Dez Bryant Should Cash In Before History Intervenes

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I didn't see this posted. Pretty interesting read on why Dez should go ahead and get what long term contract he can now.

Quietly, we've seen the framework of this pattern in Johnson's career. In his sixth NFL year, after signing a seven-year deal worth $113.5 million, he produced his best season: 122 receptions for a league-record 1,964 yards. In the ensuing two years, he missed five games because of injury and was limited in others. His receptions dropped to 84 in 2013 and 71 last season, and he barely eclipsed 1,000 yards.

A 1,000-yard receiver is nothing to sneeze at, especially one whose physical skills demand that opponents pay special schematic attention. But it's only fair to note how dearly the Lions are paying for Johnson's declining production.

Read the rest here: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...ash-in-with-cowboys-before-history-intervenes

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I remember the Lions were allotting something like 65% of their cap spent for three players, Johnson, Suh and Stafford. There is no way a team can support that and continue to be successful. We saw them have to let Suh go because he was asking and got crazy money, might eventually cut Johnson too.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I remember the Lions were allotting something like 65% of their cap spent for three players, Johnson, Suh and Stafford. There is no way a team can support that and continue to be successful. We saw them have to let Suh go because he was asking and got crazy money, might eventually cut Johnson too.

Yep. That's why I kept saying Suh would be available in free agency. I didn't see how Detroit could re-sign him or even franchise him.

That contract is really crippling. Johnson has to be playing lights out for his pay to be anywhere close to worth it, and those days are probably gone now. I mean, he might have some good seasons but he isn't going to dominate again IMO.

perrykemp

Reaction score

A fair amount of that had to do with the unique timing the Lions had of having 3 top picks in 4 years and the very end of system where the rookie salary cap allotments (slotting) where put into place.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
A fair amount of that had to do with the unique timing the Lions had of having 3 top picks in 4 years and the very end of system where the rookie salary cap allotments (slotting) where put into place.

When CJ got his extension he was due 21m on the last year of his 6/55m rookie deal.

If DET wanted to tag him it would have cost 26m the first year and 31m the second year.

That is why DET gave him the huge extension. They had no choice. Pay or lose him for a comp pick.

In comparison Dez is due 12.8m and 15.3m if tagged twice.

If Dez' people are using the CJ contract as a starting point they are playing games.

USMarineVet

Reaction score
I have to hand it to you... that was funny.

I feel bad for JPP but he can't point the finger at anyone but himself.

Yup. Have to agree. If JPP didn't have such a short fuse, he would have realized it was a fair offer, gone to mini-camp and avoided this whole mess. But noooo. He's in Florida blowing the whole thing off. The man had a 60 million dollar contract on the table and now he can't even sign it. I can tell you first hand that fans here in Giants Country are ready to explode like a 90 megaton bomb over this. It really has their skin crawling.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

d7s.gif