Did Micah influence Dallas to pick Vander Esch?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I was watching law. And he played a interview of Micah being asked what the team needed. Said he wanted Payne, but he was franchise. Said they needed a big body cb, check. Said they needed to keep LVE, check. And needed a wr, check.

So did he influence the team to pass on Wagner, and re-sign Vander Esch? If I remember this was right before FA started. Then a couple days later they had all these trades and Signings.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I was watching law. And he played a interview of Micah being asked what the team needed. Said he wanted Payne, but he was franchise. Said they needed a big body cb, check. Said they needed to keep LVE, check. And needed a wr, check.

So did he influence the team to pass on Wagner, and re-sign Vander Esch? If I remember this was right before FA started. Then a couple days later they had all these trades and Signings.
A sensible approach. Similarly I would of hoped they asked Dak whether he wanted to retain Coop or Schultz.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

No barring what so ever, Quinn said he was their most improved player

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Going to be LVE vs. Wagner comparisons all season long.
However much of their success also depends on a strong DL. We don't have that in DT's. Not sure what Seattle's DL is like, and their DT's.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Going to be LVE vs. Wagner comparisons all season long.
It's like a conspiracy theory where fans just cant believe that Wagner probably wanted to go back to Seattle.

"So Bobby, why choose Seattle?"
...."well I may actually like the place as ive spent 10 years there and ive made over $90m, so dont care about another couple of $$$"

kevinhickey

Reaction score

We know what Wagner signed for; however, we don’t know what he was asking for when it started. The price may have been around $10 million. Also teams were not breaking down LVE door to sign him which presented an opportunity for us to resign him for a bargain. We also don’t know about all the deals the front office was in on, trades, franchise tag, and trying to resign our own. I would’ve love the addition of Wagner; however, I’m happy with what they accomplished so far. We also have several younger LB’s who need reps. Let’s cross our fingers and hope they have a breakout during training camp.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Dallas was going to sign one linebacker, it was either going to be Wagner or LVE........Wagner wanted too much money, LVE was the cheaper option and that's why he was signed and I always thought Wagner would be heading back to Seattle anyway unless a team really stepped up on the contract money and Dallas wasn't going to do that...had nothing to do with Micah

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We know what Wagner signed for; however, we don’t know what he was asking for when it started. The price may have been around $10 million. Also teams were not breaking down LVE door to sign him which presented an opportunity for us to resign him for a bargain. We also don’t know about all the deals the front office was in on, trades, franchise tag, and trying to resign our own. I would’ve love the addition of Wagner; however, I’m happy with what they accomplished so far. We also have several younger LB’s who need reps. Let’s cross our fingers and hope they have a breakout during training camp.
Clark was playing better as the year progressed in his limited playing time for missing the off-season and TC.
Maybe the light goes on for cox this season and he plays better.

Wagner would hav been a nice addition, and would not have been a progress stopper, as he could have mentored the LB group including Micah.

But yeah, we have no idea his asking price at the time, nor his strong desire to return to Seattle. However, too bad some fans will not see it that way.
I am glad LVE returned, and for 2 years, not a 1 year deal. Many fans will go on about him being injury prone, but he really isn't, it was his neck, then a few minor thongs probably as a result of getting back in shape from that neck injury, as well getting back into the full contact.

I still think they need to draft another LB, as Gifford is gone, and needed to be, as well, Barr will not be back, or seems like he will not be.
That leaves Bond, coming off an injury, Harper and Jefferson. So yeah, draft a few LB's, but they never carry that many into TC. It is almost as bad as them getting DT's and S's.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Clark was playing better as the year progressed in his limited playing time for missing the off-season and TC.
Maybe the light goes on for cox this season and he plays better.

Wagner would hav been a nice addition, and would not have been a progress stopper, as he could have mentored the LB group including Micah.

But yeah, we have no idea his asking price at the time, nor his strong desire to return to Seattle. However, too bad some fans will not see it that way.
I am glad LVE returned, and for 2 years, not a 1 year deal. Many fans will go on about him being injury prone, but he really isn't, it was his neck, then a few minor thongs probably as a result of getting back in shape from that neck injury, as well getting back into the full contact.

I still think they need to draft another LB, as Gifford is gone, and needed to be, as well, Barr will not be back, or seems like he will not be.
That leaves Bond, coming off an injury, Harper and Jefferson. So yeah, draft a few LB's, but they never carry that many into TC. It is almost as bad as them getting DT's and S's.
Yep on the LVE/Wagner question, it's evident Wagner wanted to go back to Seattle (and money wasnt a factor), so we pivoted to LVE as a quick sign (and move on approach).

Im not sure we're desperate for a LB as many think (especially early rounds). I think we'll expect/(hope) that Clark/Cox/Harper/Williams step up and with our prosperity to play Nickel Defense we dont rely on the LB position.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Micah needs to stay off Twitter to be relevant about player upgrades

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
It's like a conspiracy theory where fans just cant believe that Wagner probably wanted to go back to Seattle.

"So Bobby, why choose Seattle?"
...."well I may actually like the place as ive spent 10 years there and ive made over $90m, so dont care about another couple of $$$"
He changed his picture on Twitter to a pic of Washington. Its was obvious he loved that place

Havic

Reaction score
Imo Wagner took less to go back to Seattle. He probably would have played here instead for 1 year 10-12 mil

TexasBacon

Reaction score
It blows my mind how people are complaining about LVE. Did no one see how far the defense fell off while he was out last year? He made a huge difference with his play calling alone and was playing well too. Glad he's back, and on a good deal. I'd rather have him than overpay for Wagner.

CWR

Reaction score
A sensible approach. Similarly I would of hoped they asked Dak whether he wanted to retain Coop or Schultz.

Meh, kind of but also that's probably going to be biased. These guys form bonds and I'd wager more often than not they would choose their current teammate over a FA.

It would be a better question if choosing between multiple FAs who aren't already established in Dallas.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

The Cowboys like their guys and Wagner had to want to come to Dallas, as opposed to returning to familiar surroundings.

As for Cooks, they made a push to try to acquire him at the trade deadline so it's no surprise they went after him again.