Did Goodell's NFL Re-Engineer Massive 49ers-Dolphins Trade?

T-RO

Reaction score
Let's look at recent history.

The Trade

49ers Get:
3rd Overall Pick, which nets them Trey Lance

Dolphins Get:
12th Overall Pick
Round 3 pick
SF 2022 First
SF 2023 Second

Incredible boost for Miami...a Waterloo debacle for SF.

The Penalty
NFL seizes Dolphins 2023 #1 pick for "tampering"...relating to possible Tom Brady move to Fins. Interestingly, Brady never landed in Miami and received no penalty or even any criticism.

The Boost
In 2023 draft 49ers are granted ***Seven Compensatory draft picks***. Three of those picks in the 3rd round. Some of these comp picks are well understood, relating to known policy of free agency losses. Others are based on newer policy, relating to the league's promotion of minority hiring. What's odd is how SF was rewarded with its 3 third round picks not for direct new hiring of minorities, but for a secondary or tertiary role in minority coaches hired by *other teams*.

All facts here. And I won't delve into my hypothesis. Just ask: From the surface it sure seems like the NFL clicked on their big "Undo" button. Favoring a more lucrative team from Silicon Valley, and punishing a team with less power and money. Big coincidence?

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
SF will face our Cowboys next year with the benefit of seven comp picks in this draft. Three of those picks on day 2. A level playing field, my friends?

Do want to correct my first post: 49ers sent Miami three first rounders + a 3rd round pick in exchange for one first rounder. Now, after the league's moves...it's "abracadabra poof". Almost like that trade never happened.

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
“I won’t delve into my hypothesis…nevermind…here it is.”
I never explored much on specific hypothesis, motives. Just money/power, which drives everything in the world.

Will you defend NFL's mighty shield without skepticism...or answer the question: All one amazing coincidence that the impacts of the 49ers-Fins trade are now completely neutered by dual league actions?

Last edited: