Did Nagy pass Arkin?

Reaction score
I am hearing all Nagy news this week which is positive given we can't develop O-lineman in this league but I don't hear any Arkin news.

I thought Arkin did a solid job in the last game. Any news items on him this week?

I'd love to see Free-Arkin-Costa-Kosier-Smith start this year.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
CanadianCowboy2;4057163 said:
I'd love to see Free-Arkin-Costa-Kosier-Smith start this year.

I'd love to see a good o-line, and I don't care who plays and who doesn't. I just want production from them.

With that said, at San Antonio, Nagy looked like he was more athletic and played with better leverage.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If he did "pass" him I think that says more about how good Nagu is than anything else.

Arkin had a heck of a game against Denver.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I don't think he passed him. I think they just wanted to give Nagy some work with the 1st team like they did with Arkin.

I think what it means more than anything is that they are down on Montrae Holland.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I loved the Nagy pick when we selected him. Not that I knew anything about him, but because I thought Garrett probably received some inside info on him.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Gurode is going to start for us, most likely at center. If for some reason, Costa were to start at center (very, very unlikely), Gurode would start at guard. The bottom line is Gurode IS a starter.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
It may be that Nagy at this point is more prepared for the NFL coming from Wisconsin rather than a small school.

Woods

Reaction score
casmith07;4057179 said:
I don't think he passed him. I think they just wanted to give Nagy some work with the 1st team like they did with Arkin.

I think what it means more than anything is that they are down on Montrae Holland.

That's my initial reaction as well.

They probably want to see if Nagy can fill in as a starter or at the minimum as a capable back-up if necessary.

Let's see what JG decides to do with Holland.

Heck, maybe they keep Kowalski (sp?) instead as a back-up Center for this year and move Costa to OG? If that happens, Holland is not needed.

I think they are considering all the iterations on the OL.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
casmith07;4057179 said:

Really? I think the direct opposite.

The more the move these guys around, the more I think they're just trying to see how they look in different spots until Holland gets back. If Arkin (or Nagy or Costa) had held the job down since Holland got injured I think that would've put him in more jeopardy.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I think Garett and Houck want to see everyone of these guys go up against first teamers to get an evaluation if these guys can help us down the road...Never understood having guys playing against other teams third and fourth stringers, you just don't get a good evaluation on offensive linemen doing that

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I also think this is great that we're seeing this kind of evaluation by the coaches instead of the usual "play the first team then sit them down and let the scrubs play d-league ball" evaluation that Wade Phillips used to do around here.

Garrett's giving the younger players every opportunity to shine, just as many here have been clamoring for for the last 5 years.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
newnationcb;4057217 said:

The more the move these guys around, the more I think they're just trying to see how they look in different spots until Holland gets back. If Arkin (or Nagy or Costa) had held the job down since Holland got injured I think that would've put him in more jeopardy.

I tend to agree.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
newnationcb;4057217 said:

Same here. Houck and Jerry (who is getting his info from Houck) have done nothing but praise Holland.

And Holland hasn't been playing because he's been hurt. It's like people forget that.

visionary

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4057338 said:
Same here. Houck and Jerry (who is getting his info from Houck) have done nothing but praise Holland.

And Holland hasn't been playing because he's been hurt. It's like people forget that.

i dont agree

i htink holland is pretty much done

they are letting the young guys play and praising holland to do 2 things:

1) get a good idea of what these guys can do against first teamers
2) get the price down for brian waters

AbeBeta

Reaction score
visionary;4057345 said:
i dont agree

i htink holland is pretty much done

they are letting the young guys play and praising holland to do 2 things:

1) get a good idea of what these guys can do against first teamers
2) get the price down for brian waters

don't buy it on Waters - pretty late in the game at this point

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
AbeBeta;4057354 said:
don't buy it on Waters - pretty late in the game at this point

I agree. The fact that 31 other teams have not bothered to contact Waters tells me that they are just not all that impressed and consider him a last resort option. The same can be said for Bigg.

And, for those of you who don't think it would be wise to go into the season with two rookies on the starting o-line, would you rather have a repeat of last year? It was a veteran line but not a very good one.

Anyway, I think Garrett's goal is to make the line more athletic. I think his system is based on movement and not power. Power running in short yardage situations may suffer but I think there will be greater opportunities for big plays off the run.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
If he did pass Arkin that is good news for the future of the offensive line in my opinion. We know Arkin can play, he just has to get a bit stronger at the point of attack. You cant help but grin from ear to ear at the thought of Dallas actually hitting on 3 offensive in one draft.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Our 7th round draft pick who didn't even start is beating out our 4th round draft pick from a small school!

Championship!