Dick Stockton to retire after 55 years as sports announcer

Motorola

Reaction score
His greatness was in his steady, low-key presentation and style:
Never bombastic, or overbearing
Never coined a catch-phrase, nor created a shtick
No over-the-top, exaggerated calls during a significant play or moment
No incessant commentary \ constant recollection of personal ties & interaction to sports greats and legends
Worked well with color commentators \ game analysts - no matter what the sport
Yes - the man has had some gaffs and missteps on air the last few years - but just like the hundreds of thousands of athletes he has covered over his HALF CENTURY in his profession - Father Time defeats them all....and Stockton has decided it is time to walk away from the microphone for the last time.
Salud to a diverse and outstanding career.
My apologies for the repeat post - lost connection

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Well congrats to you sir, Mr. Richard Edward Stokvis....didn't know that was his birth name. He did span all sports as an announcer and very good at all of them. Great run and loved hearing him call an NFL Cowboy game. Ironically 78 years old., same age as Jerry. Jerry, are you listening..???

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Late 80’s nba with Stockton and Hubie Brown. That was the best. Those two are still my top nba combo of announcers.

Snapper Jones and whoever gets honorable mention. And Rick Barry was by far the worst ever.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
If I remember correctly Dick Stockton and Lesley Visser were married. If anyone remembers her.
heck yeah and I always would think good for you Mr Stockton, what a catch, because visually it seemed a bit of a mismatch

Do you remember the successful tennis player named Dick Stockton?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
These old classics can’t be replaced. Stockton is a legend in that business. It’s sad.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
heck yeah and I always would think good for you Mr Stockton, what a catch, because visually it seemed a bit of a mismatch

Do you remember the successful tennis player named Dick Stockton?

No I don't follow tennis, just what I seen on sports center from time to time, so do not remember too many names from it.