Dez Bryant hazing start of Cowboys downfall, Jerome Bettis tells ESPN

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;3699496 said:
Wade Phillips allowed the team to become sloppy and mistake-prone and lacking any accountability. His method was to treat them like men and create a family atmosphere. That method failed and it cost him his job.

I think there were several other factors as well.

Wade is a defensive coordinator, not a great head coaching candidate. Not the worst thing in life. It happens. Frequently. Some guys are great coordinators, not great head coaches. Trying to wear both 'hats' as coach and coordinator made things even worse.

Players have been put on notice and now have a coach demanding more hard work and attention to detail. Hopefully that is enough to get this team to play up to their potential.

I agree with that.

Wade taught them to play in his system and for a while this worked pretty well. Wade, rather than get overly involved treated them like young teenagers; he expected them to do the right thing and like I said for awhile they did. When players failed to execute, Wade having left the players to hold themselves accountable hadn't established authority and things spiraled out of control.
If I'm a safety and blow it on a big play and say "man that was on me, I screwed up." and then play better great. If I keep screwing up, even if I hold myself accountable players will eventually want the coach to get on my *** and with Wade there was no one doing that consistently.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Did the Dallas Cowboys jump the shark before the season even started?

Absolutely.

But Dez's shoulder pads didn't have anything to do with it.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Locker room chemistry is a very fragile thing. Wade was a can of Raid; our team chemistry was a cockroach.