News: Dez Bryant vs. Orlando Scandrick at top of training camp battles

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dez Bryant vs. Orlando Scandrick at top of training camp battles

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...ndo-scandrick-at-top-of-training-camp-battles

@toddarcher: I don't see a lot of starting spots open. It's my belief Justin Durant was signed to be a backup linebacker, not a starter. I don't think Terrance Williams loses his receiver job to Brice Butler. I don't know what kind of running back battle people were expecting. Defensive end has the most uncertainty, but the battle is between Benson Mayowa, Charles Tapper, Ryan Russell and David Irving. That's vital, clearly, but not exactly exciting. But I want to take this answer in a different direction but still being a training camp battle. I'm looking forward to seeing Dez Bryant going against Orlando Scandrick. They're both healthy and want to prove they're back. I want to see Jason Witten against Byron Jones. In the spring, Witten won a lot. Can Jones close the gap on the veteran? I want to see Sean Lee against Ezekiel Elliott. A few years ago the Lee-DeMarco Murray battles were pretty epic. Elliott will have to bring it against Lee.

toddarcher: That Dunbar could be ready some time in training camp is surprising to me. He suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament and a torn patellar tendon. I thought for sure he would open the season on the physically unable to perform list and miss the first six games. That still might happen, but the backfield could be crowded. I believed the Cowboys would carry four running backs (tailbacks and fullback) but if Dunbar could be ready by the third game of the year, then maybe they carry him on the 53-man roster to start the year. I don't believe Alfred Morris would be in any danger. Darren McFadden's broken elbow likely hurt any trade chances later this summer. I believe sixth-rounder Darius Jackson has a chance. Dunbar's return could impact if they keep either Rod Smith or Keith Smith at fullback. I think they try to put Jackson on the practice squad and go without a fullback if other roster spots aren't impacted by injury...

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I think they get rid of rod smith, and put Jackson on the PS as well.
Iron sharpens iron, I hope the scandrick/ Dez battles are epic in camp. But since both are coming off serious injuries, I'd settle for just getting outta camp healthy.

JDSmith

Reaction score
I think they get rid of rod smith, and put Jackson on the PS as well.
Iron sharpens iron, I hope the scandrick/ Dez battles are epic in camp. But since both are coming off serious injuries, I'd settle for just getting outta camp healthy.

And with the way the coaches tend to 'ease' players back from injury we might not to get to see much competition between them anyway.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Freeney would be good for the young guys, and yeah he could roll out of bed and get 6 sacks.pretty much an upgraded version of Mincey for the 2016 season.

Yuma Cactus

Reaction score
Dez vs. Scandrick was loads of fun in '14 at Training Camp. Lots of jawing and oohs and aghhhs from the crowd and teammates. Not sure if we will see alot of it , especially early in camp with both of them coming off of injuries.

MagicMan

Reaction score
Me thinks that the only reason Williams will not lose his WR starting job to Butler in the preseason is because Romo will probably not play at all until the 3rd game.

I think Butler has this chemistry with Romo as well as his confidence which will not show until the regular season and then you may gradually see more of Butler than Williams------whether starting or not. Just a hunch. Could be starting by the end of the season and Williams will likely not get resigned since they will keep Butler instead. Of course if injuries occur to Butler or Romo, then all bets are off.