Dez Bryant cleared to play vs. Miami

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Rookie Dez Bryant (ankle) has been cleared to play in Thursday's preseason finale against Miami.

The Cowboys are seriously considering playing the first-team offense, but they're still not sure about sending Bryant out there. "I don't know," owner Jerry Jones said. "He'll be able to play. He'll be ready to go. It's a question of is it worth some of the risk. If we end up playing our regulars, then that might make a difference." Aug. 29 - 12:30 am et

Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

SDCowboy

Reaction score
The 1st team O needs to play. Romo's ready to rock but he needs time with Dez in an actual game. The rest of the offense just needs the practice.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
SDCowboy85;3519844 said:
The 1st team O needs to play. Romo's ready to rock but he needs time with Dez in an actual game. The rest of the offense just needs the practice.

Pretty much agree. I would like to see them play the majority of the game. Start game planning too. :)

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've got mixed emotions. I'm anxious to see him on the field, but I'm scared to see him out there too soon. But like one reporter said, we can't baby him.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
it's a dumb move to play Bryant against Miami in a nothing game with a bunch of second and third stringers in there. You don't mess around rushing a player back from a high ankle sprain, one stumble or slip on a cut and he tweaks the high ankle sprain and then he's out until October. Give him one more week of rest and get him ready for Washington on kickoffs and punt returns

Ashwynn

Reaction score
The Quest for Six;3519848 said:
it's a dumb move to play Bryant against Miami in a nothing game with a bunch of second and third stringers in there. You don't mess around rushing a player back from a high ankle sprain, one stumble or slip on a cut and he tweaks the high ankle sprain and then he's out until October. Give him one more week of rest and get him ready for Washington on kickoffs and punt returns

I see your point, but I think the ankles healed. Dez has been taken care of it and has been anxious to go for a week or more. But the boys have been extra careful with him.

No knowledge first hand, but I dont think theres a question about it anymore. Drs cleared him, hes been saying hes ready to go for awhile. I think its time to take the ferrari out for a spin around the block, before unleashing him against the Commanders. Get a little "game played" confidence in Dez and man, its on.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
garrett said in the locker room last night that he wants to make them play and straighten some stuff out.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
theebs;3519866 said:
garrett said in the locker room last night that he wants to make them play and straighten some stuff out.

good. they need a little more seasoning.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
theebs;3519866 said:

That's probably the smartest thing I have heard in the last 24 hours coming from Dallas.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I just hope they have dez out there with the fist team though.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I still wouldn't do it unless you think it's important for him to go through the routine of putting the pads on, the pregame warmup, getting ready for the actual game, taking a hit or two, etc... The entire routine.

I think I'd get that ankle another 10 days rest, though. We're going to need him this year, and if he has any setback it could be disastrous.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3519903 said:
I still wouldn't do it unless you think it's important for him to go through the routine of putting the pads on, the pregame warmup, getting ready for the actual game, taking a hit or two, etc... The entire routine.

I think I'd get that ankle another 10 days rest, though. We're going to need him this year, and if he has any setback it could be disastrous.
Since it doesn't appear we'll be able to do anything with this line, I'm going to have to agree. We need Dez this year.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3519903 said:

I think it would be worth it. You want him to get his jitters out before the regular season.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
We went 11-5 without him last year, He's nothing but a luxury. Stop babying him and get him some reps. Dont just throw him out there week 1. He hasnt played in a real game in over a year.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
theebs;3519866 said:
He said the offensive starters might need to play some because it's important to get "that good feeling." Who knows? Maybe they'll actually do something to feel good about in the limited playing time they're going to get against Miami.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
I don't look at this as a knee jerk/ over reaction to last lasts game but......

We need to put in a full half of football with the starters.

What do most teams do with the starters in the last game?

Your most accomplished teams may not play them at all.

I would think most teams play the starters for one or two series.

And perhaps your complete reclamation projects go with the starters for perhaps a half or more.

Our #1's haven't earned the right to skip this scrimmage. We need to get in there and put in some good work.
If it costs a us few bumps and bruises, even a more serious injury to someone......so be it. We need the work.

Woods

Reaction score
As long as the trainers have given clearance, I'd definitely let Dez play a quarter or so (esp with the 1st team offense).

Dez hasn't played in a real game in quite some time. He needs to get on the field, get hit, run the correct routes, get his timing down, etc.

windjc

Reaction score
percyhoward;3520132 said:
He said the offensive starters might need to play some because it's important to get "that good feeling." Who knows? Maybe they'll actually do something to feel good about in the limited playing time they're going to get against Miami.

Well they will have a better chance. But how good can you really feel about beating up on 2nd and 3rd teamers from Miami?

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sonnyboy;3520151 said:
Our #1's haven't earned the right to skip this scrimmage. We need to get in there and put in some good work.
If it costs a us few bumps and bruises, even a more serious injury to someone......so be it. We need the work.

OK. As long as the someone it costs us isn't Romo or Ware or Ratliff or Witten or Felix or Jenkins. OK.