Dez Bryant isn't perfect, folks

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
June 14, 9:17 AM
Dallas Cowboys Examiner
by Dan Telvock

All the hoopla surrounding Dallas Cowboys rookie Dez Bryant is certainly worthy, but the kid isn't perfect.

As much as Cowboys fans wish he was, Bryant is going to have some trouble learning the game of the NFL.

So, it is no surprise to me that he is having trouble running routes. Terrell Owens had trouble running the correct routes with the Cowboys, too.

Should there be concern that Bryant hasn't been perfect at every aspect of the game? Of course not. In fact, there was probably a bit too much coverage highlighting how good this kid might be. He turned heads in practices until he injured his hamstring, a sign that either he is pushing himself too much or offensive coordinator Jason Garrett isn't thinking.

Maybe Garrett's offense is so technical--he is an Ivy League grad after all--that wide receivers have trouble running the correct routes? Such problems don't seem to be affecting Miles Austin or Jason Witten.

I think the real test for Bryant is obviously going to come in the preseason, where you would expect to see him get a lot of action. If Bryant doesn't see the field a lot in the preseason, I'd be very concerned that Jerry Jones et al' are putting too much stock in the rookie.

http://www.examiner.com/x-850-Dalla...ant-isnt-perfect-folks?cid=channel-rss-Sports

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Who is saying he is perfect?

Seems like everything I hear is that he has incredible talent and is just raw...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Gryphon;3433013 said:
Dallas Cowboys Examiner
by Dan Telvock

All the hoopla surrounding Dallas Cowboys rookie Dez Bryant is certainly worthy, but the kid isn't perfect.

As much as Cowboys fans wish he was, Bryant is going to have some trouble learning the game of the NFL.

So, it is no surprise to me that he is having trouble running routes. Terrell Owens had trouble running the correct routes with the Cowboys, too.

Should there be concern that Bryant hasn't been perfect at every aspect of the game? Of course not. In fact, there was probably a bit too much coverage highlighting how good this kid might be. He turned heads in practices until he injured his hamstring, a sign that either he is pushing himself too much or offensive coordinator Jason Garrett isn't thinking.

Maybe Garrett's offense is so technical--he is an Ivy League grad after all--that wide receivers have trouble running the correct routes? Such problems don't seem to be affecting Miles Austin or Jason Witten.

I think the real test for Bryant is obviously going to come in the preseason, where you would expect to see him get a lot of action. If Bryant doesn't see the field a lot in the preseason, I'd be very concerned that Jerry Jones et al' are putting too much stock in the rookie.

http://www.examiner.com/x-850-Dalla...ant-isnt-perfect-folks?cid=channel-rss-Sports

No such thing as a perfect player. Dez has great athletic ability but like most rookies he is going to make mistakes. Not many rookie WR coming in and tear the league up.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
It'd be great if he was the next Randy Moss, but I doubt we see anyone like him for a very long time.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Examiner?

Isn't that the periodical that had Gary Coleman marrying a two-headed alien found in a coma in King Tut's pyramid?

Dez isn't perfect?

Next thing will be somebody telling me Quincy Carter took drugs.

Sometimes the better part of valor is not posting a fan column from a fan site that has as much journalistic integrity as MSNBC.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Jon88;3433019 said:
It'd be great if he was the next Randy Moss, but I doubt we see anyone like him for a very long time.

IDK, he could be just as good as Moss. The kid has sick skills and I bet Moss ran wrong routes his rookie yr too but his QB found him cause he was open all the time. Romo will find Dez too.....

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
Mansta54;3433024 said:
IDK, he could be just as good as Moss. The kid has sick skills and I bet Moss ran wrong routes his rookie yr too but his QB found him cause he was open all the time. Romo will find Dez too.....

I have never seen anyone with Moss's size, speed, and athleticism. He was something special and could have been the best of all time if not for his attitude.

I don't know if Dez has everything Moss did.

CoCo

Reaction score
Gryphon;3433013 said:
Dallas Cowboys Examiner
by Dan Telvock

Black Bold - I thought it became established back in 2008 that the Cowboy offense was simplistic & predictable. Or maybe Ray Lewis meant it was so complicated that confusion on offense was predictable. In any case, I'd like to know what the current mantra of criticism for Jason Garrett is so that I can stay current.

Red Bold - I'm missing what this part is trying to say. If Dez doesn't get playing time in preseason it means we're putting too much stock in him??? Is he trying to say that if Dez is too confused to play in preseason then he won't contribute much in regular season? Or is he thinking Dallas might possibly hold him out of preseason games to keep him healthy and do him more harm than good. Sorry, I'm confused.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Jon88;3433027 said:
I have never seen anyone with Moss's size, speed, and athleticism. He was something special and could have been the best of all time if not for his attitude.

I don't know if Dez has everything Moss did.

I don't know either but he could have more and be just as good, if not better.. We're gonna see and I'm anxious to find out. I'm glad JJ drafted him..:D

Stautner

Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I like the idea of keeping Crayton around one more year. Dez is learning. Add that to Austin has still only had one good year out of 4, Roy is a big question mark, and Ogletree only has 7 career receptions. Let's use him one more year and then send him on his merry way.

hammer1

Reaction score
Gryphon;3433013 said:
Dallas Cowboys Examiner
by Dan Telvock

Whew! I'm glad this guy set me straight on Dez. I was just about to lose my grip on reality.

Doosh.
;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TwoDeep3;3433023 said:
Dallas Cowboys Examiner?

Isn't that the periodical that had Gary Coleman marrying a two-headed alien found in a coma in King Tut's pyramid?

Dez isn't perfect?

Next thing will be somebody telling me Quincy Carter took drugs.

Sometimes the better part of valor is not posting a fan column from a fan site that has as much journalistic integrity as MSNBC.
Quincy Carter takes drugs.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
CoCo;3433031 said:
Red Bold - I'm missing what this part is trying to say. If Dez doesn't get playing time in preseason it means we're putting too much stock in him??? Is he trying to say that if Dez is too confused to play in preseason then he won't contribute much in regular season? Or is he thinking Dallas might possibly hold him out of preseason games to keep him healthy and do him more harm than good. Sorry, I'm confused.

What the author is trying to say (I think) is that if Dez doesn't play much in the preseason, then the Cowboys are treating him too much like a starter and not making him earn his time on the field.

Much like Romo and Ware will not play a lot of snaps in the preseason because the Cowboys don't want to risk injury and they want to see players who still need to be evaluated to determine if they will make the team or not.

I suppose the author is saying Dez still needs a lot of reps and they need to let him play a lot... as opposed to sitting him because Dallas feels like he is a sure thing.

I'm not sure because it is hard to understand the mind of crazy people.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Perfect = Memorizing the playbook in your 1st two weeks of practice...;)

CoCo

Reaction score
AsthmaField;3433140 said:
What the author is trying to say (I think) is that if Dez doesn't play much in the preseason, then the Cowboys are treating him too much like a starter and not making him earn his time on the field.

Much like Romo and Ware will not play a lot of snaps in the preseason because the Cowboys don't want to risk injury and they want to see players who still need to be evaluated to determine if they will make the team or not.

I suppose the author is saying Dez still needs a lot of reps and they need to let him play a lot... as opposed to sitting him because Dallas feels like he is a sure thing.

I'm not sure because it is hard to understand the mind of crazy people.

Yeah. :laugh2:

And I do think it's pretty crazy speculation considering we haven't even started training camp. This is going to be a rough 5 weeks or so until camp opens.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
Which position is harder to learn, in the slot or on the outside? I have been reading that Austin is working in the slot and is basically having his way.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
Future;3433016 said:
Who is saying he is perfect?

Seems like everything I hear is that he has incredible talent and is just raw...

lol that jerry jones commercial is still funny to this day

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
chip_gilkey;3433143 said:
I think he knows that hos :laugh1:
I wanted to make sure, because he used the past participle, took. As in he used to.

He still is. It controls his life. He is a shell of the man he once was, to the point that his drugs are more important to him than his son is.

It is a sad story, and I refuse to feel sorry for Quincy because that is not what he needs. He needs for the drugs to finally drag his worthless *** to the bottom of the barrel so he can realize he is their slave and needs to fix it.

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
Stautner;3433040 said:
This is one of the reasons I like the idea of keeping Crayton around one more year. Dez is learning. Add that to Austin has still only had one good year out of 4, Roy is a big question mark, and Ogletree only has 7 career receptions. Let's use him one more year and then send him on his merry way.

Check out this cool website I found!!!

www.NO.com