Did CeeDee Lamb make mistake picking up ball on onside kick?

aikemirv

Reaction score
falling on the ball gives the opportunity for the ball to squirt out somehow or you get stripped in the pile on. I would rather he do what he did.

blueblood70

Reaction score
maybe the coaches would have talk with the defensive coaches and players not Lamb he knows we kneed all the point we can get given our defense gives up yards and points in a hurray :)

i realize why they talked to him about it run more clock down etc but hey it bad year and i like some excitement..

I would however had told him in playoff game or game with big time meaning you fall on it..

also tell him might be better season had he caught that hail marry, and few of those drops one that he caught and fumbles right into hands of defender,,clean that up, if he want to be DHop he better work on his game and not sit on his talent alone..

he does remind me of young Dhop, wouldn't that be great if thats his ceiling..

blueblood70

Reaction score
falling on the ball gives the opportunity for the ball to squirt out somehow or you get stripped in the pile on. I would rather he do what he did.
this game yes in a big time game and moment like game for division or playoff game, you secure it then fall down..

morasp

Reaction score
At the time, the way the other Cowboys players set up blocks on the kicking team, I thought it looked like a designed play.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
Yes and I would have cut him.
tenor.gif

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Looked to me that in a split second, he thought to drop because who knows, maybe that's what he was coached. But he then decided, in another split second, to run with it.

Throughout the game he made some great plays. Player of the game IMO. Especially getting open after the play broke down and Dalton seen him get open. The kid is a baller.

Creeper

Reaction score
Lamb was supposed to fall on the ball instead of fielding it and returning it for a TD. He said he heard it from the coaches when he got back to the sideline. No one was mad or anything but Mcarthey said that is something that will be discussed during team meetings. I didn't see anything wrong with what he done but that is just me. What do you think? I know they are taught to fall on the ball and end the game since anything can happen if you return it.....

https://sports.yahoo.com/cowboys-rookie-lamb-takes-heat-183051911.html

I though this at the time, the right play was to fall down, even if he did it at the 1 yard line. Of course the TD sealed the game anyway so it made little difference. I think instinctively he tried to score.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Don’t blame him; too much open space.

Had he grabbed and immediately had defenders on him and he fumbled while trying to break tackles that would have been different.

Doomsday77

Reaction score
No why ? We won the game! He scored so wha what is the issue!!!
The issue is he didn’t do what he was coached to do. Let’s play the “what if” game and say that TD gives the Cowboys a one score lead. SF gets the Hail Mary and game over. What happens then? The offense needs to ice the game not give the ball back. Just sayin’.
Question I have is...does CD take a different approach knowing it’s a close game?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Technically, yes, he was wrong. The chances of losing went up from him returning it rather than him downing it. However, the increase was incredibly small.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
The right call in that situation is to protect the ball which is usually just to fall on it. There was a lot of space there so can understand why he did it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The issue is he didn’t do what he was coached to do. Let’s play the “what if” game and say that TD gives the Cowboys a one score lead. SF gets the Hail Mary and game over. What happens then? The offense needs to ice the game not give the ball back. Just sayin’.
Question I have is...does CD take a different approach knowing it’s a close game?
He will now for next time because coaches are coaching him up and its easier to coach after a positive moment and explain the mistake and correct it then had it cost us the game..teachable moments