Dez Bryant at practice... Padded glove

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
This will sound weird, but from a technique standpoint, since he usually plays on the left side of the formation, can he not perhaps adjust his catch grip slightly so that the left hand takes on more of the force?

I know I jammed the crap out of my right thumb playing football and played fine the rest of the day, I just caught the ball in a way that favoured my left hand. Not ideal and I'm not an NFL paid WR, but just a thought.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
It doesn't look heavily wrapped to me. It looks like a padded glove.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Crown Royal;4896058 said:
This will sound weird, but from a technique standpoint, since he usually plays on the left side of the formation, can he not perhaps adjust his catch grip slightly so that the left hand takes on more of the force?

I know I jammed the crap out of my right thumb playing football and played fine the rest of the day, I just caught the ball in a way that favoured my left hand. Not ideal and I'm not an NFL paid WR, but just a thought.

Troy Aikman just called people like you silly on Mike and Mike. Not saying that you are but he found this idea silly. He said that it makes no sense. It doesn't matter where you line up you will always catch the ball the same.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4896062 said:
Troy Aikman just called people like you silly on Mike and Mike. Not saying that you are but he found this idea silly. He said that it makes no sense. It doesn't matter where you line up you will always catch the ball the same.

Yeah. That just plain isn't true. You may not catch it as effectively, but hand positioning CAN be coached, changed, etc. I provided an anecdote and while it was an example of my own saturday sand-lot football experience, I still caught balls.

FiveRings

Reaction score
Why don't we just get someone to deflate the balls like that USC student to make them easier to throw and catch :laugh2: :laugh2:

Put some of those walking wounded guys to work for once lol

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Crown Royal;4896065 said:
Yeah. That just plain isn't true. You may not catch it as effectively, but hand positioning CAN be coached, changed, etc. I provided an anecdote and while it was an example of my own saturday sand-lot football experience, I still caught balls.

the problem is that you can't change catching fundamentals in a few days. Most receivers are taught to catch the ball by extending their arms and basically making an upside down diamond between both hands. Thumbs touch and pointer fingers touch. Erasing that from your memory and doing something new within a few days without practice doesn't seem like such a good idea.

1fisher

Reaction score
AdamJT13;4896061 said:

That's exactly what I thought. I was thinking a Sean Lee-like club or something.

:laugh2:

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
It doesn't look heavily wrapped at all. If none of this were reported, i dont think we could tell the difference based on the appearance. I almost wish this wasn't reported so the hand wouldn't be a target for opposing defenses.

Reaction score
I have to expect PIT playing press coverage on Dez because of the perceived inability to fend it off and get into his routes. This may work out to be a good thing

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
JohnsKey19;4896125 said:
It doesn't look heavily wrapped at all. If none of this were reported, i dont think we could tell the difference based on the appearance. I almost wish this wasn't reported so the hand wouldn't be a target for opposing defenses.

I think you have to report all injuries daily.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
sunbum;4896133 said:
I have to expect PIT playing press coverage on Dez because of the perceived inability to fend it off and get into his routes. This may work out to be a good thing

It's actually the thing that most concerns me -- catching the ball is going to be easy enough, but the hand to hand combat off the line could be troublesome. I can't imagine trying to fight off press coverage with a broken index finger.

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4896076 said:
the problem is that you can't change catching fundamentals in a few days. Most receivers are taught to catch the ball by extending their arms and basically making an upside down diamond between both hands. Thumbs touch and pointer fingers touch. Erasing that from your memory and doing something new within a few days without practice doesn't seem like such a good idea.

You mean like he did on that two point conversion vs Baltimore.... Oh, wait...:p:

I broke a bone in my right hand (strong hand) playing an indoor flag football game, kept playing and catching passes. The biggest thing in my opinion is going to be early on... He HAS to get the ball very early to get hit, get his adrenaline going and realize what, if any, the pain will be... Get him a quick screen pass or something that let's him get his feet wet first and see what comes of it.

Reaction score
After watching a lot of Dez highlights it appears that he greatly prefers holding the ball with his left hand, and we all know how he slings that thing around, wide of his body. This injury could be a ball safety issue as well,,,,

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AdamJT13;4896061 said:
I just went with what I thought I saw on twitter... *shrug*

Doomsday101

Reaction score
EGG;4896147 said:
After watching a lot of Dez highlights it appears that he greatly prefers holding the ball with his left hand, and we all know how he slings that thing around, wide of his body. This injury could be a ball safety issue as well,,,,

Injury could also cause him to be more aware of ball security because he is dealing with an injury