Dez Bryant cannot beat double coverage

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think your overestimating people's intelligence. They want Tony to throw into double coverage. But then if the play doesn't bring a positive result they want to complain that Tony threw into double coverage.
Quoted for truth. Gospel. Fact not opinion. He ain't lying folks.

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
Maybe it's Tony refusing to throw into double coverage, I wondered why he doesn't throw it and let Dez fight for it. I see CJ, Julio and others get the opportunity but not Dez

Because if Dez doesn't come down with it, Tony would get buried for it. You KNOW that's what the narrative would be.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
So wait, is it Dez that can't beat double coverage or Romo that immediately looks away? Chicken or the egg scenario?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Just to point out the obvious, the op did not say anywhere that ogletree is a better wr or could beat double teams better then dez Bryant. You trolls added that for him. Lol @ posters trolling the op. Typical cowboys zone. Read his post, not his name.

So... you think you're a Super Cowboy, huh?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Dez had a bad game against Peterson and AZ. Outside of that teams couldn't keep him out of games. He used to be able to gameplanned out but Linehan did an excellent job getting him the ball this past year.

I do like taking a highlight reel and then pretending like it is exhaustive so that you can back door in your negation. He didn't beat double coverage in this arbitrary youtube! That was a nice touch.

JDSmith

Reaction score
It is Romo's refusal to throw into double coverage that's keeping his numbers down and preventing this offense from scoring. Now that the OP has brought to my attention the way we blatantly look for the single coverage match ups I'm absolutely furious. I demand that Romo throw to Dez even if there are 4 guys covering him, because I'm sure that would fix all of our offensive woes and get Romo over the hump of being just another mediocre QB.

xvendettax914

Reaction score
Dez had a bad game against Peterson and AZ. Outside of that teams couldn't keep him out of games. He used to be able to gameplanned out but Linehan did an excellent job getting him the ball this past year.

I do like taking a highlight reel and then pretending like it is exhaustive so that you can back door in your negation. He didn't beat double coverage in this arbitrary youtube! That was a nice touch.

Yeah it certainly wasnt a good game for him by any means, but the guy under center doing his best Tebow impression didnt help.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
That is one thing I miss about TO. He had a knack for making double teams look silly at times.

Of coarse like others have stated, Romo has enough options now that he doesnt have to force the ball to any of them.

True, until teams realized he couldn't beat the press anymore. Then the easiest way to defend him was press man with safety help. It's why our offense was constipated after the 2nd eagles game in 07 through his final game with us.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Some quick points:

1. If you're watching broadcast footage, you're not seeing the coverages-- just because 2 defenders aren't in the frame when the catch is made, does not mean there wasn't double coverage. He beats double coverage on the 2nd TD here.

2. Dez was very easy to double as he ran the most 9 routes last year. Why? Because it opens things up for the offense when Dez takes two defenders out of the play.

3. Jordy Nelson isn't often doubled and there aren't 5 receivers better than Dez.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Dez Bryant and Tony Romo took advantage of the elite running game last year and torched single coverage. Just go back and watch this video:

Tony Romo is the master at finding the single coverage, and when he sees double coverage he instantly goes to his second read and makes Dez his 3rd or 4th read. So what you see in this video is alot of single coverage, fade/back shoulder in end zone, a couple of defensive breakdowns, and NO TD's against double coverage. Besides a play against Chicago I can't even remember one play last year where he beat double coverage . I just can't help to think how much greater Dez would appear if he had someone like Matt Stafford or '07 Romo throwing him the ball.

Even with that being said Dez didn't do ANYTHING in the playoffs. He has to get better at his route running if he wants to take that next step to be in the category of Megatron, Antonio Brown, and Jordy Nelson. If not, I still think he's a top 5-10 WR but to put him as the 1st or 2nd best WR is ridiculous at this point.

With the running game most likely taking a step back this year, Romo has to put up a few more shots a game so we can see what Dez Bryant is made of.

I've known many a good fishermen and you are not one of them.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yeah it certainly wasnt a good game for him by any means, but the guy under center doing his best Tebow impression didnt help.

The OL performed poorly as well blocking Campbell and co. Defense got exposed. An all around bad game.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Damn. I guess we should have hung on to Ogletree instead, right?

Yep.

And Crayton and TO, too.

He does have a lot of double coverage to deal with, no doubt.

But that is also why the running game succeeds, too.

When CBs, LBs and safeties are all mixing coverages on Dez..

that leaves less bodies to stop Williams, Witten and Escobar.

Or to fill gaps at the LOS.

We all know this. But your point has some merit.

I dont know if it's coverages, play selection or just the defense being determined to stop Dez and hope others won't burn them or what.

But I think Dez is already pulling a disproportionate amount of the offense and Linehan has to do less with Dez maybe more to increase his production with that coverage.

I really don't know.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
The OL performed poorly as well blocking Campbell and co. Defense got exposed. An all around bad game.

That's one thing that gets lost. IIRC, we were without both Free and Leary that game, and Martin was dealing with an ankle injury.

Couple that with Weeden's atrocious play, and the fact that they let patrick Peterson to mug Dez down the field, it's easy to see why Dez didn't put up numbers.

Peterson can't cover a Dez. He can stay with him, but he lacks the tenacity/physicality to actually contest Dez.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Jordy Nelson and Antonio Brown is better than Dez ??

I personally think Dez is a better play than Antonio Brown, however, I'd also says Antonio Brown's play and stats speak for themselves.

2014: 129 receptions, 1698 yards, 13 TDs
2013: 110 receptions, 1499 yards, 8 TDs

Those are awesome numbers. I've watched plenty of Steelers games and teams are doing all sorts of things to slow the guy down, however, his shiftness, route-running, speed, and surprising strength for a 185 lb WR make him an incredible weapon.

If Brown puts up another 110+ catch, 1500-1600 yard season, at what point do people start to say "production trumps all"?

Aven8

Reaction score
Why throw into double coverage if you don't have to?? We have Witt, Twill, Beas, and the TBD rb in the flat to make up for that.