Video: Did John Wilkes Booth escape?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Alot of evidence John W. Booth did not die in a shootout as history suggests. True/false?

Photo on left taken in 1873 of man by the name John B Wilkes, who had arrived in U.S. from India.
ME12O9O4_o.jpg

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Why? What difference would it make now?

It's always best to know the truth. If he got away, I would rather know than not know. And if he was indeed killed in that tobacco barn, as history recorded, and that fact got verified, we could just put this rumor to rest. It's just better to know what really went down.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Just basing it off of those two pictures, I don't think they are the same person. There are some similarities, but I see several differences.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Just basing it off of those two pictures, I don't think they are the same person. There are some similarities, but I see several differences.

Yeah, the nose doesn't look the same, and this was before plastic surgery was available.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Definitely not the same person. The ears give it away indisputably....Also, why would he keep such a similar name, after killing Lincoln?

They could easily prove or disprove this rumor if they would just exhume the body and test the DNA. If I were to put money on it, I would bet that the body in the grave is proven to be JWB, but I'm not 100 percent certain. They say that the man shot in the tobacco barn had red hair and co-conspirator David Herold was saying, "That's not Booth." Did Booth dye his hair? I guess that's possible. I think they had hair dye back then, but it seems like it would have been a lot of trouble to dye your hair on the run like that.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They could easily prove or disprove this rumor if they would just exhume the body and test the DNA. If I were to put money on it, I would bet that the body in the grave is proven to be JWB, but I'm not 100 percent certain. They say that the man shot in the tobacco barn had red hair and co-conspirator David Herold was saying, "That's not Booth." Did Booth dye his hair? I guess that's possible. I think they had hair dye back then, but it seems like it would have been a lot of trouble to dye your hair on the run like that.
How do you justify the cost of exhuming the body and doing a DNA test? If it turns out not to be him, do we have to give reparations to the family of the guy who died? Do we print all new history books, or just put addendums in them? Just let it go, I say.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
How do you justify the cost of exhuming the body and doing a DNA test? If it turns out not to be him, do we have to give reparations to the family of the guy who died? Do we print all new history books, or just put addendums in them? Just let it go, I say.

No, I wouldn't pay reparations. IMO the cost of exhuming the body and doing the tests are worth it just to know the truth. So, yes, history books would need to be revised, but new editions of history books are scheduled anyway, so you just include the updated info, if any. It could turn out that history got it right anyway, so they don't get revised. I just think we should always know the truth if at all possible.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No, I wouldn't pay reparations. IMO the cost of exhuming the body and doing the tests are worth it just to know the truth. So, yes, history books would need to be revised, but new editions of history books are scheduled anyway, so you just include the updated info, if any. It could turn out that history got it right anyway, so they don't get revised. I just think we should always know the truth if at all possible.
If the truth could possibly matter in any way, yes, but in this case, I see no reason to go through the trouble and expense. History is recorded by the people in power anyway, so there's so much other history that needs to be revised and corrected first. This is so far down the list.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
If the truth could possibly matter in any way, yes, but in this case, I see no reason to go through the trouble and expense. History is recorded by the people in power anyway, so there's so much other history that needs to be revised and corrected first. This is so far down the list.

I would rank the assassination of President Lincoln way up there in historical importance. If the assassin actually got away with it, I want to know -- or if history is already accurate, I want to know that. For years they thought that Columbus was the first European to visit either American continent. They found out at one point, however, that the Vikings actually came here first. I'm glad they found out that information and corrected it. I just want to know with accuracy what happened. If they can find out info we didn't know about some historical figure -- Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Winston Churchhill, Marie Antoinette -- don't you want to know? Regardless of what it is? They figured out that Marie Antoinette never actually said "let them eat cake." Someone else said that years before the revolution. Don't you prefer to know the truth, whatever the truth may be? There was a rumor that Hitler escaped at the end of World War II and lived a long life in South America. That's turned out to almost certainly not be true, but if it were true, I would want to know.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would rank the assassination of President Lincoln way up there in historical importance. If the assassin actually got away with it, I want to know -- or if history is already accurate, I want to know that. For years they thought that Columbus was the first European to visit either American continent. They found out at one point, however, that the Vikings actually came here first. I'm glad they found out that information and corrected it. I just want to know with accuracy what happened. If they can find out info we didn't know about some historical figure -- Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Winston Churchhill, Marie Antoinette -- don't you want to know? Regardless of what it is? They figured out that Marie Antoinette never actually said "let them eat cake." Someone else said that years before the revolution. Don't you prefer to know the truth, whatever the truth may be? There was a rumor that Hitler escaped at the end of World War II and lived a long life in South America. That's turned out to almost certainly not be true, but if it were true, I would want to know.
Hitler is a completely different thing, for pretty obvious reasons, not the least of which being that he could have lived well into the 20th century, had that been true.
I'd much rather learn about all the historical figures who were left out of the history books, because of their race or culture, than learn whether Boothe died immediately after shooting Lincoln or several years later.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Hitler is a completely different thing, for pretty obvious reasons, not the least of which being that he could have lived well into the 20th century, had that been true.
I'd much rather learn about all the historical figures who were left out of the history books, because of their race or culture, than learn whether Boothe died immediately after shooting Lincoln or several years later.

I'm interested in that as well. If there's someone who is not well known in history, but who was an interesting person, I'd be totally down with learning about them, like if Columbus had a first mate who made a big difference in the voyage's success. That would be totally interesting. I'm interested in almost anything. I'm bummed that the Neanderthals lived without recording any history, as they hadn't invented any type of written record. If they had a language, we don't know what it was like. If they had religious beliefs, we don't know anything about those. We do know that they buried their dead and they helped their weaker tribal members to survive and that they hunted game and cooked meat. But there's a bunch that we just don't know. I would love to invent a time viewer portal that would let you look back through time.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm interested in that as well. If there's someone who is not well known in history, but who was an interesting person, I'd be totally down with learning about them, like if Columbus had a first mate who made a big difference in the voyage's success. That would be totally interesting. I'm interested in almost anything. I'm bummed that the Neanderthals lived without recording any history, as they hadn't invented any type of written record. If they had a language, we don't know what it was like. If they had religious beliefs, we don't know anything about those. We do know that they buried their dead and they helped their weaker tribal members to survive and that they hunted game and cooked meat. But there's a bunch that we just don't know. I would love to invent a time viewer portal that would let you look back through time.

Or maybe the odd Cabin Boy perhaps?

687474703a2f2f7777772e7468656c696e2e6e65742f6c617572656e742f63696e656d612f66696c6d732f7474303038363631382f35303930382e6a7067

LOL........

timb2

Reaction score
If you look at John Wilkes Booth & John St. Helen. Booth had a eyebrow thing like The Rock has and the cadaver picture of John St.Helen has it also. It looks like it could be a older heavier version of Booth and in the same age range. Also Mysteries at the Museum did a show said there was a Doctor who went to St. HELEN because he was very ill in the 1880s Well when you think you gonna die you confess your sins which St. Helen said he was Booth and escaped out the back of the barn. The one thing , St. Helen got better and the Doctor just shrugged it off as nothing. A lawyer when St. Helen died in 1905 gave that Doctor a note telling the Doctor you know the truth and tell everyone who he really is.

search

search

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Are you familiar with Tadeusz Kosciuszko? I'm neither a history buff, nor a documentary fan, but I watched a doc on him called Kosciuszko: A Man Before His Time, and it was absolutely fascinating. I can't even convey how many things he did for, not only this country, but for Poland and IIRC, one or two other countries. If not for him, we may not have won the Revolutionary War.