Dez Bryant has a hip pointer

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5224113
---------------------------------------

Dallas Cowboys nickel cornerback Orlando Scandrick is wearing a cast on his left hand after undergoing surgery for a broken left index finger, according to multiple sources.

Scandrick, who suffered the injury during Tuesday's organized team activities, hopes to return to training camp in late July.

In other Cowboys injury news, wide receiver Dez Bryant, who left Tuesday's OTAs due to a stomach virus, is now battling a new health problem. A source said Bryant suffered a slight hip pointer when he returned to OTAs on Wednesday.

It's not considered serious.

The Cowboys' OTAs were closed to the media Tuesday and Wednesday.
----------------------

I hate hip pointers.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
SDCowboy85;3415744 said:
Excuse my ignorance, but what's a hip pointer?

It's a bruise on your upper pelvic bone. It's very annoying, I had one when I played football and it lasted a good month before I was back to normal.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
SDCowboy85;3415744 said:

A hip pointer is a contusion to the iliac crest, the surrounding soft-tissue structures, or the greater trochanter of the femur. Typically, the injury is caused by a direct blow or fall.[URL="javascript:showcontent('active','references');"]1,2,3 [/URL]Hip pointer injuries occur most commonly in contact sports (eg, football, hockey), but they can also occur in noncontact sports (eg, volleyball) as a result of a fall onto the hip or side. Pain and tenderness in this region can limit an athlete's participation in sports.

Hip_Pointer.jpg

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
In plain language, it's when you get hit on that spot on the side of your hip right there where the bone is right up against the skin with no muscle or fat to cushion it. You don't have to get hit very hard right there to get a painful bruise that takes a while to heal.

There's no structural damage or anything, though. It just hurts.

BTW, this is another reason it astounds me that some WRs and DBs don't wear pads in their pants. I bet Dez wasn't wearing them to get one of these in a non-contact practice.

Edit... Never mind, these guys are just wearing shorts, aren't they? Oh well. Still amazes me that some players take the pads out of their pants.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Coakleys Dad;3415759 said:
stop diving dez..its only otas....
Probably one of his jumping catchings and someone's shoulder hit his hip.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
dcfanatic;3415749 said:
A hip pointer is a contusion to the iliac crest, the surrounding soft-tissue structures, or the greater trochanter of the femur. Typically, the injury is caused by a direct blow or fall.http://javascript<b></b>:showcontent('active','references');1,2,3 Hip pointer injuries occur most commonly in contact sports (eg, football, hockey), but they can also occur in noncontact sports (eg, volleyball) as a result of a fall onto the hip or side. Pain and tenderness in this region can limit an athlete's participation in sports.

Hip_Pointer.jpg

Judging by your picture, he fell into a staircase. Roy Williams and Crayton are the key suspects!:laugh2:

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3415758 said:
In plain language, it's when you get hit on that spot on the side of your hip right there where the bone is right up against the skin with no muscle or fat to cushion it. You don't have to get hit very hard right there to get a painful bruise that takes a while to heal.

There's no structural damage or anything, though. It just hurts.

BTW, this is another reason it astounds me that some WRs and DBs don't wear pads in their pants. I bet Dez wasn't wearing them to get one of these in a non-contact practice.

Edit... Never mind, these guys are just wearing shorts, aren't they? Oh well. Still amazes me that some players take the pads out of their pants.

They usually take out the thigh pads, and your thigh/femur is the strongest bone in your body so it's really no big deal. I mean, you could still severely injure it, and the chances are rare and if you do you're basically ****ed, but really rare nonetheless. I'm pretty sure they keep the hip pads on though.

Look at rugby players....

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
I guess it wasn't too serious because Dez was dunking on some Old Schoolers tonight...

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/archives/2010/05/cowboys-bryant-on-the-field-an.html

Bryant, the first-round draft choice, said he participated in the club's Organized Team Activities morning workout, which was closed to the media.

In the evening, Bryant joined a group of current and former Cowboys' for a charity basketball game at Coppell High School.

Bryant was an eager participant in the game, which benefitted Big Brothers Big Sisters of North Texas. He ran the court, launched a series of long jump shots and dunked three times.

"I felt bad (Tuesday) but I was a lot better today,'' Bryant said. ``I'm glad I was able to practice. That was good.''
------------------------------

He's probably going to be a little sore, but he should be fine for next Monday.

Reaction score
dcfanatic;3415784 said:
I guess it wasn't too serious because Dez was dunking on some Old Schoolers tonight...

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/archives/2010/05/cowboys-bryant-on-the-field-an.html

Bryant, the first-round draft choice, said he participated in the club's Organized Team Activities morning workout, which was closed to the media.

In the evening, Bryant joined a group of current and former Cowboys' for a charity basketball game at Coppell High School.

Bryant was an eager participant in the game, which benefitted Big Brothers Big Sisters of North Texas. He ran the court, launched a series of long jump shots and dunked three times.

"I felt bad (Tuesday) but I was a lot better today,'' Bryant said. ``I'm glad I was able to practice. That was good.''
------------------------------

He's probably going to be a little sore, but he should be fine for next Monday.

That's what being barely 21 does for you....

Kangaroo

Reaction score
SDCowboy85;3415744 said:

They suck like a son of a badword

They are a very common injury for people that skate board some or worse than others if he is still practicing then it is a minor bruise and will cause discomfort. yes I have had a couple of them in my life time nothing like falling on a ramp or falling of a rail and landing hard on concrete