Did Jerry send a hint on Dlaw?

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Listening to Jerry's press conference, when he made comment of “ We need Charles Haley here … “

First thing that came to my mind without Jerry mentioning another name was " Hmmm, ..Is he really calling out DeMarcus Lawrence ?.."

There isn't any secret that the Cowboys re-signed and awarded DLaw with that huge 100+ million dollar contract because they thought he was the Charles Haley factor ..the War Daddy,..the guy that opposing teams had to scheme and account for before the ball was snapped.

I tend to believe that if Dlaw comes out with another 4-5 sack season in '21, could the Cowboys begin to consider moving away from him, and that big contract, in the very near future ?

Among the highest paid defensive players in NFL, he's being paid 17m this year in 2021, and 19m in '22,... and 21m in '23.

The" dead money" cap hit from cutting Dlaw is 19m, and 11 m ..respectively in the next consecutive years.

DLaw's salary cap hits:

2021: $25M (Dead Money $44M)

2022: $27M (Dead Money $19M)

2023: $29M (Dead Money $11M)

2024: $3M (Dead Money $3M)

So unfortunately Dallas is stuck with this Green Backs Daddy (he is all about the Benjamin and not about being a War Daddy) for at least another 2 seasons as the dead money is too much to eat.

HungryLion

Reaction score
DLaw's salary cap hits:

So unfortunately Dallas is stuck with this Green Backs Daddy (he is all about the Benjamin and not about being a War Daddy) for at least another 2 seasons as the dead money is too much to eat.

D law will be around another 2 seasons. You’re right.

I honestly don’t see what the other option would be though anyway. There are no pass rushers waiting in the wings right now unless someone surprises.

DE is going to continue to be a major draft need going forward

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
He could've been referring to his leadership abilities. Like smashing the locker room wall after a loss.

Or! Maybe we need a player like Haley to walk around the locker room naked and smack teammates upside their heads with his weiner? :muttley:

He would call Troy a homophobic slur because he thought he was a California native because he looked the part and went to UCLA. Once he found out that he was from Oklahoma and was stud football player he gained his respect and stop calling him that. Charles was something else before he started taking his meds. No way he could play in this era of sunshine and lollipops.To be fair to him most players back then couldn't either.

I felt bad for him watching him his HOF induction speech and the reaction his family had during it. You can tell he put them through hell too. Major props to his ex-wife for sticking by him through sickness and in health.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
D law will be around another 2 seasons. You’re right.

I honestly don’t see what the other option would be though anyway. There are no pass rushers waiting in the wings right now unless someone surprises.

DE is going to continue to be a major draft need going forward

Sadly Lawrence has not been a pass rusher since he got his contract (25 sacks in 2 seasons prior to the extension and only 11.5 sacks in the 2 seasons since his extension) so all he is right now is a JAG that suckered JJ (like many recent players.....Zeke, J. Smith, ) into getting a fat new contract and then doing crap afterwards.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't think so. While DLaw has been a good player, I don't think anyone has mistaken him for having a Charles Haley type impact. Jerry knows thats not happening. It has to come from somewhere else. Future move, rookie, an unknown player, etc...

DLaw was given an 100 million dollar contract to have a Charles Haley/War Daddy type impact.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
DLaw's salary cap hits:

Net $8M cost if the Cowboys dump Lawrence next year. Easily doable.

links18

Reaction score
Did he say, we need more Charles Haleys or did he say we need Charles Haley? Big difference....

quickccc

Reaction score
Did he say, we need more Charles Haleys or did he say we need Charles Haley? Big difference....

why do you think Jerry even brought up Charles Haley name period ..?? ... Big difference.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
..so true, Jerry has been a buffoon for making these mistakes. He's a sucker for hot-flashes.

"We like our guys" isn't just a phrase, it's a management philosophy. But only a team where the GM and the Personnel Director have jobs-for-life can employ it.

They DO like their guys. After all, they chose them. If they make a mistake by paying them it's no big deal. It's only money - they have plenty of that. No one is going to fire them, so there are no real consequences when they make these mistakes.

But boy, if they win a SB with their guys...that's the dream. Whether it takes the rest of their lives to accomplish it doesn't matter to them. They're still enjoying the ride.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Give me Russell Maryland, Tony Casillas, Chad Hennings, and Leon Lett and I can get Lawrence back into the double digit sacks.

You have to get pressure up the middle for your defensive ends to get sacks. I would have liked to trade with Chicago and drafted Barrymore but I'm hoping Parsons can provide that pressure up the middle.