Did anyone catch Goodell on with Norm about Pac Man?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Goodell said he gave PacMan clearance to workout with a team (Titans) this year in the offseason program, and then the league uncovered something that was "inconsistent" with what PacMan had told them previously so he had those rights revoked.

Norm asked Goodell if he thought it would be better for PacMan if he had the structure and support of a team around him to stay out of trouble, and Goodell said he got into all this trouble with the support of the Titans organization ... this isn't about support, this is one person who needs to take acccountability for his personal decisions.

Goodell is going to sit down to with PacMan over the summer and go over this extortion story at length and make sure that every detail is consistent with what he's told the NFL previously to make sure he's been forthcoming about everything.

Basically, I got the impression that Pac Man is a longshot to get reinstated this year. He better get his story straight, because they're going to "cross examine" him at length over the summer during their meeting, and if he's been less than forthcoming or trying to cover up anything they're going to nail him on it.

rw54

Reaction score
I got the same idea. I also heard him say something about the teams being punished as well as the player. Something about money being taken from the cap and maybe even draft choices. I hope we knew this before we got him.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Yeah, he said they're looking into monetary punishments for teams who take players with character problems that later get into trouble that could go into place this year. In the future they may start taking away draft picks.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2060206 said:
Goodell said he gave PacMan clearance to workout with a team (Titans) this year in the offseason program, and then the league uncovered something that was "inconsistent" with what PacMan had told them previously so he had those rights revoked.

Norm asked Goodell if he thought it would be better for PacMan if he had the structure and support of a team around him to stay out of trouble, and Goodell said he got into all this trouble with the support of the Titans organization ... this isn't about support, this is one person who needs to take acccountability for his personal decisions.

Goodell is going to sit down to with PacMan over the summer and go over this extortion story at length and make sure that every detail is consistent with what he's told the NFL previously to make sure he's been forthcoming about everything.

Basically, I got the impression that Pac Man is a longshot to get reinstated this year. He better get his story straight, because they're going to "cross examine" him at length over the summer during their meeting, and if he's been less than forthcoming about anything they're going to nail him on it.

Of course youre going tot hink its a longshot....... :rolleyes:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2060235 said:
Of course youre going tot hink its a longshot....... :rolleyes:

And of course you're coming to his rescue.

Just recently having his rights revoked to work out with the team ... yeah, sounds like he's on the straight and narrow and doing all the right things.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I had the Ticket on but was only halfway paying attention then, because our pick was up and I wanted to see who we were trading down with...

But the impression I got just from Goodell's tone was that he wasn't particularly concerned with and wasn't in any hurry to speed up this process with Pacman Jones. The feeling I got was that we have a great thing going with this league right now -- why should I be devoting energy to helping this one bad guy get back in to it?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think that 'inconsistancy' refers to the last allegations about Jones hitting a woman in a strip club. The charges proved to be false, but the fact was that he was in a place he told the commissioner he'd stay away from.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was half-listening, as well. I didn't get the feeling he wouldn't be reinstated, but that Goodell really doesn't know what he's going to do. He said what he always say re: Pacman, that Pacman has to take care of his business for a sustained period and then he'll re-evaluate.

As for him revoking Jones' workout privileges, it had to do with yet another club incident. Don't remember the particulars, but just that that was what made Goodell change his mind.

I do recall him saying that he needed to get more clarification on the extortion information and to clarify that what the league was aware of to that point was accurate.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2060206 said:

Basically, I got the impression that Pac Man is a longshot to get reinstated this year. He better get his story straight, because they're going to "cross examine" him at length over the summer during their meeting, and if he's been less than forthcoming or trying to cover up anything they're going to nail him on it.

Basically, I got the impression

Ya well we all know what they say about opinions. I give as much credence to yours as i do my Terrier.

TEUFELI

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2060241 said:

Just recently having his rights revoked to work out with the team ... yeah, sounds like he's on the straight and narrow and doing all the right things.

No offense, but I dont think your opinon matters one bit. Actually, I am quite sure it doesnt.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
true, guys, but at same time, when goodell doesnt really punish the patriots and belicheck like he should have was wrong too,

at least we will know next month when goodell meets with walsh and if he has tapes, then we will see if belicheck did cheat at rams patriots presuperbowl walkthrough

what gets me, goodell later says he knows that belicheck the cheater has cheated throughout-THROUGHOUT his career, so whats up with that,

seems like to me, what they say is true, he is in with buddies with patriots owner kraft, just look at the soft schedule the patriots got this year,

anyway, what i see from goodell and pacman is this, main thing, DO NOT LIE TO HIM, THAT REALLY GETS YOU IN TROUBLE

now i did see this, not sure if you guys caught it or not, but on espn and nfl networrk, dont remember which one, but they said that jerry jones was going to petition for pacman back into the nfl next week, at least jerry said, have him work out with the cowboys at their facility and get into football shape, etc, learn the defenses etc, so we will see,

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Pacman would be wise to send a lawyer in his place to answer the questions. If Pacman is not reinstated, he should sue the NFL. The NFL lawyers will tell Goodell it just ain't worth risking tens of millions of dollars if a court rules in Pacman's favor. Enough is enough. The Rams DE Little killed a woman and did less time. Ray Lewis did less time for something much worse.

jbsg02

Reaction score
I think it's safer to count on Mike Jenkins this year, pac man playing will be merely a luxury

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
ninja, thats a good comment, what i would do is this, first let jerry jones, whom has some nfl power, help get pacman reinstated, at least work with the cowboys in offseason to get in shape, work with calvin hill etc, michael irvin,

then, if goodell doesnt follow through, because what i have seen pacman has volunteered work, given money to charity, publically admitted his guilt, etc, and he has served a year sentence, in what goodell gave him, so now, what i would do after jerry jones helped him petition, i would take a lawyer with me, along with a lawyer from the nfl union, then approach goodell, then ball is in his court, then sue if need be, and let goodell know nfl will get sued, but first go through proper channels,

utrunner07

Reaction score
Screw Rodger Goodell...he suspends our QB Coach for a 1/4 of the season for steroid use for a MEDICAL condition...but a Head Coach who self admitidly cheats continually is given a fine and a slap on the wrist, not suspended a single game...what an idiot....of course pac-man won't be reinstated, its not like he was traded to the patriots or something.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2060232 said:
Yeah, he said they're looking into monetary punishments for teams who take players with character problems that later get into trouble that could go into place this year. In the future they may start taking away draft picks.

Is Goodell considering punishing teams for taking players with issues something that will be known as the "Cowboy Rule?" It seems there is always some type of rule put in place because of the Cowboys. Other teams can do it forever but when a Cowboy player starts then a rule is put in place but it is usually only called against the Cowboys.

I thought that was a really snide remark to say that PM made his mistakes with the structure of the Titan organization. In other words he didn't have any interest in doing anything that might assist or help PM in staying clean. Basically it was up to him and him alone to sink or swim. Yes, he really cares about the NFL and the teams and players.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2060241 said:

It actually wasnt recent it was during last season when Goodell found out that he *gasp* went to a strip club. He revoked his ability to go to the Titans facility. Its not me coming to the rescue but rather me knowing the facts and simply presenting them.

Goodell wants Jones to keep doing as hes been doing and hell get back. Its pretty obvious thats the case.

J-DOG

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2060246 said:
I had the Ticket on but was only halfway paying attention then, because our pick was up and I wanted to see who we were trading down with...

But the impression I got just from Goodell's tone was that he wasn't particularly concerned with and wasn't in any hurry to speed up this process with Pacman Jones. The feeling I got was that we have a great thing going with this league right now -- why should I be devoting energy to helping this one bad guy get back in to it?
I agree with the way Goodell is handling this.
Let the Pac Man thing be decided right before training camp.
But what I find ironic is that he was in a big hurry to sweep the Patriots cheating under the rug and then destroy the evidence.
To me, if Goodell would have punished the Patriots more and made them give up the highest 1st round pick instead of thier own first round pick and then suspended Belicheck...that would have been consistent with his prior harsh punishments that he handed down before.
But he didn't do that.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
It didnt sound too promising. Especially since goodell said he knew nothing about the extortion thing and was going to get his story on it.

I wont miss him. Nothing would make me happier to have newman get paid, jenkins turn out to be a player and then scandrick/ball turn out to be a player.

Thus kicking pacman out of the local arcade.