Did McCarthy take these Riverboat Risk in Green Bay

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I will give this much to McCarthy he let the players know we were not going to sit back and just try to make the score reputable, he was willing to throw the kitchen sink at Atlanta to get back into this game. I admit some of his calls I did not agree with but maybe I have become to conservative over the last few years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's the guy I always think about when it comes to football analytics. Goes against everything "conventional wisdom" tells us, and just keeps racking up wins.
It’s not going to work in NFL . Teams will sniff it out and stuff it. It’s why we rarely see it.

Fans love to see it cause they always want to go for it. But their butt isn’t on the line if it doesn’t work.

But yea, at the amateur level can get away with it over matching your opponents with talent.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I will give this much to McCarthy he let the players know we were not going to sit back and just try to make the score reputable, he was willing to throw the kitchen sink at Atlanta to get back into this game. I admit some of his calls I did not agree with but maybe I have become to conservative over the last few years.
But all teams are basically conservative. You go with the odds.

Landry did. Jimmy did , etc. except on very rare occasion you attempt trickery or go against the odds. The less you do it the better chance it works.

After 2 games now of this Riverboat Gambling every team will be looking for it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
But all teams are basically conservative. You go with the odds.

Landry did. Jimmy did , etc. except on very rare occasion you attempt trickery or go against the odds. The less you do it the better chance it works.

After 2 games now of this Riverboat Gambling every team will be looking for it now,

Not when you are trailing, like we were. Your right teams will look for it and it can create hesitation because teams are concerned. I don't expect Dallas will attempt fake punts all the time but teams will be less inclined to turn their backs and get down field to set up blocks for their return man, after all you never know when Dallas will fake it. I don't mind putting extra thoughts into the opponents head

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not when you are trailing, like we were. Your right teams will look for it and it can create hesitation because teams are concerned. I don't expect Dallas will attempt fake punts all the time but teams will be less inclined to turn their backs and get down field to set up blocks for their return man, after all you never know when Dallas will fake it. I don't mind putting extra thoughts into the opponents head
Unbelievable more fans aren’t calling these risk out?

But like I said. There’s a segment of fans every time who want to go for it. Reckless I’d argue.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

I think we were all programmed into the Garrett "process" psychology for many years that we are jolted and shocked to see something different.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Unbelievable more fans aren’t calling these risk out?

But like I said. There’s a segment of fans every time who want to go for it. Reckless I’d argue.

It depends on the situation. It also has a lot to do with film they see through out the week. The fake punt\pass was there it was not executed. I watched Landry call that with Danny White on many times and saw Fassel call it when he was with the Rams. This does not mean I agree with all but I have to admit in a game like yesterday taking chances given how poor we started were worth the risk.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
3 times in 2 games. In those situations?

Fans are really ok with this.

I think Atlanta went for it on 4th down 4 times against Seattle and failed all 4. They went for it on 4th down all except once against us.

I would rather take our chances trying to win the game than give the ball back to Atlanta who will go for it on 4th down regardless.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think we were all programmed into the Garrett "process" psychology for many years that we are jolted and shocked to see something different.

Maybe so, If there was a good time to fake the punt then everyone would know and does not make it much of a surprise. Dallas was down and they tried something to get it turned around. It failed but I do think every team we will face will have that in the back of their minds and that creates hesitation and uncertainty

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think Atlanta went for it on 4th down 4 times against Seattle and failed all 4. They went for it on 4th down all except once against us.

I would rather take our chances trying to win the game than give the ball back to Atlanta who will go for it on 4th down regardless.
Most teams go for 4th down near the end of the game as time is running out or on the opposing side of field where a punt isn’t going to gain much field position.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I already enjoy McCarthy's press conferences way more than Garrett or Wade. At least McCarthy sounds like he knows what he's talking about and is willing to stand up for his strategies. Garrett would dance around the topic by giving the "safe" response. Wade would just sound lost.

McCarthy also admitted that the fake punts were a bad decision that he wishes he could have back. At least he knows when to admit a mistake.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Most teams go for 4th down near the end of the game as time is running out or on the opposing side of field where a punt isn’t going to gain much field position.

Most teams? Come on. We both know that ain't true.

Atlanta never let up during the entire game. They did the same thing with the Seahawks. As they did with us.

They went for 4th downs 4 times against the Seahawks and its not because time was running out.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yes but was it a moral victory?
Down twenty points in the 1st quarter and we outscored them the other 3.
Came from behind in the absolute end.
Special teams pulled out a victory.
Beat a touch team in our conference.
The team didn't quit once.
HC/OC didn't just take what the defense was giving team.

I'd say it was. At any rate, who cares? A win is a win.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
I’m curious if anyone knows if he took these kind of risk in Green Bay? And as often.

And I saw the Riverboat Mike reference in Ft Worth Star Telegram. I thought it was fitting.

What do fans think about all of these risk on 4th down which aren’t panning out. Never seen anything like it in NFL. It appears very troubling to me.
its so funny on that snap I said, bet its a fake

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Down twenty points in the 1st quarter and we outscored them the other 3.
Came from behind in the absolute end.
Special teams pulled out a victory.
Beat a touch team in our conference.
The team didn't quit once.
HC/OC didn't just take what the defense was giving team.

I'd say it was. At any rate, who cares? A win is a win.
we all care because there are more games to come. The only time I say "who cares a win is a win" is in the super bowl

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
on ST he should have stepped in and not ran those fake punts. The goal line call to go for 2 I have no issue with. It was the right thing to do. Only issue was the play call itself. I want the ball in Daks hands on that,not Zeke.Dak had the hot hand and we should have passed on the play.
In no universe was going for 2 points the right thing to do there. It is silly that fans think this was smart. It is literally mind boggling. Kicking the extra point was and is clearly the correct call. It puts you within 8 points which is a 1 score to tie scenario. It also prevents you from having to recover a miraculous onside kick. That was a miracle plain and simple. The chance of doing that is next to impossible. Kicking the extra point guys when down by 9 points with 4 minutes left in the game will always be the right call. It gives you a legit chance to tie the game on 1 drive. No need for 2 drives. Sheesh.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
we all care because there are more games to come. The only time I say "who cares a win is a win" is in the super bowl
Good for you, I'm enjoying the win. "We", aren't playing. They are and they're looking at Seattle right now. Especially a conference game, that can be huge later on. Feel free to not appreciate what it is.