hands too.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just once, I would like to read or hear how the Eagles, Falcons, Jaguars, Lions, Oilers, Packers, Panthers, Patriots, Ravens and Seahawks all passed over Randy Moss after we took Greg Ellis off the board. Heck. The Bengals said ‘No Moss’ twice.

OR! OR! How the hindsighters leave out the Ryan Leaf/Andre Wadsworth/Curtis Enis top-10 ‘super’ picks that draft. Yep. If. That would be nice for once.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
DallasEast;3492819 said:
Just once, I would like to read or hear how the Eagles, Falcons, Jaguars, Lions, Oilers, Packers, Panthers, Patriots, Ravens and Seahawks all passed over Randy Moss after we took Greg Ellis off the board. Heck. The Bengals said ‘No Moss’ twice.

OR! OR! How the hindsighters leave out the Ryan Leaf/Andre Wadsworth/Curtis Enis top-10 ‘super’ picks that draft. Yep. If. That would be nice for once.

I think its b/c Jerry himself said he almost pulled the trigger.

Its like when Will Smith passed over The Matrix for Wild Wild West

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
DallasEast;3492819 said:

What are you talking about?
All these years I though we past up on him 12 times in the 1st rd!

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3492840 said:

I never knew that! I'd bet anything that was a financial decision. Wild Wild West probably had a bigger budget than the Matrix. Especially for the talent.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MarionBarberThe4th;3492840 said:

I think that you're giving Jerry Jones way too much credit.

Will as Neo, huh? I guess the Matrix Trilogy had to live with only having Captain Niobi instead. ;) :)

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
sonnyboy;3492850 said:
I never knew that! I'd bet anything that was a financial decision. Wild Wild West probably had a bigger budget than the Matrix. Especially for the talent.

Giant robot spiders aint cheap

DallasEast;3492853 said:
I think that you're giving Jerry Jones way too much credit.

Will as Neo, huh? I guess the Matrix Trilogy had to live with only having Captain Niobi instead. ;) :)

If it were just a matter of roster numbers or our scouts didnt like the fit or something it wouldnt still be a big deal. But when its known he went back and forth its a very interesting "woulda coulda" for the media.

You could have had teh Moss!! Arent you kicking yourself?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Guy Dez reminds me of is the same guy who wore 88 in the 90's.

He does a great job of using his body, great hands the ability to locate the ball and adjust to it, very good ability to go up and snag the ball the high ball. Very good after the catch.

Not saying he will have the same career as Mike but would not be surprised if he did.