Dez Bryant + Martellus Bennett

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Bryant's biggest impact will be if Romo can learn to better throw jump balls. This in my opinion is Romo's biggest weakness as a QB. This is part of the reason Romo has issues with Roy (and Bennett for that matter) who is also a jump ball WR.

The good thing about Bryant is that his range and ability to catch balls that aren't close to him makes him 10x better than Roy.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3515670 said:
This team hasn't been anything close to consistent with screen passes in just about forever. I wouldn't count on a screen pass too often.

Might as well just spike the ball and call it good for a down.
I kinda disagree with you on this. They have gotten much better in the last year or two at running the screen, IMO. I'm not saying they run it to perfection on a consistent basis, but they're no longer a poor screen team. Just my opinion.

rwilliamsfan

Reaction score
nyc;3516025 said:
Bryant's biggest impact will be if Romo can learn to better throw jump balls. This in my opinion is Romo's biggest weakness as a QB. This is part of the reason Romo has issues with Roy (and Bennett for that matter) who is also a jump ball WR.

The good thing about Bryant is that his range and ability to catch balls that aren't close to him makes him 10x better than Roy.

^ This. Hate to say it, but Romo should watch tape of Phillip Rivers throwing jump balls to all those beasts they have in SD. It is a *glaring* weakness in his game right now.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
rwilliamsfan;3516152 said:
^ This. Hate to say it, but Romo should watch tape of Phillip Rivers throwing jump balls to all those beasts they have in SD. It is a *glaring* weakness in his game right now.

Floyd and V.Jackson are known for jumping and catching those balls. I haven't seen Roy doing it many times. It is a puzzle.
:bang2:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vintage;3515676 said:
I wonder if we might be better at it this year, if we run screens to the left. Kosier and Free can get out in space... Flozell was getting up there and wasn't particularly effective in something like that.

Dunno.

I did read a few weeks ago, or so. They feel they can run the screens more effectively with Free as opposed to Adams. Which is one of the reasons that contributed to his release.

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
jazzcat22;3516229 said:
I did read a few weeks ago, or so. They feel they can run the screens more effectively with Free as opposed to Adams. Which is one of the reasons that contributed to his release.

I wonder what a LB or DB thinks when they see Doug Free running at them.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
hra8700;3515702 said:
Romo had one of the biggest percentage drops in adjusted yards per attempt when blitzed in the league. I calculated it once. Would need to find my excel file.

But it wasn't pretty.
I bet that's as much of a reflection on the wide receivers not getting space and the playcalling itself as it is on Romo.