Did "Air Force vs. Navy" mindset turn Dak into a timid quarterback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooksey

Reaction score
How dumb are these people NOT to see the state of the Oline as the big elephant in the room.

QB has been sacked 51 times, most in franchise history and they still cant figure it out. LOL

And they wonder why the QB has had so many fumbles or problems in the pocket.

@CowboyRoy Not the brightest bulb on the tree insulting the board, go figure.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
he became timid after the butt kicking in panama city. LMAO , he just needed a better scheme.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Romo was running for his life most of his career behind terrible lines. Not all, most.

Holding the ball too long was never a complaint I had with Romo, nor do I remember anyone else mentioning it.

Oh, we mentioned it alright...which is why he also fumbled too much in the pocket (like Dak), and in many games took too many sacks ("just throw the ball away, Tony, just throw it away!").

So when Dak makes Read 1 and they're covered, and then Read 2, and they're covered, his next action is how he's been coached....which in many games, to avoid fumbles and sacks, he's told to just dump it off to Zeke no matter where he is (Zeke could be 5 yards behind the LOS). Running is risky business....could be fruitful, could be disastrous (sack! fumble! argh!). The Cowboys relied on Romo's escapability in the passing game too much, and it finally caught up to the Cowboys, ending his career.

For Dak, he'll have to rely on Read 1 and Read 2 more frequently, and make sure his players get open...else look for a TE hook for 3 yards or whatever, just to avoid a loss. The problem is...the current TEs aren't open all the time, so then Dak has no choice other than find Zeke, or step up and take off.

If it was easy, and consistent, there would be a lot of QBs having massive success consistently, week in week out. Actually, there's very few...and even QBs who won the Superbowl struggle, in consecutive games (yes, even A Rod, Brady, Roeth, Brees and Ryan...let alone others like Carr, Mariota, Stafford and others). Hec, look how much they paid Cousins, and he's not having much consistent success either (some games solid, some games putrid). And these are seasoned QBs.

So with Dak, we need a little patience. Hec, if he wins the NFCE AGAIN this year, that's a success. If he can make a playoff run and win a game or 2, hallelulah!....then they're definitely on the right track.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Romo was slightly more aggressive late in close games. Prescott is much, much more aggressive late in close games.

Career Yards per Attempt
4th qtr or OT of one-score game
Romo 8.5 (1st)
Prescott 8.6 (6th)

all other attempts
Romo 7.8 (3rd)
Prescott 7.2 (18th)

In parentheses is where that number ranks for the years they played, among the 32 QB with the most attempts.
As a reminder everyone Dak's stats based on a fairly small sample size whereas Romo's is based on a career.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
So you haven't formed any opinion on Dak yet.
Not true. I just think subdividing Dak's stats into sub groups can be misleading. In small sample sizes the noise is huge and he standard deviation of outcomes even larger. In another thread you were drawing sweeping conclusions saying Dak must not be missing wide open WRs for TDs not because he has a known issue reading defenses but because it was the 1st quarter....all based on 19 total completions on 43 total attempts in "late & close" situations.

That kind of specificity based on limited data is dangerous.

My opinion on Dak is simple. He needs a simple offense and simple reads and wide open WRs or else he just misses opportunities that you'd expect a QB with 3 years starting experience and who is in line for a big contract to notice and exploit as a matter of course.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I think he excels in 4th quarter situations for the reasons you describe, to wit: he stops getting in his own way and starts getting things done. He stops thinking about negative outcomes. I think that will spill over to quarters 1-3 sooner rather than later.

Why? What is pointing to this. . . Eternal Hope? If so I accept that .But don't try to act as if it will happen. Dak is what we thought he was. The only reason this kid gets a pass is because of the civil war of 2016. There are too many fans entrentched with Dak.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Not true. I just think subdividing Dak's stats into sub groups can be misleading. In small sample sizes the noise is huge and he standard deviation of outcomes even larger. In another thread you were drawing sweeping conclusions saying Dak must not be missing wide open WRs for TDs not because he has a known issue reading defenses but because it was the 1st quarter....all based on 19 total completions on 43 total attempts in "late & close" situations.

That kind of specificity based on limited data is dangerous.
Well, you're responding to something you haven't fully understood. It would make no sense to conclude that Prescott "must not be missing open receivers because it was the 1st quarter." I did point out that Prescott is very conservative -- until it's late in a close game. That may be what you're referring to. The 43 attempts that you mistook for Dak's "total" late & close attempts are probably just the 15+ yard late & close attempts I'd posted, and not his total of 233 late and close attempts of all distances on which he's averaging 8.6 YPA.

I don't think there's any doubt that he will intentionally throw a lot of intermediate-to-deep balls out of harm's way during the first three quarters (not just the 1st -- that wouldn't make sense), but then adjusts late in close games, and that's why we see such a disparity in completion rate on those 15+ yard throws (44.2% in late & close, and 29.8% otherwise). Quarterbacks know they're not obligated to try to complete every pass, especially when the receiver isn't as open as they'd like. This is not a revolutionary idea. On the Super Bowl V pre-game, Namath was praising Unitas for doing it in the 1970 AFC Championship against the Raiders. I'm sure it goes back even farther than that.

Maybe I could have explained the difference between the two stats more fully, and broken it down a little more.

shabazz

Reaction score
Let’s not get it twisted.

Romo was a full out Baller that struck fear in every Defensive Coodinator in the league

Dakota is a dink and Dunk, deer in the Headlights imitation of an NFl Qb that makes NFl Defensive Coordinators giddy with delight at how simple and limited his skill set is.

Just watch Mahomes on Sunday and then watch Dakota. One has swag with positive results. The other one, not so much

Status
Not open for further replies.