Did Anybody Ever Grow Up With the American Top 40?

Passepartout

Reaction score
Never listened to the one with Ryan Seacrest and that really don't get me started on him. Loved it with the great, late Casey Kasem. The original is always going to be the original. Kind of had a crush on him LOL as crazy as it sounds.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I listened every week growing up. Casey had an awesome voice for radio. After I grew out of the bubblegum years I stopped listening so much.

And I would NEVER ever listen to Seacrest. Nails on a chalkboard!!!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you want a roll in the floor, find the outtakes when Kasem loses it and they kept the tape rolling. It”s the “my dog died” overload that causes him to lose it.

Passepartout

Reaction score
Yeah as really Casey you can't blame him in a sense. As he really makes dedications like that seriously. And to put an upbeat song like that well that is another thing.

triplets_93

Reaction score
I NEVER paid attention to the Top 40.

My music life started with The Beatles in1964. And yes, they were played a lot on the radio. But why even bother with that, when you could play Beatles albums full of songs, instead of waiting for the radio to play them. Meaning that, when The Beatles came out in 1964... that's ALL I wanted to listen to, day and night.

As a teen, all I was interested in was album rock, and I had not desire to know what the latest song was at the top of the teeny-bop charts.

Admittedly, in the 1980's, I listened to what would have been on the Top 40, but that was by way of MTV, with New Wave music, and that was not based on anything the radio was or was not playing at the time.

Passepartout

Reaction score
I NEVER paid attention to the Top 40.

My music life started with The Beatles in1964. And yes, they were played a lot on the radio. But why even bother with that, when you could play Beatles albums full of songs, instead of waiting for the radio to play them. Meaning that, when The Beatles came out in 1964... that's ALL I wanted to listen to, day and night.

As a teen, all I was interested in was album rock, and I had not desire to know what the latest song was at the top of the teeny-bop charts.

Admittedly, in the 1980's, I listened to what would have been on the Top 40, but that was by way of MTV, with New Wave music, and that was not based on anything the radio was or was not playing at the time.

One Beatles Fan To Another!

cowboyec

Reaction score
heck yeah.
i remember he did an Elvis themed tribute show...in the early 80s.
he played Elvis' version of softly as i leave you...billed as a lost song...even tho it wasn't.
it was released as a single after he died...and received a grammy nomination.
loved america's top 40.
he had a great voice.

Last edited:

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Back in the 70s, my baby sister loved listening to the top 40 countdown and watching American Bandstand. I can't say I ever liked either one.

Passepartout

Reaction score
Yeah as really those countdowns were way before the Ipods, Youtube, even CD's, just to name a few. Casey really was ahead of his time like that of Dick Clark in "American Bandstand!"

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
4279d67a164274a8b9468fbdfaa26158.png

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Had nothing but AM for a while when I was a kid, wolfman jack got popular in the late 60's, then underground or "progressive" radio FM stations from some of the colleges and bigger cities popped up in 1970 ish.